DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First mavic, crash within 2 minutes

I'm not sure what's going on there. Navigationally it was doing fine for the duration of the logged data, in that the GPS, IMU(0) and IMU(1) position calculations all agreed pretty well. The cause of the disconnects is unclear, but I'd suspect the Android device that you are using. There is no record of the uncommanded motion leading to the collision. Those data will be in the aircraft DAT file that only DJI can read, so you will probably need to return it to them for analysis.

position.png

Yes, it asked to activate once it first connected.

Well, I'm glad the data is all correct. I do more that my phone is quite large and has trouble staying connected to their tiny cable. My phone was also doing the connected/disconnected sound. So maybe it's not getting a decent connection so its sending bad commands to the drone?

All i know is that i was pulling back before it slammed into the wall face first...

Unfortunately i don't have dji refresh & warranty doesn't cover user error...

So how do i fix the gimbal's issue? It has full range when booting up but completely uncontrollable during flight...

Yes, it asked to activate once it first connected.

Well, I'm glad the data is all correct. I do more that my phone is quite large and has trouble staying connected to their tiny cable. My phone was also doing the connected/disconnected sound. So maybe it's not getting a decent connection so its sending bad commands to the drone?

All i know is that i was pulling back before it slammed into the wall face first...

Unfortunately i don't have dji refresh & warranty doesn't cover user error...

So how do i fix the gimbal's issue? It has full range when booting up but completely uncontrollable during flight...

Can you indicate where the impact occurred?

1565356604173.jpeg

As for the gimbal - since this is a new aircraft I would send it in for repair. It's under warranty presumably. Depending on what they find in the onboard DAT file it might be covered.

Alot of those lines over the house are inaccurate. At no point did i go over a building. The impact I'd say was about the middle of where that line on the right side of the house is. But again, i don't think this shows it because it was more direct and started from in the field

Alot of those lines over the house are inaccurate. At no point did i go over a building. The impact I'd say was about the middle of where that line on the right side of the house is. But again, i don't think this shows it because it was more direct and started from in the field

I assumed that you powered up the aircraft inside the building and then took it outside - is that not what happened?

Also, didn't i kill the warranty by taking the gimbal off? Lol

Possibly, yes.

Reactions: charliesRig
Okay, you're right. I did power it on before taking it out.

As for the gimbal, i could just put it back on couldn't i? There's no way for them to know i took it off..

Reactions: Mike4884

As for the gimbal, i could just put it back on couldn't i? There's no way for them to know i took it off..

I've never removed a gimbal so I'm not sure. One of the forum members who do disassembly and repairs could probably comment on that.

When the disconnects happened, perhaps the M2Z was trying to return to the home point, which would be in the house as that was where the OP originally powered it on? Just my uneducated guess.

I'd assume it'd raise to the return height before slamming into something first though.

When the disconnects happened, perhaps the M2Z was trying to return to the home point, which would be in the house as that was where the OP originally powered it on? Just my uneducated guess.

The homepoint was reset to outside by that time:

1565360548410.jpeg

So i got my first dji drone and it crashed within minutes. I set everything up, everything charged. I lifted off and immediately the status turned yellow and said "remote controller problem"

It went back to green status, so i started to move the drone around a little bit. Getting used to the control.

Suddenly with some forward motion, the status once again switched to yellow with the same message. The drone stops responding to inputs and goes full speed forward and slams into the side of the house. Which was at least 20 feet away before it impacted.

I went over to check for damage to find that one of the props are broken and the gimbal is twisted beyond its limit.

I tried the drone again just to make sure its still flyable, which everything looks fine. But, the gimbal is damaged and no longer seems controlable.

When i start up the drone, the gimbal does its automatic movements and everything but after it'll stop, lean to the left at an angle. I get live video but am not able to control it. In the status menu, it says gimbal is N/A. And the gimbal menu does not show in the main menu.

I figure the gimbal motor arm is damaged? But if that was the case it wouldnt do its start up movements would it?

It's ridiculous that i JUST bought this, waited for it and used it for 2 minutes its already damaged because the remote cant even connect to it even though I'm 5 ft from it.

Does anybody have any ideas on how to fix this? I probably already ruined the warrenty by taking the gimbal off...

Frustrated..
Hey Anthony, in addition to try figuring out what went wrong, it seems you’re gonna need to repair your damaged drone. Unless you have the DJI Care package, another great option for drone repairs is Thunderdrones. Google Thunderdrones then follow the steps to send your drone to Rob.

Was it really the RC that disconnected or the app/mobile disconnecting from the RC?
A disconnect of the mobile to the RC will not normally do anything to the AC and the RC normally can still control the AC. It has been suspected though that sporadic USB connections may send bad data to the RC.

Home point is taken at takeoff or at least motor start with CRC. Just powering on won't set the home point.
Still, compass and IMU initialization may be performed on power on, and could be thrown off by changes from indoor to outdoor conditions.

I've never seen that link symbol on my HTC or Samsung. Is that on a smart controller?

Was it really the RC that disconnected or the app/mobile disconnecting from the RC?
A disconnect of the mobile to the RC will not normally do anything to the AC and the RC normally can still control the AC. It has been suspected though that sporadic USB connections may send bad data to the RC.

Home point is taken at takeoff or at least motor start with CRC. Just powering on won't set the home point.
Still, compass and IMU initialization may be performed on power on, and could be thrown off by changes from indoor to outdoor conditions.

I've never seen that link symbol on my HTC or Samsung. Is that on a smart controller?

Actually powering on does set the home point as soon as GPS lock is acquired. It's typically reset on takeoff though. And the graph above demonstrates that the IMU and compass were functioning adequately enough not to have been an obvious reason for the unlogged behavior at the end of the flight.

It must have had been sending bad data due to the bad usb connection. All i know is it was giving the "remote controller error" message and the status was turned yellow. While it was yellow is when the drone would do movements i was not giving it.

The remote would show "connecting" again, and as soon as it did connect, the drone would stop moving.

When I get home I'm going to reconnect the Gimbal and try and fly the Drone without the phone. Then we'll see if it has any remote errors.

20190809_152337.jpg20190809_152400_HDR.jpgthat is the camera's neutral position when holding it. If i move it or adjust it, it'll swing back into that position.

Also a picture of the damage on the back arm from where it twisted beyond its limit.

Reactions: charliesRig
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dominicus15