DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First long range test mini 2

Biggie777

Reactions
So, I went somewhere the other day basically in a empty parking lot overlook ing a football field and a pretty nice distance away from the trees,in my suburban area.. I got longer distance than when being at my house for sure but lost signal at about 1.5 miles. I realize there are trees everywhere I live but this was a big open area several hundreds of feet away from the trees..This was like being in a big open field,I'd say at least atleast 600 years from the tree line.

1.5 miles? Where do you gotta go to get atleast half of DJI's "optimal conditions" 6.2 mile range? Am I expecting too much,at least wanna see the 2 mile mark ?

Reactions: hiker12 and Verne
So, I went somewhere the other day basically in a empty parking lot overlook ing a football field and a pretty nice distance away from the trees,in my suburban area.. I got longer distance than when being at my house for sure but lost signal at about 1.5 miles. I realize there are trees everywhere I live but this was a big open area several hundreds of feet away from the trees..This was like being in a big open field,I'd say at least atleast 600 years from the tree line.

1.5 miles? Where do you gotta go to get atleast half of DJI's "optimal conditions" 6.2 mile range? Am I expecting too much,at least wanna see the 2 mile mark ?
I’m not going to mention the legality of flying BVLOS but will tell
tell you even though you where away from the tree line the farther
you went out if not high enough those trees will block your LOS
and you will lose signal.
Also as was posted you need to take this test as it is mandatory.
Sorry but will mention it as you just don’t know or care but you need to learn the rules from the FAA as flying BVLOS is not only dangerous but illegal.

Wow, I was a little worried that I did not realize this existed but ( (Mod Removed Langage)it just came out this month lol.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Wow, I was a little worried that I did not realize this existed but ( (Mod Removed Langage)it just came out this month lol.
Understandable there’s only 2 threads on it and closed several others . That guy is a vender here and is where I and others took it.
Support our venders as they make our forums possible.
Test is free and takes no time and you can’t fail.
Other threads on it.

I think a lot of 107 Pilots are not going to be aware that they need to take this . Maybe they could have called it a Mandatory flight training as its not even a test really.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain and land on the water.

Last edited:
Reactions: VenomXts
I think a lot of 107 Pilots are not going to be aware that they need to take this . Maybe they could have called it a Mandatory flight training as its not even a test really.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain and land on the water.
Can’t really call it a test when you can’t fail it ?

Sorry but will mention it as you just don’t know or care but you need to learn the rules from the FAA as flying BVLOS is not only dangerous but illegal.

Thanks for link brother,I got the certificate. I care about safety and as I said before,I'm flying over nothing but Miles of trees.(pretty much)... I admit,I think the Vlos rule is good in place but we draw our own lines - and get waivers if we can to make it legal and not dangerous, huh? -

Face it,no one doing range tests have Vlos control of their drone. But I do have to thank you for the knowledge as I did not know about the recreational test So now I have that Thank you very much. Plus at least you answered a question that I suspected,that unless I get above that tree line,there is not more to expect then about 1.5,maybe two miles (doubtful but) as I see many on here claim over 2 with easy,I just want to make sure the treeline is definitely it as range tests really aren't something I want to do...But you have a point,illegal is illegal so I'm going to head toward the Chesapeake Bay here in MD,Is not far from me and I will see what this little mini 2 can do.

Thank you sir !

Thanks for link brother,I got the certificate. I care about safety and as I said before,I'm flying over nothing but Miles of trees.(pretty much)... I admit,I think the Vlos rule is good in place but we draw our own lines - and get waivers if we can to make it legal and not dangerous, huh? -

Face it,no one doing range tests have Vlos control of their drone. But I do have to thank you for the knowledge as I did not know about the recreational test So now I have that Thank you very much. Plus at least you answered a question that I suspected,that unless I get above that tree line,there is not more to expect then about 1.5,maybe two miles (doubtful but) as I see many on here claim over 2 with easy,I just want to make sure the treeline is definitely it as range tests really aren't something I want to do...But you have a point,illegal is illegal so I'm going to head toward the Chesapeake Bay here in MD,Is not far from me and I will see what this little mini 2 can do.

Thank you sir !
Trees especially big pines will cut down signal like nothing else since they are so dense and full of water. (I fly over trees from my back yard). Only thing legal that will help is getting up above them under 400 ft. Always follow VLOS, some peoples vision is better than others and when in doubt work with a spotter.

Thank you sir !
Get some of these range extenders. Cheap as chips and they do indeed work.

Attachments

• 29CF47F3-0874-461D-BFD9-BFC01FDB34EC.png
    29CF47F3-0874-461D-BFD9-BFC01FDB34EC.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 20
First of all, I don't understand the reason people do "distance tests" - do they just have extra cash laying around for buying new drones and aren't concerned with safety? Just seems pushing something to the limit beyond LOS is foolish. But that's just me.

Second, on TRUST - hadn't heard of that - my guy reaction was WAS negative (freeeedooommmm!) but after watching the video, I think it's a GREAT thing. May help reduce the number of stupid people out there giving drone operators a bad name.

HOW TO GET THE WORD OUT? It should come with new drones for sure.

I guess we have to start with "tell a friend" who owns a drone. LOL But it's the morons none of us know that concerns me!

Reactions: NG Wildman

First of all, I don't understand the reason people do "distance tests" - do they just have extra cash laying around for buying new drones and aren't concerned with safety? Just seems pushing something to the limit beyond LOS is foolish. But that's just me.

Second, on TRUST - hadn't heard of that - my guy reaction was WAS negative (freeeedooommmm!) but after watching the video, I think it's a GREAT thing. May help reduce the number of stupid people out there giving drone operators a bad name.

HOW TO GET THE WORD OUT? It should come with new drones for sure.

I guess we have to start with "tell a friend" who owns a drone. LOL But it's the morons none of us know that concerns me!

Hey Biggie..

I am a communications engineer by trade... so I do know something about microwave propagation.

I have no trouble at all receiving the RC signal up to 3 miles here in the Las Vegas Desert. When I first got the Mini 2, I took my buddy and drove him 3 miles away to a place that I had unobstructed Line of sight. I started the props... and left them running....on the ground.... I drove the 3 miles back and was able to see video and take off and immediately land... so I can confirm that the Mini can be controlled with unobstructed Line of Sight.

Now... if you are flying in a wooded area... you only have Limited Line of Sight UNLESS you are sitting with the RC in the tree tops. As soon as you move horizontally the drone will travel beyond Line of Sight very rapidly. And you will have very tall vertical columns of water (trees) and large amounts of moist organic material (leaves or needles). Trust me when I say, microwave signals do not fare well in these conditions.. They hit the trees and produce tiny (unmeasureable) amounts of heat (just like a Microwave oven which operate at approx 2450 Mhz, not far from the ISM band of 2400 MHz which is one of the bands we use for drones.

So to answer your original question... In order to get to 6 mile range, you would need to be in constant Line of Sight, without trees, buildings mountains or other obstructions. This would not be legal, since it is far beyond VLOS.

I hope this answered your question.

All the Best,

Joe Sands

Last edited:
I hope you are having fun flying, its why we all do it.

There are many factors that can affect flight and quality of reception, GPS, height, line of sight, electrical interference and of course trees.

I have seen many try flight distance tests and push things to the limit but I'm sure you know it can be dangerous no matter how tempting and when you're drone is out of site you cannot see hidden thermals or weather changes.

There are many places and sites that help learn rules and regulations and they are all more or less the same regardless of areas, ie. US, Canada, UK etc. I have no relationships with UAVHUB but joined in th UK and the knowledge they provide is fantastic. There are many in the US with the same and following the FAA / CAA guidance keeps everyone safe, you also have more chance of your drone returning.

If we all follow the drone code the more likely we will all be allowed to continue to fly, safety is paramount. The way i think about it is if I lose visual line of site and the drone malfunctions I have no idea where it goes, if I was on the other side and was walking with family and a rogue drone flew into me at 40mph the pain would be immense or more seriously maim or kill i would want all drones limited or banned.

At this time we still have some freedom to fly so please try to keep everyone safe and follow the rules, many people dislike drones due to operator's actions.

This is not a lecture and you may have miles of open areas but please be mindful of possible dangers.

I hope you have many years of safe flying and catch some amazing images and videos but i have a feeling the regs will tighten and we will lose some of the freedom we currently have.

Please always keep the drone in VLOS as you never know a microlight, small plane or rescue helicopter could be brought down while you're drone is out of site and does some damage.

Just my thoughts. Stay safe and keep flying

Reactions: Biggie777
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xa_