DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flight Approval for Wedding Job 8 months away

jtcfilms

Reactions
Flight approval help needed! I have a potential wedding job here in Destin, FL/attached in November but need to confirm if I’ll be able to fly on wedding day (and of course am seeing the below notice today)... what’s the best way to go about this this far in advance? Thanks!

IMG_1439.PNG

Try AirMap and request LAANC approval. You may be able to see what’s going on better.
Also, try a low altitude. Often clearance can be obtained at lower altitudes.

Reactions: jtcfilms
This is what AirMap shows for that area. It lies within the Eglin MOA and LAANC clearance is not available. You will have to file for a 107 waiver via the FAA Drone Zone.

Attachments

• 147FE074-E92C-4E62-9CA7-FEE2858C5CD7.jpeg
    147FE074-E92C-4E62-9CA7-FEE2858C5CD7.jpeg
    48.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 5BC1DE02-9FE9-41C3-92DA-084D3477B426.jpeg
    5BC1DE02-9FE9-41C3-92DA-084D3477B426.jpeg
    51.1 KB · Views: 14
AS noted above, that's not going to be easy. The vast majority of that area is gonna be a challenge but, depending on exactly where you're needing to fly there are a few select areas you might get a DroneZone Approval. In the image I'm attaching you see the arrow pointing at Destin. The city itself is in a corridor of (0') and most likely not going to be allowed (never know till you at least try). But if you look North, North West, and South West of the city you'll see a few areas that are somewhat promising of getting some type of approval via DroneZone (highlighted with Grey boxes by me).Screenshot 2021-04-01 07.56.13.png

Here's what I would do:

* Plan like you can NOT get approval to fly.... buy a long pole and have your cameras so you can remotely trigger the shutter
* Do a "test" approval for right now and see what might work right now if the wedding was this weekend.

Keep in mind that even if you get approval to fly in your desired area on your desired date you'll need to check EVERYTHING immediately prior to launching because the local base etc there could toss up some "surprise" training etc that would change your approvals. An unexpected TFR will override any approvals you may have.

Side Note: Weddings aren't the best place for a UAS. We've done over a dozen of them but we go into great detail explaining that due to the quietness of the wedding itself the sound of the aircraft is going to stand out. Guests (and possibly wedding party) are going to keep looking up at the UAS when all attention should be on the Bride-Groom. The actual ceremony should not be interrupted by the UAS sounds. We only shoot BEFORE the ceremony and AFTER the ceremony for that reason.

Side Note 2: You can NOT fly over people unless you have met ALL of the requirements for Operations Over People that should be in place after 4/21/21. This means you would have to meet Cat-1 as 2,3, and 4 are not yet applicable:
Ops over People, Category 1
* would have to be flying an aircraft under 250gr​
* Contains no “exposed rotating parts that would lacerate human skin upon impact with a human being”. (Aka Prop CAGES not prop guards)​
* No flights over open air assemblies w/o RID (RID goes into effect ~2023)​

This is what AirMap shows for that area. It lies within the Eglin MOA and LAANC clearance is not available. You will have to file for a 107 waiver via the FAA Drone Zone.
Got it. Looked like there may be some other clearances needed as well.. military base + national park nearby... ugh. Do you think I will have any issues filing for a waiver through FAA Drone Zone?

AS noted above, that's not going to be easy. The vast majority of that area is gonna be a challenge but, depending on exactly where you're needing to fly there are a few select areas you might get a DroneZone Approval. In the image I'm attaching you see the arrow pointing at Destin. The city itself is in a corridor of (0') and most likely not going to be allowed (never know till you at least try). But if you look North, North West, and South West of the city you'll see a few areas that are somewhat promising of getting some type of approval via DroneZone (highlighted with Grey boxes by me).View attachment 126583

Here's what I would do:

* Plan like you can NOT get approval to fly.... buy a long pole and have your cameras so you can remotely trigger the shutter
* Do a "test" approval for right now and see what might work right now if the wedding was this weekend.

Keep in mind that even if you get approval to fly in your desired area on your desired date you'll need to check EVERYTHING immediately prior to launching because the local base etc there could toss up some "surprise" training etc that would change your approvals. An unexpected TFR will override any approvals you may have.

Side Note: Weddings aren't the best place for a UAS. We've done over a dozen of them but we go into great detail explaining that due to the quietness of the wedding itself the sound of the aircraft is going to stand out. Guests (and possibly wedding party) are going to keep looking up at the UAS when all attention should be on the Bride-Groom. The actual ceremony should not be interrupted by the UAS sounds. We only shoot BEFORE the ceremony and AFTER the ceremony for that reason.

Side Note 2: You can NOT fly over people unless you have met ALL of the requirements for Operations Over People that should be in place after 4/21/21. This means you would have to meet Cat-1 as 2,3, and 4 are not yet applicable:
* Contains no “exposed rotating parts that would lacerate human skin upon impact with a human being”. (Aka Prop CAGES not prop guards)​
WOW - I appreciate all of this detail. Looks like it's going to be tough. Sounds like I just need to give FAA DroneZone a try and see what happens. Now im just trying to figure out how Im seeing all this different drone footage of this same area all over YouTube lol.... scratching my head

Reactions: BigAl07
Now im just trying to figure out how Im seeing all this different drone footage of this same area all over YouTube lol.... scratching my head
Most are probably from illegal flights, either through ignorance of the airspace or total disregard of the regulations. If you see any that appear to be from a legitimate business, I would suggest messaging them on YouTube for information on how they obtained clearance.

AS noted above, that's not going to be easy. The vast majority of that area is gonna be a challenge but, depending on exactly where you're needing to fly there are a few select areas you might get a DroneZone Approval. In the image I'm attaching you see the arrow pointing at Destin. The city itself is in a corridor of (0') and most likely not going to be allowed (never know till you at least try). But if you look North, North West, and South West of the city you'll see a few areas that are somewhat promising of getting some type of approval via DroneZone (highlighted with Grey boxes by me).View attachment 126583

Here's what I would do:

BigA107,

Since the mini/mini 2 are so close to the 250gr limit, does it seem likely that cages will be available that keep these units under the weight limit for Category 1?

What about new props designed not to lacerate? Too much to ask for?

If not, it would appear that this Category 1 compliance may not be achievable in the real world.

Thoughts?

BigA107,

Since the mini/mini 2 are so close to the 250gr limit, does it seem likely that cages will be available that keep these units under the weight limit for Category 1?

If not, it would appear that this Category 1 compliance may not be achievable in the real world.

Thoughts?
No
Yes
In some cases

• Love
Reactions: BigAl07
WOW - I appreciate all of this detail. Looks like it's going to be tough. Sounds like I just need to give FAA DroneZone a try and see what happens. Now im just trying to figure out how Im seeing all this different drone footage of this same area all over YouTube lol.... scratching my head
I have applied for and received approval to fly in a 0 ft. maximum altitude area through Drone Zone. In this case it is a golf course close to a Class D airport.

That being said, the golf course has changes in elevation and trees which prevent aircraft from flying below ~200 ft. AGL at the highest point (much greater in other areas of the course). I was able to get approval for up to 150 ft. AGL. The purpose of this was to video each hole which would be placed on their website for marketing purposes. I was told I would not have received approval to fly for recreational purposes.

It looks like your site is going to be around sea level. If there are other obstacles in the immediate flight area of the wedding (trees, buildings, towers) you could survey the site and determine their maximum height AGL. Then your request could include limiting flight altitude to at or below the height of the surrounding obstacles and within a small radius. Worth a shot.

At least you have some time to research and submit a request via Drone Zone.

Good luck...

BigA107,

Thoughts?

I doubt we'll see anything for the Mini series (as it is now) being placed on the UAS and still keeping it under the 250gr weight.

New Props? They have to be firm/rigid enough to maintain shape and still create lift so "softie" props aren't going to happen.

Cat 1 may not be currently achievable in the DJI realm but you've got to remember there are a lot of non-DJI aircraft out there and many of them will be able to comply with Cat-1.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS