DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First Mavic kiteboarding edit

I had to stop watching at the 2 minute mark...you guys are ******* crazy! I started shivering. Otherwise I liked the video.

Kiter here as well. Headed to SPI soon, hoping my Mavic gets back in time for it.

Did you try the follow mode?

Kiter here as well. Headed to SPI soon, hoping my Mavic gets back in time for it.

Did you try the follow mode?

I have not yet as the weather is so sketchy here right now that I am taking the opportunity to foil rather than stand on the beach :).... I need to get nerve of getting closer first under my own control and will move on from there. My concern on follow mode is the potential for a rider to do a quick transition and send the kite back toward the Mavic. I suppose follow on the kite itself will result in staying high enough that its not an issue. Follow on the rider would likely result in being taken out by the lines or another kiter.

Nice. Excited to use my Mavic this season out on the lakes. I kite over in the London area and sometimes at Holmes Point and Lagoon City if I am in the area.

Nice. Excited to use my Mavic this season out on the lakes. I kite over in the London area and sometimes at Holmes Point and Lagoon City if I am in the area.

We are very often at Sibbald Pt as well on a NW. Some go to Holmes on occasion. I had a lesson at Lagoon when I was learning.

Here is some nice footage from the Sand Isles (Phantom) a few years ago.

Man I had to go and make a hot toddy, with extra rum! As for the vid it was super smooth on both Firefox & Safari on a iMAC.

We are very often at Sibbald Pt as well on a NW. Some go to Holmes on occasion. I had a lesson at Lagoon when I was learning.

Here is some nice footage from the Sand Isles (Phantom) a few years ago.

Ha! Crazy, few of the guys I kite with regularly with showed me this video. We where planning on trying it out sometime. I might pick your brain about it sometime later in the year. Nice video.

Happy to have feedback. I find that it is super choppy in Chrome but smooth in IE and edge. Very frustrating that Chrome is so bad with video.

I was having issues with video on Chrome as well, and found and installed a Chrome extension called h264ify. I think this link will take you to the extension so you can install it:
h264ify

If not you can just go to the chrome web store and search for h264ify. Install the extension, close chrome and reopen and see if it helps with your YouTube videos.

Love it! But you're right about the lines ...down would go Mr. Mavic into the chilly depths of Lake Ontario!

My brother kiteboards, but here in Florida with no snow lol. I promised I would film him with the drone, but, I'm scared to film it because you don't only have the subject, you have to watch out for the kite and the lines, and usually there are others out with him I have to watch for. Would love some tips on filming kiteboarding with a drone.

Also, this is crazy. Way to cold. But I am a Florida guy, so any snow is too cold for me lol.

My brother kiteboards, but here in Florida with no snow lol. I promised I would film him with the drone, but, I'm scared to film it because you don't only have the subject, you have to watch out for the kite and the lines, and usually there are others out with him I have to watch for. Would love some tips on filming kiteboarding with a drone.

Also, this is crazy. Way to cold. But I am a Florida guy, so any snow is too cold for me lol.

The lines are only ever max about 70 feet in length, so it is physically impossible for them to get you if you stay above that height.....but of course there are those that are jumping (we are obsessed with it here and average 30 to 40 feet of air above the water which means kite is at 100 feet momentarily ). Its pretty obvious if that is happening so if you stay above 70 feet then you can't get hung up. Of course that leaves you with only that perspective. I plan to do lower level chasing to get closer to the rider. The wide angle lens means that you have to get quite close to seem close. Main thing to note if you are below the kite height is that if you stay upwind of the rider they can't "get you"....kites are generally only ever at 12 oclock (straight up) during a transition to a new direction and at a 45 degree angle downwind while riding....so if you are even 10 feet upwind of rider the kite can't get you. If there are no other riders upwind of you then you are free and clear.

Reactions: Syphon
I was having issues with video on Chrome as well, and found and installed a Chrome extension called h264ify. I think this link will take you to the extension so you can install it:
h264ify

If not you can just go to the chrome web store and search for h264ify. Install the extension, close chrome and reopen and see if it helps with your YouTube videos.

Thanks for the suggestion. Tried it. Still jerky. Windows 10 on a Dell XPS 13. i7-5500U CPU @ 2.4GHz 8GB RAM

Very frustrating

Thanks for the suggestion. Tried it. Still jerky. Windows 10 on a Dell XPS 13. i7-5500U CPU @ 2.4GHz 8GB RAM

Very frustrating

Dang. Looks like you are even running a better system than me, Windows 10, 64 bit, Toshiba Satellite C55-A, Intel 2020M, 2.4GHz, 6GB RAM. Have you updated Chrome to the latest version? Sometimes Chrome doesn't update automatically. Go to Settings, Help, About Google Chrome and check/update. I'm running Chrome version 55.0.2883.87 m (64-bit).

P.S. You should also check with Dell to see if there are updated drivers for your video card chipset.

Drivers & Downloads | Dell US

Dang. Looks like you are even running a better system than me, Windows 10, 64 bit, Toshiba Satellite C55-A, Intel 2020M, 2.4GHz, 6GB RAM. Have you updated Chrome to the latest version? Sometimes Chrome doesn't update automatically. Go to Settings, Help, About Google Chrome and check/update. I'm running Chrome version 55.0.2883.87 m (64-bit).

P.S. You should also check with Dell to see if there are updated drivers for your video card chipset.

Drivers & Downloads | Dell US
I did the Dell check this week.

running Version 55.0.2883.87 m (64). I have posted a question to Chrome support forums

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13