DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First incident with mavic mini

angelosssss

Reactions
Good day guys!

Today i was shooting some drone videos in Cascade falls regional park in BC. I decided to do a "sling-shot" of the park entrance where the drone starts from a close up and then flies backwards and up. Unfortunately i miscalculated the angle and trajectory and i ended up hitting a branch. The rear left props chopped off the leafs and i lost one of them. Despite that, the drone found its "footing" and stayed up in the air, struggling to fly with 7 props. i managed to fly it back to me, checked it out, replaced the props and it was up in the air in less that 10 minutes.

Here's the video ---> DJI_0748.MP4

I'm very impressed with the mini's capabilities and durability. I was expecting to go drone fishing but it kept itself up in the air despite flying with 3 motors.

Despite the terrifying moment, it made me realize that my little guy is way tougher than i thought and i will push it even further as i have been learning how to fly and control it since i got it back in March.

I'm thinking of upgrading to a mavic air 2, but i am very happy that i got the mini first as it taught me how to fly almost completely manually without any assistance from the drone itself since it has no OAS and/or ARPAS systems.

Impressive, you should post the flight logs, Mavic Flight Log Retrieval and Analysis Guide
I bet some people will be interested to see the motor speeds.
The one thing I would say is that you are not flying this "almost completely manually", the GPS, downward looking vision systems and other flight systems are doing an awful lot for you in terms of stabilising the drone and controlling its position and attitude..
You can probably simulate some aspects of manual flight by flying indoors (no or poor GPS) with the vision sensors taped over or in a poorly lit room (no vsiion positioning) but, if you want to try this, fit the prop guards before hand and if possible do it in an empty room without delicate objects that can be knocked over

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad it landed safely to fly another day...with a new blade.
The mini continues to impress me more with every flight. As I learn, I try more things, and it makes me smile! Cheap little buggers, and just an excellent drone!

Reactions: rehkram
Yes it does recover well. I had multiple incidents clipping thin branches when I was learning how to fly it. After a major upset it recovers as you describe. The crashes that ended with the craft on the ground were flying backwards at speed into a wall of my house due to my misjudging how close it was to it, and trying to thread too tight of a needle flying through tight openings within farm buildings. Oh and losing a prop followed by an uncontrolled descent into a tree.

It's still flying and apart from a few broken props no harm done. I totally agree starting with a mini may be a great idea; anything else is likely to be easier, I hope to find out soon.

Good day guys!

Today i was shooting some drone videos in Cascade falls regional park in BC. I decided to do a "sling-shot" of the park entrance where the drone starts from a close up and then flies backwards and up. Unfortunately i miscalculated the angle and trajectory and i ended up hitting a branch. The rear left props chopped off the leafs and i lost one of them. Despite that, the drone found its "footing" and stayed up in the air, struggling to fly with 7 props. i managed to fly it back to me, checked it out, replaced the props and it was up in the air in less that 10 minutes.

I'm very impressed with the mini's capabilities and durability. I was expecting to go drone fishing but it kept itself up in the air despite flying with 3 motors.

Despite the terrifying moment, it made me realize that my little guy is way tougher than i thought and i will push it even further as i have been learning how to fly and control it since i got it back in March.

I'm thinking of upgrading to a mavic air 2, but i am very happy that i got the mini first as it taught me how to fly almost completely manually without any assistance from the drone itself since it has no OAS and/or ARPAS systems.

I'll be the first in this thread to suggest you buy a lottery ticket. I would hazard (okay, pun partially planned) that its light weight might be what saved it. I pruned a very small twig on my apple tree with my zoom and it inverted and fell to the ground where it then mowed the lawn until the motor cut out. I was freaked out since it was about two days old. It survived with a broken prop. The next week I "pruned" a new bathroom window and both survived with again a broken prop. Safe flying from here out.

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
I'll be the first in this thread to suggest you buy a lottery ticket. I would hazard (okay, pun partially planned) that its light weight might be what saved it. I pruned a very small twig on my apple tree with my zoom and it inverted and fell to the ground where it then mowed the lawn until the motor cut out. I was freaked out since it was about two days old. It survived with a broken prop. The next week I "pruned" a new bathroom window and both survived with again a broken prop. Safe flying from here out.

Can you bring your drone and come visit...i have a few things that need pruning around here... ;)

Impressive, you should post the flight logs, Mavic Flight Log Retrieval and Analysis Guide
I bet some people will be interested to see the motor speeds.
The one thing I would say is that you are not flying this "almost completely manually", the GPS, downward looking vision systems and other flight systems are doing an awful lot for you in terms of stabilising the drone and controlling its position and attitude..
You can probably simulate some aspects of manual flight by flying indoors (no or poor GPS) with the vision sensors taped over or in a poorly lit room (no vsiion positioning) but, if you want to try this, fit the prop guards before hand and if possible do it in an empty room without delicate objects that can be knocked over

I meant that it does not provide any flight assist like obstacle avoidance and advanced pilot systems like the higher end drones or object tracing/locking. Those all have to be done manually

" I meant that it does not provide any flight assist like obstacle avoidance and advanced pilot systems like the higher end drones or object tracing/locking. Those all have to be done manually" Ok, I just thought it better to point that out, just in case.

Can you bring your drone and come visit...i have a few things that need pruning around here... ;)
I wish it was a one time thing but as restricted as we are in Seattle, my "dense forested" back yard has too many trees and more pruning might just happen.

There's a video I saw of some guy taking out a hornets nest with his drone.

I wish it was a one time thing but as restricted as we are in Seattle, my "dense forested" back yard has too many trees and more pruning might just happen.

There's a video I saw of some guy taking out a hornets nest with his drone.

Hope the hornets weren't hiding after, and waiting for the guy to hit RTH...

A great many of them were probably paste or mince, splattered all over the drone, lol.
I think it was one of the bigger Mavics if we are thinking about the same video

Good day guys!

The Mini is a great drone to start out with. I love mine and also fly thr AIR2.

I have seen the first one but it wasn't the one I was thinking. I guess DJI sell nest shredders then. It's a pity in a way because vacant nests are works of art

Reactions: ff22
I have seen the first one but it wasn't the one I was thinking. I guess DJI sell nest shredders then. It's a pity in a way because vacant nests are works of art

My fingers are works of art, but that didn't stop the props trying to shred them when I messed up a hand catch ? ? ?

They certainly are. Just looked it up and while most nests are NOT reused, so safe to harvest or collect, I gather that there are some yellow jacket types that may reuse a nest.

In one of those videos, the drone just sounds like a swarm of critters. In another, I guess, after an iniital drone attach, they swarm as soon as they hear the drone sound.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sverkerh