DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flight Anxiety

Hey it's kind of a costly piece of equipment. I dread the day I lose mine just for that fact. This site has helped a lot by giving me advise on what not to do and how to avoid making mistakes but I just accept that I might crash one of these days. The first few flights I made were through a steel lattice bridge... not really a wise move. The only time I used to get pumped up was when I was in a situation where I knew if the quad lands/crashes I'd never find it. Now days I only get pumped up when something weird goes wrong like the app crashing while I'm a ways out. The out of control camera gimble really spun me on a few occasions but the last time I handled it OK. My worst day involved my MP slipping into ATTI mode and trying to get it back. I never figured out why it did that and understand stuff just happens but more than likely it was probably something I did wrong. For me, I got over most of the newbie jitters when flights are going right. The funny thing is I get nervous flying fixed wing stuff. As many crashes I've seen over the last year makes me understand why they say "don't get used to your new plane". I stood by a friend who flew his RC jet into the ground on its maiden flight. 15,000 bucks gone in a second. We went out to the crash site, picked up the pieces, and he pulled out a second jet and started flying. Hard to complain about a 800 dollar quad (compared to his jet anyway) but loosing my MP would still be hard to swallow.

Hello all,

I just got a Mavic Pro Platinum and it’s amazing. The one thing that I didn’t expect was the panic that sets in when I fly it. Especially when I loose sight of it.

I feel like I’m throwing a lot of money into the sky and hoping for the best.

I don’t have a question really. I’m just wondering if others feel this way as well.

(Trying not to hijack the OP's thread - but I feel this somewhat related) ...
I'm lurking on these forums trying to learn relevant stuff before I take the plunge and buy a Mavic Pro. I have zero practical experience so excuse the newbie question - but after reading Qoncussion's account of when his app crashed and he rebooted his phone and relaunched the app while his aircraft hovered patiently ... I was wondering what, exactly, is the relationship between the phone/app and the controller and aircraft? If the app crashes, do you still have control of the aircraft using the RC sticks? So, if it's in sight and you know or can figure out the aircraft's attitude, presumably you could just bring it back and land it safely anyway? Or do you need the app running in order to land it? Also - if the app crashed as Qoncussion described above - does that, under normal circumstances, trigger a RTH (therefore implying that Q. had RTH disabled)?
Thanks.
I had that happen the other night. My Mavic Pro was about 150 feet away and 100' up. My tablet suddenly showed DISCONNECTED. I couldn't do anything... it would not respond to my controller...it just sat there hoovering. I shut down the app and started it again... no luck. I simply turned off the controller and turned it back on. At that moment, (of shutting down) it alerted me that it was returning home. I canceled the RTH and continued flying without any problems.

Reactions: gerrardfamilysyd
Hey,

This is totally normal, I still feel anxious sometimes.
My suggestion is to go somewhere where you don't have to worry to get used to some of the safety systems and can test it.

Like practice, putting in return to home, and play with the other options all while drone is close and in sight so you can experiment with different scenarios.

When things go wrong later you will thank yourself for rehearsing these scenarios.

Rob.

Hello all,

I just got a Mavic Pro Platinum and it’s amazing. The one thing that I didn’t expect was the panic that sets in when I fly it. Especially when I loose sight of it.

I don’t have a question really. I’m just wondering if others feel this way as well.

Reactions: Drgnfli
Hello all,

You are, but its an amazing machine, but i suggest if you dont know how to fly without GPS, get you a toy model first and learn how to actually control a non gps drone

Ahh yes.... the sensors. Don't ever use them as a flight navigation tool. Always remember, you are the pilot in control of the craft while in flight. The sensors won't pick up fine objects like tall grass and thin branches or wires. Fly clear of, well, *everything*.

After 8 months, I finally crashed! But if I hadn't been testing the lag & pixelation problem that update 4.2.20 brought on, I would have been OK - I was watching my screen as I was backing away & hit the very top of a 25' tree. Luckily, only broke 3 props. HINT! Find the tallest "obstruction" in your flight area; take off & climb to 10' above that obstruction height & have fun! Been there, done that!

Reactions: Qoncussion
Ewwww... Bad idea! Don't launch from your vehicle - or anywhere near it. The metal WILL throw off your compass... Maybe not today, but it will happen. Stay clear of metal when turning the craft on and launching.

Otherwise ~ glad to hear you had a good day of flying!

Surprised you didn't get a compass error on takeoff. I would love to take off from my tailgate too - nice & clean, with no grass, dirt, dust flying into the cooling fan. I always get a compass error...:(

Reactions: Qoncussion
After 8 months, I finally crashed! But if I hadn't been testing the lag & pixelation problem that update 4.2.20 brought on, I would have been OK - I was watching my screen as I was backing away & hit the very top of a 25' tree. Luckily, only broke 3 props. HINT! Find the tallest "obstruction" in your flight area; take off & climb to 10' above that obstruction height & have fun! Been there, done that!
Bummer about the crash. Glad it was just props! I was flying over the woods today, and a gargantuan, mutant tree darn near took me down. I tilt the camera down slightly and see if I can see the TOPS of the trees. I couldn't see this one on approach, so I throttled up. Sure enough - would have hit it. These things keep you on your toes :)

Reactions: Dave Maine
This is true. I got State Farm a few days ago. Full coverage, no deductible, $60 per year.

I am still nervous to fly far away.
I have contacted a State Farm agent here in the Los Angeles area and they offered me a renters policy, that wasn’t specifically for drones, but did cover my drone. Is this the type of policy that you have?

Reactions: Mavical
I am a newbie and have had my Air for maybe two months. My phone is a Samsung Galaxy S8+. No problems with either of them, just a few user errors. If I watch it as it's ascending I get what feels like a fear of heights. I've learned to just watch the screen on my phone (most of the time anyway). I was getting some video around an abandoned farm house and wanted to get very close to an open window so I flew towards it sideways to avoid the sensors. The Air ended up hitting the house but, thankfully, recovered quickly. The farthest I have had it from me is probably half a mile. I am still getting used to it.

I have contacted a State Farm agent here in the Los Angeles area and they offered me a renters policy, that wasn’t specifically for drones, but did cover my drone. Is this the type of policy that you have?

I don't know the insurance regulations in CA, but what I bought from State Farm here in New York is a personal article policy not a homeowners or renters policy.

Reactions: Soonerdrone
Ok, today i got to have an awesome afternoon flying. Went through 4 batts, trying this/trying that, etc
On my last battery to use, i went fpv....and Wow! Cant wait to do that again.
I put some of the anxiety to rest. Even did a takeoff/landing from the tailgate of my truck. Was a very nice day, no wind, so i went for it.
There are lots of warnings about take offs and landing on metal.

Hello all,

I used to fly fixed-wing aircraft (Piper). I've had my Mavic Pro for about 2 weeks now and I still get the same feeling as when I started to solo in the Piper. People who are unfamiliar with piloting a manned aircraft would be astonished to know that the knowledge base for drone piloting is just as daunting. So much is similar, and so many of the same factors must be taken into consideration. I'm finally getting more confidence in "instrument flying" as I call it - trusting the controller.

The anxiety will go away once you build trust with this drone and become good at flying it. I trust my mavic pro more than I trust my inspire 1.

The Mavic Pro is actually quite easy to fly IMO and my confidence has built by flying it regularly over the 1st 12 months. A one mile radius is a sensible limit for me. Be aware of high winds and flying BACK against a high wind - it takes a fair bit longer. Recce sites before flying also.

I crashed my mavic on it's first flight. I had some experience flying drones drom before, but of course - with my luck - a stupid "compass error" showed up, and i could barely control it. It crashed into the ground (luckily only a propeller broke), and for a long time, my confidence has been 0. I had just started gaining some when the error showed up again. It almost crashed into water, but i managed to land it on a small bridge where i took off from. I then sent it to the store i bought it from and complained, it is now under repair. The thing is; i am afraid i will have no confidense what so ever when i get it back... any tips?

Funny I have never has any anxiety when flying only a rush when I take off and after cutting my teeth with the P2's and learning ATTI none of that bothers me. Course I fly lots here just to fly but as far as this
There are lots of warnings about take offs and landing on metal.
With the Go App as it is and warns you it never bothers me.I have been using my truck bed for years to take off
but always hand catch .Guess some have issues with vehicles but must be a Mississippi thing.
Would I lie to ya .;)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thefons82