DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flickering Video?

Jeremy Clark

Reactions
Hi there. Can anyone help me please. All my flying, editing, & post editing is self taught. I don't know enough about camera settings so only use Auto settings on the Air 2S. Occasionally, I get flickering bars, as seen on this clip at 0.55, usually when flying into or towards the sun. The flickering seen is AFTER I have used a flicker reduction tool in Davinci Resolve in post, so the original was much worse than this clip. I always use a polarising filter due to the amount of sea I usually film. Can anyone give me any guidance? Thanks all

Last edited:
I didn't see a link to click, but I assume the flickering bars are prop shadows that are being recorded.

When the sun and drone are at a certain angle, the rays of the sun will shine through the front rotating props giving a flickering effect that may be noticeable in some footage.

Thanks for the quick reply. I've now inserted the clip in the original post. What an idiot I am!!!

Judging by the angle of the shadows of the trees, it does look like prop flicker.

Nice video BTW. :)

Reactions: Jeremy Clark
Many thanks

Reactions: MA2 317
I had the same thing yesterday. Some how l had turned off the setting which allows you turn the gimbal up which made it worse.

Even $3000 lenses on Hasselblad or Nikon get lens flare shooting close to or into the sun or other bright lights. Plan you shots when the light is better.

I am using Sunnylife lens hood in bright sunny days, no more flickering. The only problem, you need to pin it after starting drone, as camera in max angles can touch the hood
That's why I sent mine back after getting one! The one on my Mini 2 works great and I leave it on all the time. Sunnylife needs to IMPROVE this one 'cos I would love on on my Air 2S

Try lowering the shutter speed and increasing the aperture as needed

...Plan you shots when the light is better.
Photographers LOVE backlight. Asking us to avoid it is a non-starter.

I had a similar issue with my Mini 3 Pro. Shooting in backlight, too.
At first I thought "prop shadows", but a simple inspection of the geometry between the props, the sun and the lens eliminated any possibility of the props shadowing the lens on the Mini 3. You should be able to do the same for your aircraft.

It remains a mystery here.

Photographers LOVE backlight. Asking us to avoid it is a non-starter.

I had a similar issue with my Mini 3 Pro. Shooting in backlight, too.
At first I thought "prop shadows", but a simple inspection of the geometry between the props, the sun and the lens eliminated any possibility of the props shadowing the lens on the Mini 3. You should be able to do the same for your aircraft.

It remains a mystery here.
Thanx for the feedback

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1