DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First Run in with local police

I'm not FAA certified or anything so I'm just wondering what exactly are the "rules?"

FAA certified or not, perhaps you might do some studying before you go out again beyond your back yard. You need to know at the very least the basics, as these are not toys and you are part of a community that has to maintain a reputation of being knowledgeable and considerate. It only takes one or two ignorant drone owners to provoke draconian restrictions for the rest of us.
The FAA has a "getting started" web page.
FAA UAS getting started page

Finding out the laws in your state is as easy as googling "Florida drone laws".
Florida drone laws

And don't forget to look up local ordinances to make sure you're in compliance and/or the ordinances are in conflict with state or federal regulations.

FAA certified or not, perhaps you might do some studying before you go out again beyond your back yard. You need to know at the very least the basics, as these are not toys and you are part of a community that has to maintain a reputation of being knowledgeable and considerate. It only takes one or two ignorant drone owners to provoke draconian restrictions for the rest of us.
As ashamed as I am to admit, I don't have a drone...

And I just wanted to know what "Rule" the guy was talking about because as far as I know, you're not allowed to fly over peoples property.

I think the OP did a good job, starting off by telling the truth. I would like to think that cops tend to be less harsh when they don't have to deal with BS.

I keep a printed set of pertainent rules and regulations printed and with me at all times when I fly. As in the OP's example, the first cop came at him as if HE knew the rules which had to be explained to him by the pilot. Mercifully, to date, I have not in my short flying time been confronted, except in one case where I had written permission to fly over private property. The written permission dismissed the incident without even taking both hands off the controls. There are a number of printed tools that one might keep on hand, in my case, including statements by the FAA as to their jurisdiction, the state ordinance declaring the state had sole authority to regulate UAV's as well as written permission from land owners or management. I have great respect for law enforcement, especially today when they have to second guess everything they do, so my goal is to make it easy to challenge misinformation in as non-confrontational manner as possible.
Great information there, inspired me on this rainy day in Virginia to find, study, and bookmark the website that covers statewide laws regarding drone flying. Printed gouges are a great idea!

I think the OP did a good job, starting off by telling the truth. I would like to think that cops tend to be less harsh when they don't have to deal with BS.

I keep a printed set of pertainent rules and regulations printed and with me at all times when I fly. As in the OP's example, the first cop came at him as if HE knew the rules which had to be explained to him by the pilot. Mercifully, to date, I have not in my short flying time been confronted, except in one case where I had written permission to fly over private property. The written permission dismissed the incident without even taking both hands off the controls. There are a number of printed tools that one might keep on hand, in my case, including statements by the FAA as to their jurisdiction, the state ordinance declaring the state had sole authority to regulate UAV's as well as written permission from land owners or management. I have great respect for law enforcement, especially today when they have to second guess everything they do, so my goal is to make it easy to challenge misinformation in as non-confrontational manner as possible.

I may be reading the tone of your message incorrectly, but nowhere in my comment indicates that I didn't agree that the OP did not do the right thing; nor the wrong thing for that matter.
As you said, the police will usually deal better with honesty and forthrightness. That's my point! Know the rules and be able to express them to those who don't.

And I just wanted to know what "Rule" the guy was talking about because as far as I know, you're not allowed to fly over peoples property.

That's not the case in the United States. There is no general prohibition regarding flying over other's property.

It is still a grey area as to how high a property owner can consider trespass. Some say 80ft, some 100ft, some higher.

After all, we can all agree cruising planes fly over houses all the time. If they couldn't, it would be impossible for us to fly cross country on a trip. Even to land, a plane has to be over houses at some point for metro airports.

As ashamed as I am to admit, I don't have a drone...
Interesting...Accept my apologies. You wouldn't be exepected to know the rules... Just curious why you're here (not that it's not cool that you are)?

I may be reading the tone of your message incorrectly, but nowhere in my comment indicates that I didn't agree that the OP did not do the right thing; nor the wrong thing for that matter.
As you said, the police will usually deal better with honesty and forthrightness. That's my point! Know the rules and be able to express them to those who don't.

Written English is so easy to misinterpret. I don't believe I was doing anything more than agreeing with you. Accept my apologies if it might have sounded otherwise.

Reactions: GFields
It's always good to know the rules and how to articulate them to those who don't
Although airspace is open, there are still privacy laws, which the neighbor could argue were broken. Had he simply flown over the property, that would be one thing, but it sounds like he was doing a surveillance mission over private property, which most certainly is illegal

Did you discover the cause of the heavy equipment noises?
offer some overhead or time lapse of his project (not for a fee - as a favor), people love that stuff and it will likely win you over an ally. Even if you put the already captured images on a thumb drive and left it in a zip lock bag at the site with a note. Show him the capabilities as you fly, it may recruit another pilot. Always nice to know people with construction equipment for those late night burials in the back yard...

Reactions: dubuqueone
Louisiana trespass law has drone use in it. But at the end it states:
(3) The provisions of Paragraph (1) of this Subsection shall not apply to any person operating an unmanned aircraft system in compliance with federal law or Federal Aviation Administration regulations or authorization.
Have shown this to LEO several times when someone called for me flying over, once not stopping, over their property. Everytime LEO says I did nothing wrong. I am Part 107 certified.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Although airspace is open, there are still privacy laws, which the neighbor could argue were broken. Had he simply flown over the property, that would be one thing, but it sounds like he was doing a surveillance mission over private property, which most certainly is illegal
Specifically, which codified state laws were broken?

Reactions: dawgpilot
To be frank it was difficult at first as the lead LEO was insistent he knew the FDA rules. I remained courteous and offered to show him the light map of open and restricted airspace and reiterated that the FAA controls all air space above ground level. That was when he asked his partner whom thankfully agreed with me. It does highlight that this is still generally unsettled for most people. The key for me is to always be respectful and find common areas of agreement like peeking in windows or hanging out over backyard pools is just plain creepy. I assured him that this was not my interest and that my concern is not losing my drone in the first place by flying it close to structures or low in yards. Most of my videos and pictures are landscape and sunsets.
I have for some time, maybe 3 years, actually approached officers and even command level officers about drones, and their simple answer was "I don't know". Then with fall coming and some new free time from retiring earlier than I expected, I decided to try to find the answer about flying in parks,at the State, County and city level. That was interesting at the least. State came the closest to a policy, and stated avoiding flying over people, and being a bother were the only issues. I indicated the FAA rules already addressed those issues. On the county part, it came down to I need to obtain permission from the Parks commisioner, after a short talk it came down to similar to state rules. Don't bother hunters, wildlife, people, etc and try to fly during slower times. The city's representative indicated I could only fly at the RC park, which I am a member of. The park has been in its location for 50+ years. I want to be legal , but I want to enjoy my hobby. On the legal side, I maintain flight info on airdata which ahs altitude direction etc at all times of flight, and I video everything. So if they want to state I was doing something like window peeping i will be glad to show the entire video to them. I am usually at 100+ feet, so not much to see.

If you’re always concerned about every bit of noise that comes from your neighbors to the point you feel the need to fly over to investigate, I certainly hope your neighbor’s wife is not a screamer.

Reactions: lrsn
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turtle27mike