DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First DJI Mavic Pro 2 Crash Using Active Track 2.0!!

Agree on setting altitude to avoid obstacles but why did the Mavik Pro 2 change sides? Perhaps the new predictive software is faulty. Will a Mavik Pro Platinum do the same thing in active track?
Thinking of a park near me a change of sides while racking on the path might put the drone over a highway which is illegal.
It appeared to have lost its tracking subject and wandered a bit as they often do when moving quickly and loosening their subject.

I had the Mavic Tracking from behind with an 11% offset to the side. I have did a few test since with active track following me running through a forest and it has performed great. I still need to make time to get the logs off my phone but I reviewed the stick movements in the flight playback and there was defiantly no movement of the sticks by accident while I was driving. I am really getting tired of the comments about setting a safe altitude. Clearly that is not the issue and not what I was testing. When I told the Mavic to remain on that side of me it should have. There was no way it came in contact with any other obstacle and tried going around it at that altitude and a speed of 10mph it should have been able to keep up without a problem. I guaranty the issue was that it lost track and with the new Mavic 2 it tries to project where you will be. It projected wrong and made a fatal error to fly to the opposite side of the road. Simple as that.
I don't think flight logs would help you, unless it tells you how it calculates projections on subject movement.
You were moving out of frame, which means it wasn't able to keep up following sideways. Manual says the lateral flight speed is limited to 18 mph. There's only 1 left/right vision sensor, which means it can't determine depth. Also, if you look at the FOV of the vision system, there are a few blind spots.
It tried to swing around to bring you back into view, and the software wasn't robust enough to project the correct path. Obviously, the power lines didn't help.
upload_2018-9-10_13-31-3.png

Reactions: Goof
I don't think flight logs would help you, unless it tells you how it calculates projections on subject movement.
You were moving out of frame, which means it wasn't able to keep up following sideways. Manual says the lateral flight speed is limited to 18 mph. There's only 1 left/right vision sensor, which means it can't determine depth. Also, if you look at the FOV of the vision system, there are a few blind spots.
It tried to swing around to bring you back into view, and the software wasn't robust enough to project the correct path. Obviously, the power lines didn't help.
View attachment 45994
Nice RayOZ, I think we just found the answer. Manual says the lateral flight speed is limited to 18 mph.

DJI needs to look into slewing the yaw more in these situations. We have a +/- 75 degree yaw on the gimbal, and these fast lateral tracking shots is the perfect time to use it.

This way we can track at faster speeds, as well as use the more robust front sensing system in more situations.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Drsmurph