DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First Drone Purchase - Opinions please?

Adama93

Reactions
Hello All,

This question may have been asked before but I have a few questions to ask - just to get an opinion really. I am thinking about purchasing a drone - the DJI Mavic Mini 2 in particular. Drones are something that have always interested me but I've never really taken the plunge. Obviously these bits of kit aren't the cheapest (although I understand the price is decent for what you get).

My only concern is having nowhere to be able to fly the drone. I live in the Midlands and do a lot of road trips to different beauty spots - mainly Peak District, as I enjoy hiking. I have read online that drones aren't permitted on National Trust land. Is this the same scenario for lots of other scenic places around the UK?

I just don't want to waste £500 on something that I'm not really able to fly anywhere 'decent'. I get the vibe that drones are thought of in a negative way, do you get much hassle off passers by when you're out flying? I've also read stories of people having to ask the land owners permission just to fly - this all sounds very long winded for a short drone flight.

Is it worth it?

Thanks for reading!

Reactions: Droniac
Me thinks you should do some more research on the benefits of 'stepping up' feature sets (e.g. more expensive drone). You don't say exactly what your criteria is, but if it's based solely on price, I would do some more research. I can only speak for myself, but I didn't buy my drone with the intent of upgrading in a year (or two).
Just sayin'

Hello All,

This question may have been asked before but I have a few questions to ask - just to get an opinion really. I am thinking about purchasing a drone - the DJI Mavic Mini 2 in particular. Drones are something that have always interested me but I've never really taken the plunge. Obviously these bits of kit aren't the cheapest (although I understand the price is decent for what you get).

My only concern is having nowhere to be able to fly the drone. I live in the Midlands and do a lot of road trips to different beauty spots - mainly Peak District, as I enjoy hiking. I have read online that drones aren't permitted on National Trust land. Is this the same scenario for lots of other scenic places around the UK?

I just don't want to waste £500 on something that I'm not really able to fly anywhere 'decent'. I get the vibe that drones are thought of in a negative way, do you get much hassle off passers by when you're out flying? I've also read stories of people having to ask the land owners permission just to fly - this all sounds very long winded for a short drone flight.

Is it worth it?

Thanks for reading!
Hey! I've been flying drones for almost a decade now. Often by asking questions and also making use of apps like airmap you can fly your drone most anywhere. The Mavic Mini series are all great for beginners/ recreational pilots. Also, my experience has been that passers by are often just curious. Because of the negative rumors about drones, if you take the time to explain to them, and even show them the live feed you get on your device, or even just some awesome pictures, they sometimes even become interested in flying themselves.

Hello All,

Is it worth it?

Thanks for reading!
What type of photography do you do and what equipment do you use?

Reactions: Droniac
Hello All,

Is it worth it?

Thanks for reading!
A Mavic Mini 2 seems like a very good choice for a beginner drone! If you don't mind me asking, what do you want to use the drone for? Commercial use? Hobby or for an online photography social media? I gotta ask as its interesting seeing new drone pilots out there. Although before you purchase anything, I do have to say you should check with local and your country's rules and laws on flying drones and where you can fly them. Helps with time and trouble as its good to be prepared!

You can't land or take off from National Trust property, but there isn't a problem with using drones in UK National Parks.

Here's a link to loads of aerial footage of the Peak District, most of which were taken using drones:

Go ahead and buy a Mini 2 and I'm sure you won't regret it, as you have some stunning landscapes on your doorstep.

I bought an MM2 last month and have used it quite a bit since. I ve had a number of drones over the years (P2, M1, Spark, Anafi). and the MM2 is really the best so far. The transmission distance is amazing, great video, and most importantly things work with no glitches.

you can install the DJI FLY app and use the map to ID no fly zones or areas with restricted altitudes. It will give you a good idea of where you can fly. It seems to be pretty accurate although here in the US National Parks done show up and I m pretty sure drones are not allowed.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54