DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flight in Bali

LeRoytheBoy

Reactions
Earlier this year, (Feb), I went to Bali Indonesia. Stayed across the road from Kuta Beach.
I witnessed a person flying a drone around sunset nearly every evening.
Bali has beautiful sunsets.
I thought, gee whiz , I'd like to have a go at that.
So I went out and bought myself a Mavic Air.
Went back to Bali for the second half of August and couldn't wait to get to the beach.
To my dismay, Drone flying at Kuta beach is now in an excluded area because of it's proximity to the airport. About 5 or 6 klms as the Crow fly's.
I was very disappointed.
Some of the local beach goers suggested that I go down to Padma Beach about 500 meters north of Kuta beach.
Did that, and it worked perfectly.
It must be right on the border of the exclusion zone, because if I headed South with the Air, it would only let me fly about 40 meters before it warned me about NO Signal.
Now back at Kuta beach, I spoke with a Russian man who also bought a Mavic Air, that he bought it in Dempesar Bali, for about 2 million Indonesian Ruppiah. (au$2,000). That's expensive.
He was flying his Air non stop at Kuta Beach.

My question to the forum is:-
1.How can he do this.?
2. Is there a way to fly my Air without locking into the GPS.?

I'm back home now in Australia, but I am sensible enough and cautious enough that I would not fly out of my sighted area.
There is no way I would try to fly the 4 or 5 klms to the airport.
As I am still learning about flying all the time, I I'd be too scared of losing the Drone. They're not cheap.

Appreciate if anybody can advise.

Regards
LeRoy

Who wouldn't like to take vdo's of a sunset like this. ???

20190815_181448.jpg

If you look at the map on DJI Fly Safe it looks like at least part of Kuta Beach is inside an authorisation zone. You should be able to self unlock and fly there.

Thanks Pete.
Can you also advise.
I tried to post a MP4 Video in the forum without any luck.
Is there a trick.???
1st. time it said the file was too large. The vdo in question wasn't even 2 minutes long.
2nd. time I tried a shorter vdo ( 1:20) and it just came up with the vdo file name and a line through that.

Any ideas M8.

LeRoy

Thanks Pete.
Can you also advise.
Is there a trick.???
1st. time it said the file was too large. The vdo in question wasn't even 2 minutes long.
2nd. time I tried a shorter vdo ( 1:20) and it just came up with the vdo file name and a line through that.

Any ideas M8.

LeRoy
Upload to YouTube, select the video, ask for and copy the link. Enter the link as text (not media) on the forum page and it will appear with preview... below is one of mine (hyperlapse) done that way:

Reactions: deleted member 877
Thanks Pete.
Can you also advise.
Is there a trick.???

Any ideas M8.

LeRoy

[/Q

Thanks Thomas - just beat me to it.

LeRoy, if you don't already have a YouTube account it's free and easy to setup.

Reactions: Thomas B
Nice

The Russian man got hell of a deal if he got an Air for 2 million, that's equivilant to $200 Oz dollars. Current exchange rate about 10,000 IR to a dollar

Upload to YouTube, select the video, ask for and copy the link. Enter the link as text (not media) on the forum page and it will appear with preview... below is one of mine (hyperlapse) done that way:
Amazing sunset. How long did that take?
I just realised that that is what I should have done the other night with the Smokey sky. I was to busy rushing to get the shot, and didn’t think of it.

Fantastic video Thomas B. With allot more practice I aspire to be as good as you. Thank you.
I did create a YouTube account yesterday, and I'm self teaching myself a video editing program "Filmora"
I know there are probably better editing programs out there, but this is what I chose.
Kind Regards
LeRoy

Reactions: Thomas B
Amazing sunset. How long did that take?
I just realised that that is what I should have done the other night with the Smokey sky. I was to busy rushing to get the shot, and didn’t think of it.
Took 22-23 minutes of battery. Took off, straight up to 175 feet framed the shot. Then filmed it in the hyperlapse fire flight mode. Usually set timing of shots to something in the 2 - 5 second range. BTW, that vid is unedited.
Easy, give it a try.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka