DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

First time buyer/pilot

SecretAcorn

Reactions
My wife and I are going on a trip at the end of September and I have been almost obsessively researching drones. I was looking at the Parrot Anafi for a while but in the end it has come down to the Mavics and I can't decide which one. If the alleged Mavic 2 comes out soon, that will most likely be the winner but I am hoping to pull the trigger by the end of August. I am beginning to have my doubts the Mavic 2 will be released by then.

I'm not going to list all the pros and cons because anyone reading this most likely knows the specs already. But the things that pull me from each drone is:

The Mavic Air's noise level and battery life. I would purchase an extra battery and car charger though to overcome this issue but the loud noise of angry bees bothers me... I'm sure it's something I would get over, but I don't want to bother others around me more than I need to.

The only issue I have with the Pro is it's going to get outdated within several months and I am not as crazy about the bulky look to it.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks all!

I am hoping to pull the trigger by the end of August
I don't think we're going to see a new Mavic shipped before then. DJI hasn't even announced their next release date (if that'll even be the Mavic 2) and they usually always do that at least 2 weeks in advance.

Anything you buy is going to get outdated. At some point you have to commit to a platform and go with it.

The pro has more range and a better long distance video feed than the air.

The pro costs less, and if you have a .edu address you can get a 10% discount on it (even with a sale price).

The pro isn't that big. I think you would be pleasantly surprised at the size of the pro folded up with 3 batteries and controller in a fitted carry bag.

The air is a great drone, nothing against it, but I think the pro is a better value right now.

I'd suggest the parrot, mostly due to its more crash proof gimbal design, for a first timer, the mp gimbal is not at all as rugged

I'd suggest the parrot, mostly due to its more crash proof gimbal design, for a first timer, the mp gimbal is not at all as rugged

Even though there are no sensors for obstacle avoidance? My concerns with the Parrot were how it tends to drift when hovering and I really don’t know how durable it is. I know the Mavics are fairly sturdy

For me I chose air because of pro gimbal sensitivity, air batteries are cheaper to buy, the fly more kit was cheaper (Canada), the added sensors (being first timmer more sensors the better) and just because I felt it was better for me.. With ocusync I'd be temped to go far and lose/crash it. Having a limited range is sometimes a pro not a con. Hard to tell many here that, but think of yourself... How far do you need?

Reactions: SecretAcorn
I'd suggest a used Spark w/ a controller. Easy to learn to use and will do nicely.

Once you're back from your trip, you can sell it for about the same price as you paid for it and then you'll have a very good idea of what you want to do next - keep it for good perhaps / get an Air / get a Pro / keep it til Pro 2 comes out someday if ever.

For me I chose air because of pro gimbal sensitivity, air batteries are cheaper to buy, the fly more kit was cheaper (Canada), the added sensors (being first timmer more sensors the better) and just because I felt it was better for me.. With ocusync I'd be temped to go far and lose/crash it. Having a limited range is sometimes a pro not a con. Hard to tell many here that, but think of yourself... How far do you need?

That’s a good point. Even with the opportunity of taking it out 2.5 miles, I doubt I would. I think my only concern on the Airs connection is interference with the WiFi. The ocusync seems more reliable overall. Good to know about the gimbal sensitivity though. Thanks

In my opinion, the Mavic Pro is a no brained right now. Prices have dropped dramatically recently. The reason I wouldn’t get an Air is because of the wifi it uses instead of OccuSync. I didn’t think I would be going out 2.5 miles before I bought my MP, but now that I have it, it’s awesome to fly out that far. Also if you are flying with obstacles in the way or interference, OccuSync is a lot more reliable than wifi. As mrwagdog said, anything is going to get outdated.

As far as waiting for the MP2, assuming there is one - The worst time to buy tech is when it's first released. It's at its highest price and probably still has bugs because of the race to release it. The MP is still state-of-the-art as far as tech goes, its footprint is only negligibly larger than the MA, you can get a factory refurb with full warranty for under $700 US (near $600 if you're patient), it has a much nicer RC with telemetry and status readouts, parts and software are abundant, flight time exceeds the MA significantly, its noise is tolerable, if not pleasant, and it uses the best transmission system that DJI has. It is also capable of capturing extremely nice video and pics when appropriate settings and filters are applied. The MP2 will no doubt be much more expensive, and most likely larger. To your comment about aesthetics, I personally think that the MP looks better than the MA. You probably won't be disappointed with either choice, but for all the reasons I've stated I have had no interest in purchasing the MA.

My wife and I are going on a trip at the end of September and I have been almost obsessively researching drones. I was looking at the Parrot Anafi for a while but in the end it has come down to the Mavics and I can't decide which one. If the alleged Mavic 2 comes out soon, that will most likely be the winner but I am hoping to pull the trigger by the end of August. I am beginning to have my doubts the Mavic 2 will be released by then.

I'm not going to list all the pros and cons because anyone reading this most likely knows the specs already. But the things that pull me from each drone is:

The Mavic Air's noise level and battery life. I would purchase an extra battery and car charger though to overcome this issue but the loud noise of angry bees bothers me... I'm sure it's something I would get over, but I don't want to bother others around me more than I need to.

The only issue I have with the Pro is it's going to get outdated within several months and I am not as crazy about the bulky look to it.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks all!

Get the Pro. I have them both, have tested both extensively and they are both great drones, but as you say, the noise of the Air is obnoxious. I hate it. It prevents me from flying it, even though the video quality is better. Also, in any kind of wind, the Pro is rock steady. The Air struggles. Good luck in your decision!

Just to fill everyone in from their responses, I got the Pro on Saturday and felt very confident in my decision. I took it out for a few small test runs yesterday and loved the experience. I can't wait to take it out more! Thanks everyone for your responses.

Reactions: tracer bullet
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54