DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

flight modes

Wick

Reactions
For flight modes on the Mavic Air 2 such as Focus track, active track etc I will need LTE on the tablet to perform this correct?

Ok I was under the impression for follow me modes and similar I would need LTE.
Thanks

Ok I was under the impression for follow me modes and similar I would need LTE.
No flight mode requires internet data.
Perhaps you were confused with the situation with iPads and Apple not providing GPS except in their cellular capable iPads.
Follow-me requires a GPS enabled phone or tablet.
Active tracking doesn't ... it uses optical technology.
No other flight mode requires a GPS enabled phone or tablet

Ok. It must have been an old thread from years ago about “follow me” not working with WiFi. Anyhow I still went with the LTE mini. Thanks for the info

I think the MA1 was the first to not have GPS based Follow-Me mode. It was definitely excluded from the M2.
Follow Me never required WiFi, but did require you to carry around the remote, attached to your GPS equipped device, where it would track your remote GPS location.

Since the introduction of optical based ActiveTrack, there's little call for the GPS based Follow-Me.

Lately the DJI apps have had problems making use of device GPS on both iOS and Androids but the only other use for it is to change HP to a new remote location.

Reactions: Wick
Lately the DJI apps have had problems making use of device GPS on both iOS and Androids but the only other use for it is to change HP to a new remote location.
No-one has reported any difficulty on Android except yourself.
DJI's apps still accept GPS data from Android devices.

Reactions: InvisibleName
No-one has reported any difficulty on Android except yourself.
DJI's apps still accept GPS data from Android devices.

My issue, which I learned has to do with lack of a compass, is not being able to see where my drone is in reference to me on an android tablet. I haven't played with follow me or active track yet, I was not aware that it used GPS, I thought it was purely optical,, but my thought is not based on any research, as I haven't tried it yet.

My issue, which I learned has to do with lack of a compass, is not being able to see where my drone is in reference to me on an android tablet.
If your tablet lacks a compass, it's a very rare case although I think I did hear of one strange old Samsung that didn't have a compass.
I haven't played with follow me or active track yet, I was not aware that it used GPS, I thought it was purely optical,, but my thought is not based on any research, as I haven't tried it yet.
Follow-me is old-tech and requires GPS data for the target to be able to follow it.
Active tracking is much more useful and uses optical technology.

If your tablet lacks a compass, it's a very rare case although I think I did hear of one strange old Samsung that didn't have a compass.

Someone on here said that Non Cellular Samsung tablets lack a compass, but have GPS, but Apple has Compass and lacks GPS. I just have the cheap Galaxy Tab A 8 inch, works great minus that not seeing where my drone is in reference to me, but if I need that I'll use the phone.

Someone on here said that Non Cellular Samsung tablets lack a compass, but have GPS, but Apple has Compass and lacks GPS. I just have the cheap Galaxy Tab A 8 inch, works great minus that not seeing where my drone is in reference to me, but if I need that I'll use the phone.
Someone might have said it, but they were wrong.
Almost every tablet has a compass.
Almost every Android tablet has GPS and a compass.
That Samsung Tab 8" is the unusual one that lacks a compass.
Strangely, the 10" version has a compass though., there might be one old one that doesn't have a compass.

Reactions: InvisibleName
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
engmarceloacs