DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First crash...totally my fault :)

ElPocho

Reactions
I had my first crash a couple days ago while on vacation. The cause? Pure and simple I went into panic mode and crashed it.

I had the downward VPS turned off since I was flying over the ocean. I still don't know if I even need to do this. Even if it was on I am not sure it would have made a difference. I had one issue where it was a really close to the Return Home spot but a bit too close to a table on the lawn. I took over RTH and moved it and landed away from the table.

Anyway, I was brining my Mavic back in and my dog saw it and went crazy. She ran up the steps to my wife who I THOUGHT would grab her. Just as I was bringing the Mavic in the dog went after it. I crashed it into the steps as you can see in the video. Full on PANIC mode. I didn't want to crash but also didn't want the dog to get it while the rotors were spinning. Amazing, aside from a couple scratches and a Gimbal Vibration warning on the the next flight, there was no serious damage. I slid the bracket into place under the gimbal and it works fine now.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

A good rule of thumb,is when things get a little wild,add throttle to climb up out of trouble. It dosen't work 100% of the time,but darn near it!

The WORST part is I knew that was what I needed to do. But my brain froze. Also, not seen in the video, is our other dog running behind me towards where I wanted to land. Next time, no dogs.

Reactions: Ron_Dog
Hey, at least you didn't call out "Hey, watch this!".........

In all seriousness, yes, you do have to watch out for the dogs.......

Reactions: ElPocho
I'll only admit to being a dumbass! If I can't blame the dog, i'm blaming the tequila. :)
I've had a couple of near misses with dogs making a run for my drone. 1st occasion I was already on the ground and powered off rotors and was able to beat the dog to it and the 2nd occasion I powered up and shot up leaving the dog for dust.
I never bring her in to land with dogs around.
I had one encounter also on the beach with a dog and I was coming in to land but a dog left it's owner and decided my drone was more interesting. I tried to do a lap but it wouldn't go away and my battery was on vapours so to spk.
Eventually I flew by the owner so he could leash her leaving me enough to land where I wanted.

We have a small Lab/Golden Retriever mix,named Blondie. She goes after anything that moves,so I have to make sure she is inside when I fly,or the attack is on! LOL! I can totally relate to the "Brain Freeze" as I'm old now,and it happens more often for me!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chrispmooney