DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First mavic, crash within 2 minutes

DJI_0016.JPGDJI_0012.JPG
Well, I tested it out without the phone & it worked perfectly. Couple pics with my horrible camera. I'm going to test it again later with the phone and see what happens.

Maybe it was a fluke? Maybe the sucky plug doesn't want to stay in on my large phone? I don't know..

As for the camera control, would this fix it?

I mean I'm unsure if its the motors thats the problem because it does the start up movements, but after that, I can't control it. In the app when the phone is connected, it says Gimbal status N/A. So I'm stumped on the next part.

@Anthonyw there is another .DAT on the Mavic itself that should contain data corresponding to the disconnect intervals. A little more work to get it but take a look here to see how to retrieve it. It too large to attach to a post so you'll have to upload it to Dropbox, or similar, and provide a link.

@Anthonyw there is another .DAT on the Mavic itself that should contain data corresponding to the disconnect intervals. A little more work to get it but take a look here to see how to retrieve it. It too large to attach to a post so you'll have to upload it to Dropbox, or similar, and provide a link.

But it's a Mavic 2.

• Haha
Reactions: BudWalker
So it is. Confused this one with another I was looking at. Kinda wondering why you hadn't suggested that he retrieve the AC .DAT.

Reactions: sar104
Well, i tested it with the phone connected and had decent luck. It did disconnect once while i was standing beside it. The phone did the reconnected usb sound so i assume the plug was acting up. But i did fly for about 15 minutes with no true issue.

Now i just need suggestions on fixing the unmoveable gimbal. I did get almost constant "gimbal motor overload" & "gimbal obstruction" errors. Anyone that's versed in repairs think replacing the motor arms will help?screen_e8597ae955026ed0_1565399322000.jpg

Send it in for repair, you have either damaged the gimbal motor signal wire or even a motor itself but the Mavic 2 gimbal is not one to be repaired by the home handy tech. It's very complicated and precise bit of kit that is not to be messed around with. DJI have made it very difficult to disassemble and repair.

Send it in for repair, you have either damaged the gimbal motor signal wire or even a motor itself but the Mavic 2 gimbal is not one to be repaired by the home handy tech. It's very complicated and precise bit of kit that is not to be messed around with. DJI have made it very difficult to disassemble and repair.
I've already had the gimbal removed. If i send it in I'm going to ve paying another $300.

I wouldn't fly it at all until you sort out the cable issue that you've mentioned. It seems to already of crashed once because of a possible cable disconnection and you've risked flying it again, gambling not only crashing it again but possibly losing it or worse hurting someone.

Reactions: JSKCKNIT and WWMav
Well how would you suggest fixing that? Is there a longer version of that cord or something?

Well how would you suggest fixing that? Is there a longer version of that cord or something?

For larger devices and for a more stable connection, I’d get a full size USB A cable and plug it into the bottom port on your remote. You can even use the cable you usually charge your phone with. Forget using the short Micro USB stuff that the remote comes with. You’re not the only one who has had bad luck connecting with those. I hope that helps!

Sorry about the crash. Just as a precaution - if you use stock remote with a phone - make sure phone is in airplane mode with Bluetooth off and wifi off. I suspect if you were at the limit of your house wifi reach and phone's wifi radio was at max power trying to reconnect back - it may have been interfering with remote signal.
Ideally, use a dedicated device for flying, and set it to be silent.

Looking at _where_ you had a flight - you need to check manually what channel was chosen for a link. If you had dozens of wifi routers around - controller could got stuck choosing best channel in auto mode.

Last edited:
Maybe it's just me and 55 years of flying things that tend to want to crash when everything doesn't happen according to plan, but is a first flight of ANYTHING ever a good idea anywhere near close by buildings or trees or fences or people or anything else you don't want to have a close encounter with? Maybe I'm just ana*?

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
Okay, I'll try using the full size usb port. Plus I'll try airplane mode. I cant disable bluetooth due to a medical device, but I'm sure bluetooth doesn't cause too much an issue.

Thanks everyone who has helped so far!

Agree....had similar issue but luckily no crash. No issue since using full USB C and Airplane mode. Also, was it really hit the day you flew, like over 100? High temp can play havoc. Good luck.

Its not ridicules that you crashed in 2 minutes, these are not toys, they are complicated flying machines. Most people who buy them unbox, fly, crash. I am surprised / not surprised that people are willing to spend $2000 or more on a product and not another dime on taking professional lessons on how to use it.

Reactions: Pixar
Its not ridicules that you crashed in 2 minutes, these are not toys, they are complicated flying machines. Most people who buy them unbox, fly, crash. I am surprised / not surprised that people are willing to spend $2000 or more on a product and not another dime on taking professional lessons on how to use it.
Yes it is, because you assume i havent been flying drones for the past 10 years or havent had other model DJI drones. Besides, no amount of training is going to prevent a controller from disconnecting.

You know what they say when you assume.

Tried using my personal charging cable and the drone/remote worked flawlessly for 2 hours. So clearly the issue is either that side port or their crappy short cable.

Thanks everyone! Now just to get the gimbal fixed..

Tried using my personal charging cable and the drone/remote worked flawlessly for 2 hours. So clearly the issue is either that side port or their crappy short cable.

Thanks everyone! Now just to get the gimbal fixed..
So, AliExpress sellers have all parts for those gimbals, but if you never soldered micro electronics it may not end well. Brand new zoom gimbal used to cost around $270 or so, can be more now.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
instaproapk