DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First go!

nicely controlled I thought...

Yes higher might have been a bit better but also lower as you went along the bridge would have been nice too...

good job....

I would suggest that you are a little over exposed and you would get more "depth" and colour with a filter or if used a darker filter. Otherwise good flying.

The footage is over exposed. Darkening and adding a little contrast or saturation in post would help. Drone footage gets boring pretty quickly. Selecting separate shorter shots with different framings can allow you to shorten elapsed time for the audience and the varying perspectives will keep the audiences attention. Watch a good movie and count the individual shots. You will learn a lot about constructing video that keeps an audience.

Filters will not help in these lighting conditions. Correct exposure however you get it is the answer. Learn to use your histogram display, and adjust the exposure as you watch it. Outdoor flying generally requires only one adjustment per flight.

Reactions: Gobuchul and Dbez1
Correct exposure however you get it is the answer. Learn to use your histogram display, and adjust the exposure as you watch it. Outdoor flying generally requires only one adjustment per flight.
Thanks Dave.

Are there any decent tutorials you could point me at?

I am familiar with still photography and the basic controls but not sure how to adjust and control in video?

Can this be done effectively in post processing?

Hello, nice little video. Check out YouTube. There are many wonderful videos and tutorials available that will help tremendously.

Simply search for something like "Mavic 2 Pro exposure settings" or something like that and you will see many helpful videos from professionals. You may also learn a lot of other interesting tips that you may not even be aware of. Learn as much as you can to expand your creativity options.

Be careful with YouTube video. A lot of it is wrong. Your still experience will transfer directly to video. Shutter speeds and apertures are exactly the same, and the still picture histograms used in Photoshop and most other photo editing software work exactly the same way.

Using the camera settings in go4, fly up to get a good view of your subject, display the histogram, and adjust your exposure using the shutter speed control to center the histogram. This will get you god video that can be further adjusted in post, but will have all the basic data needed to do this.

the mandatory part of this is adjusting the histogram such that neither the top or the bottom of the histogram hits its limits. Hitting the limit will clip any exposure value beyond that point.

This all says that you are using manual settings. If you use auto, you can adjust he exposure plus or minus to adjust the histogram position.

Using the camera settings in go4, fly up to get a good view of your subject, display the histogram, and adjust your exposure using the shutter speed control to center the histogram. This will get you god video that can be further adjusted in post, but will have all the basic data needed to do this.
Better yet, adjust the exposure so the histogram is shifted to the right hand side, just short of touching the edge. This will give the best dynamic range and lowest noise.

Trying to park everything in the middle might be a safe bet but prior to adjustment in post a predominantly light or dark scene will appear grey.

nicely controlled I thought...

Me too, then I read it was Litchi at the controls, ha ha.

Was this you first go at drone flight, editing, or Litchi @Gobuchul ?

If you are new to drones and have Litchi already, then that's ver progressive of you, I have been flying a few years and not able to bring myself to not fly, and relinquish control (albeit such a minor role !) to autopilot.

Oh, the other thing in Go4 you may like is the overexposure warning, puts zebra stripes on those areas so you can adjust down with filters (preferably), or settings, minor tweaks with the wheel adjustment.

Was this you first go at drone flight, editing, or Litchi @Gobuchul ?
Editing and Litchi really. Just playing about with Premiere Elements.

Litchi didn't worry me too much, I had perfect VLOS throughout and was ready to stop everything. Besides, the drone is inherently unstable and I couldn't fly it without all the electronics and software doing their stuff, so giving it a few waypoints to follow this much of a worry.

Okay. So I have had a play with the histrogram and it's very straight forward.

I give it a go when I am next out, if I don't get out today it will be the end of next week, the weather is looking very poor for the next few days.

The risk of exposing to the right is that if the scene light gets brighter, you will clip the highlights, which is truly ugly.

Hi,
Chck your video! its a nice video, with great fooage.
Im new in this drone world and i as learning everything..
Btw, 1st subscriber of your channel

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Electrakill21