DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First editing attempt - Paddleboarding from above:

Rogerlin

Reactions
Hi,

Being a tad self indulgent I am posting a link to my first real effort. I was flying around by the coast in Spain and met this chap who was with a paddleboarding group, he asked me if I would film them. I did, then attempted an edit with Filmora and sent him the film, he was so gratefull it made me feel great.

Mavic 2 Zoom - 25 fps - 1/50 & iso 100

ND 16 fitted

One or two basic mistakes but.....

Any advice would be most welcome!!

Last edited:
Nice! You have a lot of good material to work with, a very pretty coastline and some willing human subjects! My recommendations would be to incorporate more camera movement, don't dwell on a particular scene more than 6-10 seconds, and to use more simple cross fade transitions between the clips and lose the "cute" canned transitions. The shorter clip length would allow you to set them more to the music beat. That's great that you shared the video with those guys!

Great opportunity and beautiful spot. My only advice would be more closeups. This is where the zoom gives you the advantage.

A good first start.
Love the rocks and the water very well done

Like everything else we all have our individual styles and you will find yours. I choose my transitions based on the theme of the video. If i'm making a funky or funny movie then i will use stuff like that but if i'm doing something serious or nice I stick to cuts or cross dissolves. Also perhaps an ND32 filter. If you turn on the overexposed "Zebra stripes" in your camera settings you can see what is too hot. and you might need to tone down your EV settings. when you are looking down at them all the boards are a little overexposed

Please don't take my notes too harshley, just stuff I have learned. Like i said every filmmaker has his own style of shooting and editing.
Cant wait to see more of your stuff.

Reactions: hactick and Twocalf
Thanks guys, good stuff....

I was aware the nd 16 was not up to the very bright sunshine and may have even gone back to auto. Also gotcha on the transitions its tempting to use them just because you can... and it does look a bit like you're eating all the sweeties in the jar.

But great tips which I will take on board.

Any ideas where I can get a one off nd 32 they all seem to be in sets and I have 4 to 16.

Cheers..

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
canuckdive