DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First real video

Tyler mckee

Reactions
First real video I’ve put together, and I probably have about 2 hours of flight time total.
wish I would have put on a darker filter in the one blinding sun clip, couldn’t get it toned down. I only had a NDPL 8 on.
Edited in Davinci resolve, more or less just used a LUT I liked and made some minor corrections. I’m still watching you tube tutorials?

Some nice scenery there.
You could certainly edit it down from 7:00 to 3 or 4 minutes, lots of bits you can crop out, leave the jittery stuff . . . but that's up to you to if you want it more to usual video length and holding people for the entire clip.

Very good for a couple of hours flight time though, and early use of Davinci.

A stronger ND filter won't change the brightness of the scene from 1:18 to 1:30.
You can do that only by adjusting exposure, which would greatly speed up your video shutter speed, and you lose that nice motion blur the human eye likes in video.
The stronger ND filter will enable you to keep shutter speed down to double frame rate though, which is better to the human eye, that's the aim of using ND filters on drones for video.

The MPP has limited manual settings, so you must use the filters to get video shutter right normally, unless lucky to strike that sweet light.

Stronger ND can give you some nice photo effect though with longer shutter, water movement type of shots.

Keep it up.
Everyone no matter how good they are can improve more in both flight techniques and editing.

Reactions: Tyler mckee
Some nice scenery there.
You could certainly edit it down from 7:00 to 3 or 4 minutes, lots of bits you can crop out, leave the jittery stuff . . . but that's up to you to if you want it more to usual video length and holding people for the entire clip.

Very good for a couple of hours flight time though, and early use of Davinci.

A stronger ND filter won't change the brightness of the scene from 1:18 to 1:30.
You can do that only by adjusting exposure, which would greatly speed up your video shutter speed, and you lose that nice motion blur the human eye likes in video.
The stronger ND filter will enable you to keep shutter speed down to double frame rate though, which is better to the human eye, that's the aim of using ND filters on drones for video.

The MPP has limited manual settings, so you must use the filters to get video shutter right normally, unless lucky to strike that sweet light.

Stronger ND can give you some nice photo effect though with longer shutter, water movement type of shots.

Keep it up.
Everyone no matter how good they are can improve more in both flight techniques and editing.

thanks, I thought the same thing about the length after I wrapped up. I wanted to FF my own video so I knew it was too long ?
I shot in 4K 30fps, and it looked pretty good with the shutter at 1/60 with my ndpl8, that’s why I thought if I had on a darker filter I could have kept my shutter about the same.

Starting to get the hang of this thing, and get my settings dialed in to slow down and smooth out my movement.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
It did look pretty good, the 30fps and 1/60 was obviously there.
A darker ND would help you dial down the overexposed footage, but that'd mean changing out for that direction of flight.
Most times that is just not practical, rather film it the other direction, just set up for anything in that (say) 270 degrees span away form direct sun, and crop out anything that is too bright . . . there may be other post techniques you can use for those parts though, once you get into Davinci bit more you might find those.

It did look pretty good, the 30fps and 1/60 was obviously there.
A darker ND would help you dial down the overexposed footage, but that'd mean changing out for that direction of flight.
Most times that is just not practical, rather film it the other direction, just set up for anything in that (say) 270 degrees span away form direct sun, and crop out anything that is too bright . . . there may be other post techniques you can use for those parts though, once you get into Davinci bit more you might find those.
I think, as a first try, this was great. My comments are added to the above
1. too long
2. too fast in the panning
3. I had a problem with the black bars on top and bottom. Not sure how to correct it but when I use Premiere Pro I resize to get full screen. Perhaps adjust between 4:3 and other ratios.
4. big lighting changes between dark forests and bright oncoming sunlight are hard to adjust exposure. I would expose for the forest, open the shadows in post, and avoid shooting directly into the sun- or do a second "take" for the sun exposure with faster shutter speed or ND filter to cut down the glare of the sunlight.

Jesus christ check the 2 fish in minute 2:04

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suilven