DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flares, Ghosting & Focusing

Mauri59

Reactions
1) Flares: expecially at sunrise and sunset, the light which falls into the lens from the scene you are aiming at, it's also spilled from the sides.
2) Ghosting-strobo (?): quadcopter blades (I suppose), appear into the scene (also hovering, expecially when close to the ground), in form of horizontal dark stripes.
3) Focusing: unpredictably, because it happens with apparent no reason (didn't find yet why), the movie scene is blurred (at a level that's impossible to notice during flight with a tablet). No problems with still images. Stopped the record while flying, centerd focus, again blurred...
...but, minutes later, somewere else, everything goes fine.

1) I think it's a lens issue, impossible to cure. Isn't it?
2) I'm afraid it's again a lenses issue, therefore impossible to cure as well.
3) Would be pleased to understand why it happens and how to fix.

What isyour shutter speed, are you using plastic camera cover?

Shutter speed at least twice fps, but in summer daylight, the ratio is always much more.
Flares appears also in still images, so it's not a shutter problem.

1) Camera design, normal. Look here for reference. A beautiful flight

2) Camera design, normal.

3) So would DJI hehe

However, there are settings for the auto-focus/manual focus and tricks to learn with both. Focusing can be a pain, but it is what it is.

19801-b423ee6008a4f589ffb2b5c2b6e7d37e.jpg

1) Flares seems a real pain when shooting early morning or late afteroon, with sun off Mavic rear. (early/late hours, are the best light for creative shoots, in my opinion. We can use polarized lenses to correct mid day flat light, but we can't create shadows...)
2) Not so bad as flares, but definitely annoying.
3) In some experiments, AF seems to be fooled by distant objects and if focusing tapping the screen with finger. Therefore, the best "trick" seems that to take off, reach a reasonable height, have some object in the center of screen within hundred meters, push the center-focus rear button, start shooting... and don't touch any control related to focusing.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman