DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First mavic, crash within 2 minutes

Anthonyw

Reactions
So i got my first mavic drone and it crashed within minutes. I set everything up, everything charged. I lifted off and immediately the status turned yellow and said "remote controller problem"

It went back to green status, so i started to move the drone around a little bit. Getting used to the control.

Suddenly with some forward motion, the status once again switched to yellow with the same message. The drone stops responding to inputs and goes full speed forward and slams into the side of the house. Which was at least 20 feet away before it impacted.

I went over to check for damage to find that one of the props are broken and the gimbal is twisted beyond its limit.

I tried the drone again just to make sure its still flyable, which everything looks fine. But, the gimbal is damaged and no longer seems controlable.

When i start up the drone, the gimbal does its automatic movements and everything but after it'll stop, lean to the left at an angle. I get live video but am not able to control it. In the status menu, it says gimbal is N/A. And the gimbal menu does not show in the main menu.

I figure the gimbal motor arm is damaged? But if that was the case it wouldnt do its start up movements would it?

It's ridiculous that i JUST bought this, waited for it and used it for 2 minutes its already damaged because the remote cant even connect to it even though I'm 5 ft from it.

Does anybody have any ideas on how to fix this? I probably already ruined the warrenty by taking the gimbal off...

Frustrated..

Last edited:
So i got my first dji drone and it crashed within minutes. I set everything up, everything charged. I lifted off and immediately the status turned yellow and said "remote controller problem"

It went back to green status, so i started to move the drone around a little bit. Getting used to the control.

Suddenly with some forward motion, the status once again switched to yellow with the same message. The drone stops responding to inputs and goes full speed forward and slams into the side of the house. Which was at least 20 feet away before it impacted.

I went over to check for damage to find that one of the props are broken and the gimbal is twisted beyond its limit.

I tried the drone again just to make sure its still flyable, which everything looks fine. But, the gimbal is damaged and no longer seems controlable.

When i start up the drone, the gimbal does its automatic movements and everything but after it'll stop, lean to the left at an angle. I get live video but am not able to control it. In the status menu, it says gimbal is N/A. And the gimbal menu does not show in the main menu.

I figure the gimbal motor arm is damaged? But if that was the case it wouldnt do its start up movements would it?

It's ridiculous that i JUST bought this, waited for it and used it for 2 minutes its already damaged because the remote cant even connect to it even though I'm 5 ft from it.

Does anybody have any ideas on how to fix this? I probably already ruined the warrenty by taking the gimbal off...

Frustrated..

Do you remember what option you used to connect to the drone ?

I don't get what you mean. i said.. Turned on the remote, turned on the drone, opened the app. It auto connected from there...

I don't get what you mean. i said.. Turned on the remote, turned on the drone, opened the app. It auto connected from there...

Thinking you might have missed a step:

When you Link you get several loud beeps: Connecting and Linking our two different aspects of flying the drone.

Screen Shot 2019-08-08 at 12.59.45 PM.png

Phantomrain.org
Cutting edge gear for your Mavic
Coal

So because i missed the link part, it'll still allow me to control it yet keep disconnecting randomly?

There are some really good experts with lots of experience analyzing and evaluating the drone and remote controller data.

Try and follow the instructions and then post the file(s) here.

You will be amazed at what the data files will tell you about the health and activity of the flight

Good Luck, will be watching for more updates.

I forgot to mention its a mavic 2 zoom. Are the logs necessary? I mean it gave me "remote controller error" and then proceeded to ram into a wall by continuing its last known input.

Yes they are. The log files should provide insight into why there was a remote controller error and why it flew into the wall instead of activating return to home.

Reactions: Thomas B
I forgot to mention its a mavic 2 zoom. Are the logs necessary? I mean it gave me "remote controller error" and then proceeded to ram into a wall by continuing its last known input.

Experts here can analyze exactly what went wrong. If the problem was due to a manufactured defect, DJI may need to fix your drone for free, assuming it is still under warranty.

If the crash was due to pilot error, they will be able to give you tips on how to avoid these types of issues in the future, or suggestions regarding repair.

Yep, they're needed to see why it gave that error and the cause. (to see if its user error or hardware error etc).

Reactions: charliesRig
I have no idea which one i should be selecting. I think this should be the right one.. One thing of note, watching these is that once the remote error was popping up, they stop recording data..

Attachments

• 19-08-07-10-19-04_FLY004.DAT
    5.7 MB · Views: 56
Two others just incase

Attachments

• 19-08-07-10-32-19_FLY005.DAT
    2 MB · Views: 13
  • 19-08-07-10-41-08_FLY006.DAT
    3.7 MB · Views: 7
None of those files represent real flights. It might be easier to locate the txt log on your mobile device, and go from there. The instructions to retrieve it are in the link below. Post the file here, or upload it to that site and post the link back here.

TXT log: DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help

The drone stops responding to inputs and goes full speed forward and slams into the side of the house. Which was at least 20 feet away before it impacted.
Follow the suggestion from post #16.
It might also be helpful if you can describe the spot you launched from.

These are all i could find that would be useful. And like i said, it looks like they're missing data from where the control keeps disconnecting.

Okay - those three files describe a flight with multiple app disconnects and several landings and takeoffs. The associated DAT file is FLY002.DAT - if you can get that it might shed some light on this. Otherwise it's really difficult to figure out what was happening since the aircraft control during the logged periods was largely consistent.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jimwinter