DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First close call while learning to orbit in POI mode.

robmcdon

Reactions
After a successful orbit I tired to track an individual. The drone flew right into tree limbs and stayed flying even though encircled. I pressed the return home key and slowly the drone found its way out of the branches and returned home. The blade tips were nicked so I presume they are no longer optimal and I ordered new ones.
I also presume the anti collision feature does not work while recording in POI mode. Lesson learned, make sure your are above the tree line.

What drone are you flying?

Reactions: twickers14
Even when operation, you cannot fully depend on OA to spot and avoid thin or tiny tree limbs that can still interfere with your drone.

Reactions: Dbez1
BTW if you need to replace one blade on a motor you should replace BOTH blades on that motor, they are supplied in weight etc. matched pairs and should be used as such.

Tree branches and other thin objects are hard for the obstacle-avoidance to spot. As well, a number of drones don't have sideways OA which is probably more needed than forward-facing OA given where the camera points.

I like having it, but I don't rely on it. If I'm doing an orbit or tracking shot I want do do that somewhere where there aren't any trees, unless I can get a decent shot from above them.

I'd recommend replacing all the props. They are cheap, much cheaper than a crashed drone because the prop had a hidden stress fracture.

Reactions: twickers14
BTW if you need to replace one blade on a motor you should replace BOTH blades on that motor, they are supplied in weight etc. matched pairs and should be used as such.
Don't people always replace both blades? I've never heard of anyone replacing only one blade.

I’m glad you got the drone back. It doesn’t always work out like that. Lesson learned.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne