DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First flight outdoors and NOT in my backyard!

Westbrook55

Reactions
With the bar set very low, I think I can classify this first real outing as a success. While there was a lesson or two learned, no one was injured and my Mini lives to fly another day. Background: Received my MM/FMC on January 2 (one day earlier than expected!). I had been reading the manual for more than a week when the drone arrived. I updated firmware, calibrated compass and IMU, and then spent the first few days flying indoors with prop guards on, blowing paper and such off tables, kicking up dust balls I hadn't noticed, and mildly traumatizing the dog. (he'll be fine) Then I moved out to my deck where I practiced piloting in the backyard, played with the camera, and tried to get familiar with the DJI Fly app. Before and after receiving the MM, with help from this forum, I ordered a few things I thought would be good to have: PGYTECH Mavic Mini Landing Gear Extensions, Skyreat Mavic Mini Foldable Aluminum Metal 4-12" Ipad Tablet Mount Holder, extra props, and Anbee CNC Aluminum Motor Cap Dust Covers. I have installed and used both the landing gear extensions and the Skyreat phone/tablet holder. I don't have the motor covers yet and am still not convinced I should use them. The landing gear set is good. My only complaint is the MM cannot be stored in the hard case with them attached and the rear legs are a little tricky to get off - I'm worried about applying too much torque. So they are a bit of a pain but I think it gives you a little buffer between the props and the ground - especially the rear props. The Skyreat holder is great! I had originally planned on using it to hold my iPhone8+, which it does very nicely. However, I found that it also holds my iPad Pro just right. I had already purchased a longer connection cable in anticipation of having some type of holder. Using the iPad is sweet! Nice big display. Not sure I'll use it all the time because it's one more thing to carry. Time will tell.

I went to the Stewart B. McKinney National Wildlife Refuge nearby. Lesson #1 - US National Parks do not allow drones. The ranger was very nice and pointed out the sign I had not yet reached. I shut down and got back in the car to head to my next location - Hammonasset State Park in Madison CT. I asked him if there was a similar rule at State Parks. He did not know.

So - I then went out to Meiggs Point at Hammonasset - a rocky, craggy beach - perfect for a newbie drone photographer. I was thankful the wind was nominal and did not come into play at all. It was beautiful and I spend about 20 minutes doing some passes low and slow over the rocks, at the water's edge, went high and panned out over the water, and then did some backwards flying, all with the camera rolling, I thought. Lesson #2 - make sure you have confirmed the camera is rolling when you want to be taking video. I was so psyched as I was flying, thinking I was getting some great newbie footage to share. Sadly, not so. I did change batteries and went across the street and did some passes over a lagoon of sorts before packing it in.

The drone flew beautifully and did exactly what I told it to do, even if it wasn't always what I wanted to do; practice makes perfect. I look forward to my next outing.

#2 is epic as i had it too when i started. When you change from the remote from camera to video, you need to press a second time to start recording. :)
No worries, you'll figure it out next time. Now you got an excuse to go try again and let's face it.. it's a lot of fun.

Safe flights!

glad you had a great first proper flight,the more you do it the more natural it will become, dont worry to much about becoming an amazing videographer to start with, master the controls and your piloting skills first, then you will be able to get those great shots,much easier

You can still use the Flymore case with the leg extensions installed, well, with the rear extensions which are the ones that are a pain to take off. I made a video demonstrating this:

The exact rule about National Parks is you cannot take off or land within a National Park.
But nothing about flying into a park and leaving.
If you see this symbol, it is managed by NPS:
t_500x300.jpg
Now the US Forest service varies from location to location and has a crazy rule:
"Cannot transport a drone through the area".

I can only speak for Texas State Parks but here, it depends on the park superintendent.
One super told me the park was 4.9 miles away from an airport (that rule applied at the time) and the park was a wild turkey refuge.
I thanked him and just as I was about to walk away, the super told be that if I took a right out of the park gates, there is a scenic overlook that is 5.1 miles away from the airport and not inside the park.
You never know unless you ask.

Then again with NPS, USFS and state parks, no one said anything about flying around them...
Captured with a home made 550 hexacopter:

You can still use the Flymore case with the leg extensions installed, well, with the rear extensions which are the ones that are a pain to take off. I made a video demonstrating this:

You are correct sir! :) I'm sure as it goes in and out of the case, it will become easier. Appreciate the feedback.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998