DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First crash

Up & Adam

Reactions
So, had my first crash yesterday.
It was dark but I was showing my Mavic to a friend that's still waiting for his to arrive, put it in sport mode to show off the speed and clipped a tree.

Lost 1 propeller and damaged the other 3 (see photo), recovered the drone from the hedge it was lodged in, swapped the props and its good at new.

Who else has survived a crash?

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots
8eee54e5dd2f8c251e77a556a6921196.jpg

Yep. 4 broken propsbut it works fine after swapping them out. Also have a few dings and scratches on the body. Kinda feel better about it as I don't have to baby the thing so much now.

Last edited:
Did almost the same thing, I was practicing pitched turns vs. rudder only drift like turns and didn't see the leafless tree branch on my right(through the FPV). Two props broken, nice Lion King scar (scratch on the plastic case) across the Mavic now.

On the outside I smiled, retrieved my bird, said, "man, that was reckless of me".
Inside I cried knowing I almost killed my zero-G, segway-hummingbird/hawk.

Reactions: stratos
Did almost the same thing, I was practicing pitched turns vs. rudder only drift like turns and didn't see the leafless tree branch on my right(through the FPV). Two props broken, nice Lion King scar (scratch on the plastic case) across the Mavic now.

On the outside I smiled, retrieved my bird, said, "man, that was reckless of me".

I crashed mine indoors (trying a tricky maneuver, I'll post a video and explanation at some point). I can verify that, as I've seen on another post, a Mr Clean magic eraser can make much of the plastic look good as new.

Heh Heh, hit a bunch of trees on my third flight. Dang things are hard to see in the winter with frost. Was hoping for obstacle avoidance to jump in and save me. It didn't. Took out 3 props, and dropped to the ground into a pile of snow. I too got a lion king scrape across the top, but that seems to be it. Gimbal survived the crash. Just bought the Care-refresh yesterday too.....just in case you know. I'm lucky this time.....

I too had my first crash yesterday and same scenario. I clipped bare branches and got hung up, kind of panicked and hit pause and Mavic dropped, luckily only 8' to soft wet ground but still broke three props like the picture above and fourth prop snapped in two. Also just only recently put on a skin which took the brunt of the scrapes and scratches.

However, it got me thinking, what is an appropriate protocol after a crash? I inspected best I could and pulled out a couple of branch chips stuck in the motor with a tweezer. Also started up and ran motors without props. I couldn't test fly because I only had two replacement props, two new sets come tomorrow. Anything else I should do?

Reactions: steve6009
I too had my first crash yesterday and same scenario. I clipped bare branches and got hung up, kind of panicked and hit pause and Mavic dropped, luckily only 8' to soft wet ground but still broke three props like the picture above and fourth prop snapped in two.
Why did it drop when you hit pause? I thought it's just supposed to stop in place?

Good to hear it's still working and the new skin protected the case for you.

I hit the top of a tree and seemingly hit every branch on the way down. Landed in a mud puddle. Lost all 4 props and broke the rear gimbal hook. Camera and aircraft seem completely unaffected and I've been flying just fine ever since.

Hey, I panicked too! Funny how that goes..... I shut the motors down as it was thrashing through the branches like a weed whacker. One of the front Arms had folded back against the body on mine, but no damage done. I dusted things off, put on new blades, reved up the motors and continued to fly after a very careful visual check. Things to check?.....I exercised the Gimbal, and when I got home, I did a Gimbal recalibration just to make sure it was OK. I didn't have the heart to check the flight logs and see what it said....llike motor overload, etc. I also took a real careful look at the gimbal mounts to make sure the rubber bands weren't broken. ......i am sure we could make a comprehensive "post crash" list.....I vow that will be my last crash (lol)

A refreshing thread of people sharing the way THEY crashed their Mavics and assume it. This rather than looking for excuses and crapping all over DJI about "what is wrong with the Mavic".
Thanks for sharing, fly carefully folks and have fun!

Last edited:
However, it got me thinking, what is an appropriate protocol after a crash? I inspected best I could and pulled out a couple of branch chips stuck in the motor with a tweezer. Also started up and ran motors without props. I couldn't test fly because I only had two replacement props, two new sets come tomorrow. Anything else I should do?
Sounds like you've done well. I'd add looking in the area behind the gimbal to see if anything is clogging the intake vent.

Why did it drop when you hit pause? I thought it's just supposed to stop in place?

Good to hear it's still working and the new skin protected the case for you.

I'm not really sure what I did. The Mavic was hung up in the trees and as I was walking over to it, it flipped out of the tree and landed on its top. I dropped the throttle picked it up and powered down the battery. As I said I panicked as this was my first crash with it. I looked around to blame my kids but they were in the house. :)

Last edited:
thrashing through the branches like a weed whacker. (lol)

KevyDR, my crash sounds like a carbon copy of yours, even one arm bent in.

Thanks everyone for confessing it's happened to them and the list of items to check.

Well i suffered a less glorious accident. When returning to land my Mavic hovered and when asked to land it just literally fall from the sky (1 meter dropped or so) and then it bounced. It looks that it was not able to meter properly the distance to the ground with the sensors, I was landing on a Golf couse green and I assume that because it was a very untextured place it just couldnt land properly. Got my 4 back props chipped and some scars behind on the top of the heat exhaust. Somehow, I like those scars, it give the aircraft some character. :)

Reactions: IcySparks

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Odnicokev