DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First flight venturing out. Didn’t go well

Reactions
Ok, so I live right on the outer edge of Whiting Fields air space in Milton ,Fl. I called to let them know I was going up and they told me it wasn’t necessary to do so every time I fly because I’m on the edge. So today I decided to venture out alittle went about a quarter of an mile . I got my low bat warning and tried to return home, well I was flying my direction and it just stopped and started giving me all kinds of warnings about the airspace I was entering, dern thing wouldn’t fly back to me. I crash landed at the dollar general, not much damage just two broken props and a few scuffs. Is there anyway to turn this feature off so I can RTH when flying away from the airspace?? Thanks for any help I am new at this.

It’s 5 miles away and was granted permission, also I was flying away from it. Also I have been flying for weeks it’s not like I took it out the box and just starting flying away.

It’s 5 miles away and was granted permission, also I was flying away from it. Also I have been flying for weeks it’s not like I took it out the box and just starting flying away.

Well you said it was your "first flight venturing out" and you ended up locked in an airpsace zone and crashed so you are missing something. Just saying if it was me I would stay away and be thankful my bird didn't plunk someone on the head. OTOH I do not need to fly anywhere near an airport so I am lucky.

Reactions: JimCanada
You have a point, just didn’t know it wouldn’t return to home, lol!! I do have liability but yes you’re correct I’m lucky it didn’t hit someone or a car . Not flying here again I will find a safer place.

Depending on the zone, some you can't enter and exit mid-flight. I was able to unlock a blue zone at my house. I too am at the outside edge of a glide slope. When I did unlock, the blue disappeared.

If you look on the map in the Go app, or in flysafe.dji.com, you'll see the zone for the location in question. Early December, DJI changed the zone shapes and classifications so that it would be more granular. You can fly closer to an airport alongside a runway but further at the ends and glide slope.

Ok, so I live right on the outer edge of Whiting Fields air space in Milton ,Fl. I called to let them know I was going up and they told me it wasn’t necessary to do so every time I fly because I’m on the edge. So today I decided to venture out alittle went about a quarter of an mile . I got my low bat warning and tried to return home, well I was flying my direction and it just stopped and started giving me all kinds of warnings about the airspace I was entering, dern thing wouldn’t fly back to me. I crash landed at the dollar general, not much damage just two broken props and a few scuffs. Is there anyway to turn this feature off so I can RTH when flying away from the airspace?? Thanks for any help I am new at this.

I fly my Pro 2 in the five mile zone and it asks me if I take responsibility and have permission, I answer yes, I too was told I did nt need to call as I am at the outer limits. After answering yes to the question the Pro 2 does what I tell it and ignores the airspace. You may need a upgrade?

I’m working on trying to upload now, leaning curve. Of course my computer is locking up trying to install iTunes.

It is worth the effort. A few members here will be able to tell you exactly what happened and what you can do to not be in that situation again.

If you look on the map in the Go app, or in flysafe.dji.com, you'll see the zone for the location in question. Early December, DJI changed the zone shapes and classifications so that it would be more granular. You can fly closer to an airport alongside a runway but further at the ends and glide slope.

Ok, I believe I may know the issue now . I am new and still learning and I just realized I can use the DJI app to view my flight and see the flight warnings. In my area because I am just inside a class c zone my controller always tells me I have a max altitude of 60 m and it always stops me and says max altitude reach, I set my drone for a max of 400 ‘. What I think may of happened is when I got out of the zone all of a sudden I was able to climb higher to the 400’ ceiling when I was returning when I played back my flight I kept getting “ YOUR AIRCRAFT IS AT A BOUNDRY OF AN ALTITUDE ZONE PLEASE FLY AWAY OR FIND PLACE TO LAND
“I’m not sure but I believe if I would’ve dropped to that 60 meter altitude that it would’ve allowed me to return. I was to high still at the 400 ft. What do you think?

Depending on the zone, some you can't enter and exit mid-flight. I was able to unlock a blue zone at my house. I too am at the outside edge of a glide slope. When I did unlock, the blue disappeared.
While i am not US pilot and we dont have has many restrictions and NFZ here, i have just generally found a lot less issues if you simply use a offline or dedicated device with your dji drones. The dji go4 app has a download maps offline fuctionality and using a offline device ensures no unpleasant NFZ DB updates in the field when you launch the app or start flying. I never update the db at all, but i make sure i am aware of where i fly beforehand.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kesiganes