DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First crash today

Macabre

Reactions
After flying my Mavic for a couple of months without crashing (and it was my first ever drone) and getting confident, I decided to see what the big fuss about flying indoors is about.
It fired up in Atti mode, I lifted about a meter up in the air and.... it started drifting to the left and backwards. Since it was not very high up, it took only a couple of seconds to drift towards my bicycle which was nearby and I could just watch as it crashed in the bicycle.
But. There is not a single scratch on it. I can't even see as much as a dent on the propellers. It fired up fine afterwards but I did not try to take off again ;)
There's more damage to my bike as it made a small cut in the rubber.
It seems I got very lucky. Lesson learned, don't fly indoors.

The Mavic is not meant for indoors. Not sure why you even wanted to try that after all your great experiences flying outdoors, already knowing how it worked and performed. There is a lot of material online you could've read first before trying that, about drift when in atti mode, others bad experiences already documented. Glad it was not harmed much.

When flying MP’s indoors you should use prop guards, put it in cinema mode to make the sticks less sensitive, turn off returned home and collision avoidance. I work in public safety and we have found many reasons to fly in MP inside structures.

I have flown my MP and even my Inspire In doors. If you set it up to do that it can be done. Would I recommend it no.

After flying my Mavic for a couple of months without crashing (and it was my first ever drone) and getting confident, I decided to see what the big fuss about flying indoors is about.
It fired up in Atti mode, I lifted about a meter up in the air and.... it started drifting to the left and backwards. Since it was not very high up, it took only a couple of seconds to drift towards my bicycle which was nearby and I could just watch as it crashed in the bicycle.
But. There is not a single scratch on it. I can't even see as much as a dent on the propellers. It fired up fine afterwards but I did not try to take off again ;)
There's more damage to my bike as it made a small cut in the rubber.
It seems I got very lucky. Lesson learned, don't fly indoors.
I never fly my mavic pro platinum indoors. The only thing I did indoors is turned on the propulsion system to warm up the motors after not using the mavic for a month. But not a good idea to fly indoors, specially after I paid $1099 dollars. I rather use my Hubsan drone that I have for indoors flying.

I know this has turned into a discussion about flying indoors...but the subject is what attracted me. I also had my first accident today...in my 2nd hour of flying...I lifted up, full throttle, into a branch I didn't see. My MPP FLIPPED OVER...but righted itself and continued to fly! I landed it right away and inspected the damage. Only a chipped prop, which I promptly replaced, even though she still flew perfectly well (no need to risk it).

I can't believe she righted from completely upside down...but she did!

I continue to love this hobby and am completely amazed at what DJI can produce for under 1M! :)

- Gary

LMAO

Wish I had seen this thread before. Just had my first crashes - both indoors. This time I did not have my prop guards on. I will not try that again. I echo the Hubsan advice ....

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121