DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flight Anxiety

mdominic

Reactions
Hello all,

I just got a Mavic Pro Platinum and it’s amazing. The one thing that I didn’t expect was the panic that sets in when I fly it. Especially when I loose sight of it.

I feel like I’m throwing a lot of money into the sky and hoping for the best.

I don’t have a question really. I’m just wondering if others feel this way as well.

Welcome aboard! You are in the majority when it comes to new flyers. I started off with a Phantom 2. I was flying a over a fast rushing river several years ago for a client's video. My trembling was so bad, I looked like I had just drank 17 cup of coffee. Over time, this will pass... Well mostly :). For me, I calmed down once I started to really trust the craft. The Mavic flys so well that it's hard not to trust it. I have 250 miles logged on this bird in 16 months without a single crash. BTW: if you crash, your confidence drops back down to zero.

Don't sweat it. The nervousness keeps you aware. Just fly close by so you can keep an eye on it, and practice your skills. Flying in figure eights and other alternating patterns will build your skills.

Two days ago I was testing a battery on my Mavic Pro. The battery was fully charged, but the lights kept blinking, while still plugged in to the charger. They blinked for an hour after the battery was charged. I checked these forums and found others who'd had the same problem, saying that the battery flew fine and returned to normal charging the next time around. Mid-flight, I flew the Mavic out over a lake a ways. Then I remembered that I was testing the battery, and there was that nervous feeling again. It happens.

Happy flying!

Thanks! Good to know.

I did crash on my second flight. I was flying forward close to the ground. I thought the drone would stay level to the ground and the sensors would prevent it from hitting, but it hit the grass gimbal first and rolled three times. I couldn't calibrate the gimbal after that and customer service was useless. Luckily I bought it at Costco and could exchange it.

Thanks! Good to know.

I did crash on my second flight. I was flying forward close to the ground. I thought the drone would stay level to the ground and the sensors would prevent it from hitting, but it hit the grass gimbal first and rolled three times. I couldn't calibrate the gimbal after that and customer service was useless. Luckily I bought it at Costco and could exchange it.
Ahh yes.... the sensors. Don't ever use them as a flight navigation tool. Always remember, you are the pilot in control of the craft while in flight. The sensors won't pick up fine objects like tall grass and thin branches or wires. Fly clear of, well, *everything*.

Hello all,

I just got a Mavic Pro Platinum and it’s amazing. The one thing that I didn’t expect was the panic that sets in when I fly it. Especially when I loose sight of it.

I don’t have a question really. I’m just wondering if others feel this way as well.

I think that it is important to start to feel comfortable before you start trying to do some of the tough, and out of sight movements. My first over water flight scared me, but then I decided that if watching my child paddle board was important, and sharing the videos with Grandma in Hawaii, well, the reward was worth the risk. Experience will make you calmer and more at ease, or a few minor and survived crashes will help.

Reactions: mdominic
Hello all,

Just don't loose sight of it. I never do. After 1000 feet I call it quits.

Hello all,

Me. Everytime.
I've been flying on and off for 6 months now and while I've not had any problems so far. It took me several flights before I let it out of my sight.
Its just that I know I can't afford to relace it if it gets destroyed or lost. $1800AUD is a lot of money for me. (I bought the Mavic Pro Fly More Combo)

Oh gee, great thread, thanks for starting it.
I too got the Platinum at Costco, so it has the goggles. I've only had a chance to fly a few times now and still haven't even left the beginners mode. The goggles are sitting on my dining table, charged up, but cannot imagine using them (yet). The notion of not being able to see the drone while flying it has me very spooked, but also excited about being in the cockpit while flying. At this point i am still getting a feel for the controls. It's a brilliant bird, but there's still a pretty steep learning curve. I'm pretty mechanical (I'm an nurse and I've also restored 8 houses), but honestly still feeling awkward when i fly... and thus nervous.

The nerves will get better, everyone goes through it, take small steps and get used to the Mavic.

@mdominic your post cracks me up, I've had this on my mind the past few weeks as a newbie (Costco MPP/goggles bundle). I even notice mild anxiety/adrenaline *before* I start flying on days I'm planning to, mixed with the fun anticipation. Been wondering, is this a healthy new source of stress in my life? But who knows, perhaps this personality trait is what distinguishes us boy scout types from mavericks who crash their brand new $1K+ drones in the first week, and ties back to our relationship to shiny new toys as little kids. :)

What others write here is true, enjoyment replaces anxiety as confidence builds. Just get the AC up in the air and hover for extended periods while exploring all the modes, indicators, and controls. It's taking me back to learning to drive back as a teenager!

One mental block I've had to overcome is realizing quadcopters aren't like airplanes we're all mentally accustomed to, in that they don't "stall" and crash if they stop moving -- this quirky notion had me hesitating to try Fixed Wing Mode for weeks! (Though I subsequently discovered I don't really enjoy it as much as regular flight mode, since it substantially restricts goggles viewing.)

I'll add to @Qoncussion's observation, not just crashes but *any* mid-flight anomalies ratchet down my confidence. I was dealing with repeated random RC disconnects at close range, even preventing me from force landing after failsafe RTH. Those turned out to be defective RC (overheating, I think), and resolved with no-questions-asked exchange at Costco.

I'll add to @Qoncussion's observation, not just crashes but *any* mid-flight anomalies ratchet down my confidence. I was dealing with repeated random RC disconnects at close range, even preventing me from force landing after failsafe RTH. Those turned out to be defective RC (overheating, I think), and resolved with no-questions-asked exchange at Costco.

I can offer a little hope on this particular subject. On my very first MP flight, using a Nexus 6P, the app crashed. The MP was out a little ways, but I had been hovering while shooting some photos, and up to the point where the app crashed, the bird was holding its position perfectly. Boom! The app crashed and my internal reaction was very calm. I knew (hoped) that the bird would just stay right where I had left it. I calmly rebooted the phone and launched Go4, and what do you know - it hadn't moved an inch. I think I was calm simply from having already had many hours of flight time and from understanding exactly how the MP worked before my first launch.

My point? You'll get there... :)

Hi there ...bought my Mavic 2 weeks ago and I understand what you mean ... spent most of first week taking off and landing and very short flights to get used to the controls and touch required to manoeuvre ! Second week over the fields flying further but always maintained line of sight and still practising manoeuvres and touch reauired along with changing gimbal in flight .. just bought a second hand iPad Mini 4 and have to say that this has given me greater confidence still as I can see the screen and all icons much easier and that’s a confidence booster , now planning to spend this week flying more .... Keep at it, read the manual, ask members on here and practice and all will be fine !

Ok, today i got to have an awesome afternoon flying. Went through 4 batts, trying this/trying that, etc
On my last battery to use, i went fpv....and Wow! Cant wait to do that again.
I put some of the anxiety to rest. Even did a takeoff/landing from the tailgate of my truck. Was a very nice day, no wind, so i went for it.

I've had mine over a year now and still suffer some anxiety when flying it. Most of my flights are over water so I think that that adds to it!

I have found, that to manage the anxiety, I have a "plan" for each flight - planning what I'm going to do, where I'm going, what I'm going to test. If you plan to test some emergency situations and how to handle them if/when they occur then it builds confidence. (it also continues to amaze me how well it cooperates!)

I've also set myself some "rules" so I don't get caught in a situation and make a stupid decision that might cause a problem (e.g. return home when battery percentage remaining reaches "x")

I have found that the anxiety lessens, but doesn't go away.

Hello all,

Anxiety in every flight...what a rush!

I only feel anxiety when I’m doing something I have not done before.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada