DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flight Anxiety

After you publish 20 or 30 videos showing your adventures with your MavicP, you will eventually get to the point where you realize the fun and pleasure you've had with your flying camera is worth more than the money you paid. You realize the value has paid off. Although losing a craft doesn't feel great, you should be able to deal with it, assuming you get that far before you crash. This takes a while, but when you get to that point you should feel less anxiety with each flight under your belt. Hopefully with all your flights you'll have nothing more than close calls that will teach you a lesson and be thankful it wasn't worse. However, you do run the risk with every flight of having bad luck, like running into a wire when you're below 150' (hard to see), or getting attacked by a bird, or have your craft simply fail (not very common) with no pilot error. Things out of your control are simply that, out of your control, and bad luck can strike. No different than some idiot driving and reading a text, unknowingly driving over the center-line, causing a head on collision. Simply bad luck, so stay alert and don't panic when you see a problem. It's kinda like driving a car, most the time you're safe and rarely have an accident, but you know things can happen, and eventually do.

Reactions: vatovec and BD0G
Ok, today i got to have an awesome afternoon flying. Went through 4 batts, trying this/trying that, etc
On my last battery to use, i went fpv....and Wow! Cant wait to do that again.
I put some of the anxiety to rest. Even did a takeoff/landing from the tailgate of my truck. Was a very nice day, no wind, so i went for it.
Ewwww... Bad idea! Don't launch from your vehicle - or anywhere near it. The metal WILL throw off your compass... Maybe not today, but it will happen. Stay clear of metal when turning the craft on and launching.

Otherwise ~ glad to hear you had a good day of flying!

Been flying RC and “drones” of many types for over ten years and have lost a couple of fine Quadcopters with cameras. Bothe of those occurrences were due in part, to the lack of technology that exists today since incidents were several years ago. Today’s DJI products, like my favorite, Mavic Pro, are fairly fail-safe IF the pilot lives in what I call the “what if” zone. I am continuously and subconsciously asking myself, “What if I am flying sideways and I fly into a tree? Are there trees in the same altitude that are not seen by the camera? What if something out of the blue happens and it just falls from the sky? Are there kids, houses, cars that my Mavic might hit on the way down? What if I go around that obstacle and lose a signal? Will Return To Home cause the drone to collide with the obstacle because the RTH altitude is below the object? What if I am in a very deep ravine like happened to me in Page, AZ and I lose GPS connection and the drone decides to drift at 100’ and I hit the wall? I’m sure these question seem like paranoia. However, while preparing for the unexpected may not remove the anxiety, it may allow you, like me, to fly for hundreds of thousands of feet without crashes or even broken props. Stay safe and alert and practice a lot in open areas at first.

Last edited:
Reactions: Greg Smithski
It can help to have a pre-flight check list.
My checklist includes making sure the propellers are on correctly, that the battery is securely attached, that the gimbal lock has been removed, and the 'arms' fully extended.
Once inside the app, I make sure my return to home altitude is what I want, that the maximum altitude is what I want, and most importantly that the IMU and Callibration stength is rated as excellent. These are each settings in the app. If you can find them, you are on your way to more fully understanding the MP via the app.
An over looked tool is the DJI tutorial flight simulator. This will really help with the learning curve of orientation. For example, when you start off, the camera is facing away from you, so the right stick forward flies the MP forward. If you use the left stick to turn the camera to the left, then the forward position of the right stick flies the MP to the right. If the camera is facing you, then the right stick forward flies the MP backward, and lastly, if the camera is facing to the right of you, then the right stick forward flies the MP to the left.
This is disorienting to new pilots, but can easily be understood without getting the MP into the air using the flight simulator in the DJI Go 4 app. There is no risk to any property practicing in the flight simulator.
I also recommend Tripod mode for new pilots. The maximum speed is 2.2 mph.
Hope this helps

I was absolutely terrified when I got my MPP in December. It was expensive, and I feared that hitting the wrong control would send it spinning into the dust. I was actually shaking as it came in for a landing. Over time, you get used to the fact that it isn't likely to fall out of the sky. The great majority of issues on these boards are pilot error, sometimes a result of just not knowing enough about the systems on the AC and how they work.

By about the 5th flight I was reasonably certain the MPP would not betray me, so I added some new tricks, like RTH and circling around a point. I also practiced manual landings with the drone facing me so I would develop the muscle memory to control the drone when the controls were 'reversed'.

I think DJI has produced an amazing piece of kit. There will be glitches, but likely not fatal ones. I think now the issue is over confidence that can lead to skipping pre-flight checks and not studying the weather.

The only thing that will cure the anxiety is time.. the more time you spend with your Mavic the easier it will all seem. Read the manuals, and read them again, and clearly from this forum you can learn what not to do, which is really valuable.

Regardless of how many flights I’ve logged, I know I’m always anxious as soon as I hear your home point has been recorded. I think anxiety keeps me from doing anything dumb. It is definitely a rush.

Reactions: Classic flyer
Well I’m definitely not a newbie to all this, but I still get nervous before a flight in a new area. And that’s after 3 years of doing this. I think it’s a good thing.

I feel a small bit of anxiety each time I fly - and hope that feeling never stops. I reduced the anxiety when I decided to ONLY fly such that I can always see the drone (expect on very rare occasions). I think a tiny bit of anxiety (for me) is healthy as it keeps me from doing something really stupid - and sure does nothing to keep me from enjoying this amazing piece of technology.

Reactions: Classic flyer
Hello all,

I just got a Mavic Pro Platinum and it’s amazing. The one thing that I didn’t expect was the panic that sets in when I fly it. Especially when I loose sight of it.

I feel like I’m throwing a lot of money into the sky and hoping for the best.

I don’t have a question really. I’m just wondering if others feel
Hello all,

I just got a Mavic Pro Platinum and it’s amazing. The one thing that I didn’t expect was the panic that sets in when I fly it. Especially when I loose sight of it.

I don’t have a question really. I’m just wondering if others feel this way as
Hello all,

I don’t have a question really. I’m just wondering if others feel this way as well.
love that feeling

Welcome aboard! You are in the majority when it comes to new flyers. I started off with a Phantom 2. I was flying a over a fast rushing river several years ago for a client's video. My trembling was so bad, I looked like I had just drank 17 cup of coffee. Over time, this will pass... Well mostly :). For me, I calmed down once I started to really trust the craft. The Mavic flys so well that it's hard not to trust it. I have 250 miles logged on this bird in 16 months without a single crash. BTW: if you crash, your confidence drops back down to zero.

Don't sweat it. The nervousness keeps you aware. Just fly close by so you can keep an eye on it, and practice your skills. Flying in figure eights and other alternating patterns will build your skills.

Two days ago I was testing a battery on my Mavic Pro. The battery was fully charged, but the lights kept blinking, while still plugged in to the charger. They blinked for an hour after the battery was charged. I checked these forums and found others who'd had the same problem, saying that the battery flew fine and returned to normal charging the next time around. Mid-flight, I flew the Mavic out over a lake a ways. Then I remembered that I was testing the battery, and there was that nervous feeling again. It happens.

Happy flying!

I am reading this and note that you have 250 miles without a crash but then state that if you crash, your confidence drops to zero. Makes me wonder - did you crash and are typing from personal experience? ;)

I am reading this and note that you have 250 miles without a crash but then state that if you crash, your confidence drops to zero. Makes me wonder - did you crash and are typing from personal experience? ;)
My Phantom 2 was my crash test dummy. It's where I learned how to crash... And crash I did. It's on its third replacement shell/body, second set of motors, third gimbal....etc. I do all of my own repairs, which boosted my learning curve. By the time I got my Mavic, I knew *exactly* what NOT to do.

Hi there ...bought my Mavic 2 weeks ago and I understand what you mean ... spent most of first week taking off and landing and very short flights to get used to the controls and touch required to manoeuvre ! Second week over the fields flying further but always maintained line of sight and still practising manoeuvres and touch reauired along with changing gimbal in flight .. just bought a second hand iPad Mini 4 and have to say that this has given me greater confidence still as I can see the screen and all icons much easier and that’s a confidence booster , now planning to spend this week flying more .... Keep at it, read the manual, ask members on here and practice and all will be fine !

I too just bought a used (refurbished) ipad mini 4. With my S9+ there was just too much glare to be able to see the screen well when in bright sunlight. But one thing I really enjoy with the S9+ is using Litchi's FPV mode with some cheap VR goggles.

i thought i was getting pretty cocky flying farther and farther away then i got carried away shooting some awsome scenes over a lake and realized i was over 3500ft away,,,,,haha farhest i have gone, panicked and came back, i use the data on the rc also to know which way i am coming home, i couldnt imagine flying a spark with no data on the rc and your app crashes,,,,, how do u know which way your going,,,,

Reactions: Cheech Wizard
Hello all,

I don’t have a question really. I’m just wondering if others feel this way as well.

Ha, you are normal! It gets easier, but don't get cocky and try to show off, that's when "it" happens. I found that at distance, it's tough looking through a camera, perceptive is all messed. You will see when you download your first video on the computer. Sometimes it looks like you are right in some branches but more than likely 10 feet away. I showed off once... "Hey guys, watch me blow the leaves out of my gutters" Oops... once the props were blowing half on the roof and half 12 ft to the ground.. it flipped... Another tip.. Don't take off in an enclosed area.... it's hard to thread the needle between trees with a critical battery warning you.

It's pretty exciting some times when you get into a bad situation and you don't panic and land it in one piece at your feet. Just don't take chances and have fun.

I can offer a little hope on this particular subject. On my very first MP flight, using a Nexus 6P, the app crashed. The MP was out a little ways, but I had been hovering while shooting some photos, and up to the point where the app crashed, the bird was holding its position perfectly. Boom! The app crashed and my internal reaction was very calm. I knew (hoped) that the bird would just stay right where I had left it. I calmly rebooted the phone and launched Go4, and what do you know - it hadn't moved an inch. I think I was calm simply from having already had many hours of flight time and from understanding exactly how the MP worked before my first launch.

My point? You'll get there... :)

(Trying not to hijack the OP's thread - but I feel this somewhat related) ...
I'm lurking on these forums trying to learn relevant stuff before I take the plunge and buy a Mavic Pro. I have zero practical experience so excuse the newbie question - but after reading Qoncussion's account of when his app crashed and he rebooted his phone and relaunched the app while his aircraft hovered patiently ... I was wondering what, exactly, is the relationship between the phone/app and the controller and aircraft? If the app crashes, do you still have control of the aircraft using the RC sticks? So, if it's in sight and you know or can figure out the aircraft's attitude, presumably you could just bring it back and land it safely anyway? Or do you need the app running in order to land it? Also - if the app crashed as Qoncussion described above - does that, under normal circumstances, trigger a RTH (therefore implying that Q. had RTH disabled)?
Thanks.

After 12 months and no problems, me too-still!
Remember, hands off, this magic little bird simply hovers. Trust it.
Go through the pre flight check list. Ensure that everyhing is normal.
Initially set battery warnings on the high side- gives you plenty of time to deal with issues. Eg- instant panic, restart App etc.
Set RTH to ensure clearance at your current location.
Make sure that Home Point is correct before flying away- Check the Map.
Choose a large open area and practise all the flight options. See Youtube for tutorials. Ignore the fly away and drama tubes - mostly pilot error and they introduce unnecessary doubts.
Start return home a soon as battery warning starts- don't push the envelope.
Had my first ever App disconnect yesterday 500m out over a lake with plenty of battery in reserve. Controller still functioned but I was unsure of flight direction. RTH- and after an anxious wait Mavic Pro landed within 2cm of take off point.
App re connected and flew three batteries no problems.

(Trying not to hijack the OP's thread - but I feel this somewhat related) ...
I'm lurking on these forums trying to learn relevant stuff before I take the plunge and buy a Mavic Pro. I have zero practical experience so excuse the newbie question - but after reading Qoncussion's account of when his app crashed and he rebooted his phone and relaunched the app while his aircraft hovered patiently ... I was wondering what, exactly, is the relationship between the phone/app and the controller and aircraft? If the app crashes, do you still have control of the aircraft using the RC sticks? So, if it's in sight and you know or can figure out the aircraft's attitude, presumably you could just bring it back and land it safely anyway? Or do you need the app running in order to land it? Also - if the app crashed as Qoncussion described above - does that, under normal circumstances, trigger a RTH (therefore implying that Q. had RTH disabled)?
Thanks.
If the app crashes, you will still have full control via the RC, and no RTH will be triggered. If the RC disconnects = RTH.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odofi