DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First Run in with local police

My wife had become quite tired of heavy equipment noises coming from an adjacent property and insisted I fly my drone over to see what Was happening. When I brought it back a saw a picture of a man with a phone looking up. Sure enough an hour later police with backup are at my door. Told the guy the truth that I had flown over the adjacent property. He told me I was not allowed to fly over other peoples property. Thankfully I was confident enough to share with him the rules and his partner thankfully agreed. My wife feels bad and we had a laugh. Now how to repair relations s with the neighbor?

Can you share the rules you presented to him?

Thanks...

Reactions: scoble08
Interesting...Accept my apologies. You wouldn't be exepected to know the rules... Just curious why you're here (not that it's not cool that you are)?
1. I joined back when I had the original Mavic Pro.
2. I'll be receiving a Mavic 2 Pro soon
3. I know the rules but I just wanted to put out that question for possible visitors wondering the same thing.
4. I have my FAA Part 107 and I got it recently.
There you have it.

1. I joined back when I had the original Mavic Pro.
2. I'll be receiving a Mavic 2 Pro soon
3. I know the rules but I just wanted to put out that question for possible visitors wondering the same thing.
4. I have my FAA Part 107 and I got it recently.
There you have it.

You're gonna like the Mavic 2 Pro. When's it coming?

You're gonna like the Mavic 2 Pro. When's it coming?
It should get here in a few days, but I ordered it used and Covid-19 is affecting shipping times so I don't really know exactly when.

In my case, I was flying near (I emphasize near) a railroad track and station. A commuter called the local police. The policeman that was sent out had (a year earlier) been involved with a drone terrorist incident involving railroads. The shrill voice of the policeman who demanded I let go of the controls made me feel he was wondering whether to shot first and ask questions later. I was hauled off in the police car, fined $1000, and incurred a $4000 retainer for a lawyer who knew nothing about FAA rules and guidelines. My video showed I was NOT flying over railroad property, the case was "thrown out", but the judge decided to charge me $900 for disturbing the peace. That was near my childhood home in New Jersey. Now I limit my flying time to the rural areas that surround me in New Hampshire.

There should be a legal entity that is available for drone operators who are FAA certified and flying under FAA rules/guidelines to call for legal help or to reference a drone operator's preferred legal counsel.

Reactions: scoble08
Although airspace is open, there are still privacy laws, which the neighbor could argue were broken. Had he simply flown over the property, that would be one thing, but it sounds like he was doing a surveillance mission over private property, which most certainly is illegal
No it is not illegal to fly over private property! Please stop promoting false information.

No it is not illegal to fly over private property! Please stop promoting false information.
I didn’t say it was illegal to fly over private property. In fact I said it was perfectly legal, as long as privacy laws were not being broken. From the way he described what his intention was (to see where all the noise was coming from) he was doing a surveillance mission and that is most definitely illegal.

In my case, I was flying near (I emphasize near) a railroad track and station. A commuter called the local police. The policeman that was sent out had (a year earlier) been involved with a drone terrorist incident involving railroads. The shrill voice of the policeman who demanded I let go of the controls made me feel he was wondering whether to shot first and ask questions later. I was hauled off in the police car, fined $1000, and incurred a $4000 retainer for a lawyer who knew nothing about FAA rules and guidelines. My video showed I was NOT flying over railroad property, the case was "thrown out", but the judge decided to charge me $900 for disturbing the peace. That was near my childhood home in New Jersey. Now I limit my flying time to the rural areas that surround me in New Hampshire.

There should be a legal entity that is available for drone operators who are FAA certified and flying under FAA rules/guidelines to call for legal help or to reference a drone operator's preferred legal counsel.
Apply to FAA through their DroneZone. They will send you a document for 2-3 years clearance for the defined area. I have shown mine for my practice area to LEO several times.

Seeing he is in Ohio,
Ohio: Common Law | Without My Consent
Number 3 under Invasion of Privacy
Not even close! That is a trespass ON private property. Its been litigated many times...landowners do NOT own the airspace above their property. Can’t have a trespass without stepping foot on the property. You’re grabbing at straws. Amazing how quickly some are willing to give up their civil liberties.

I'm not FAA certified or anything so I'm just wondering what exactly are the "rules?"

Here is a link to the FAA Office of Chief Counsel's "cheet sheet" summary of airspace regulation. It covers what the FAA exclusively controls vs what state and local authorities can control, and is official since it comes directly from the FAA.

https://mavicpilots.com/attachments...n-of-uas-fact-sheet-final-12172015-pdf.51196/

Everyone else: what other printed references so you keep handy when flying (other than your FAA proof of registration)?

Attachments

• State and Local Regulation of UAS Fact Sheet Final 12172015.pdf
    79.6 KB · Views: 18
Very nicely done, being respectful to the law enforcement people. And, also showing empathy toward your neighbour. I live in a 55 and over community, lots of elderly cranky people. This is a neighbour hood watch community, and I am part of it with my drone. Not flying over the individual houses, but from 400 feet up in the air I can keep a good eye on the community. Have, spoken with law enforcement as well, keeping a eye on any bad guys with video, pictures etc. I have people comment, hey, we Seen your drone up in the air. Have a good relationship, with everyone regarding the drone.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242