DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flips over backwards on takeoff

modicad

Reactions
Bought the Mavic 2 Air a year ago but lived in a no fly zone so never flown. Moved to Florida so all is good w/flying area. Update all software, went through all the new guy videos...ensured blades were on correct engines, etc... When outside and placed it on a flat unobstructed surface and ensured it was connected to the controller. Engaged auto takeoff button and it immediately flipped over backwards destroying the back two props. I am so bummed. Now I am worried about trying it again. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Reactions: Sereinx
Next time, make sure you have the right props on the correct arms, securely installed.

What you've described here is exactly what will happen if you swap two props from their correct positions, putting upward thrust on one pair and downward thrust on the other pair.

The props are marked for this reason.

Next time, make sure you have the right props on the correct arms, securely installed.

What you've described here is exactly what will happen if you swap two props from their correct positions, putting upward thrust on one pair and downward thrust on the other pair.

The props are marked for this reason.
Thanks for the response but that was not the issue. I ensured the blades were on the right motors...grey to grey, etc... I will try again tomorrow and thanks again.

Thanks for the response but that was not the issue. I ensured the blades were on the right motors...grey to grey, etc... I will try again tomorrow and thanks again.
And the grey-marked are your front right and rear left?

@modicad unfortunately when the MA2 was introduced ,it was possible to put the wrong props on any of the motors ,unlike other mavics that would not let you get it wrong, two diagonally apposed front to rear motors have a CCW prop on then and the other two have CW props on them as per the diagram in the online manual

Bought the Mavic 2 Air a year ago but lived in a no fly zone so never flown. Moved to Florida so all is good w/flying area. Update all software, went through all the new guy videos...ensured blades were on correct engines, etc... When outside and placed it on a flat unobstructed surface and ensured it was connected to the controller. Engaged auto takeoff button and it immediately flipped over backwards destroying the back two props. I am so bummed. Now I am worried about trying it again. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Two of your prop are on the incorrect motor. See post above. No other possible explanation.

Props on incorrectly. Stuff happens. Been there. Done that. It’s how humans learn — well, some of us. Happy flying.

If positive the props are correct, do an IMU calibration. Follow in-app instructions. Also spin the motors by hand to check for binding from bearings or debris.

Yeah as has been stated already you put the props on wrong. Did you end up figuring this out? Also if anyone is reading this learn from the OP. Look at the DJI map and make sure you can fly a drone from your location before buying a drone, or you'll end up buying something you can't even use from your backyard.

I had a Mavic 2 Pro flip over frontwards, and know the props were installed correctly because I’d flown it fine up to that point.
Blogs suggested I recalibrate the IMU after a software update, which I hadn’t done. Tried that; it didn’t flip but took off and flew into a deck chair on its own.
Since I was on a metal boat deck and unsure if there were major electrical components beneath it, I deferred flying until I could do so ashore. There, it behaved as it should.
still a head-scratcher

I had a Mavic 2 Pro flip over frontwards, and know the props were installed correctly because I’d flown it fine up to that point.
Blogs suggested I recalibrate the IMU after a software update, which I hadn’t done. Tried that; it didn’t flip but took off and flew into a deck chair on its own.
Since I was on a metal boat deck and unsure if there were major electrical components beneath it, I deferred flying until I could do so ashore. There, it behaved as it should.
still a head-scratcher

You attempted to calibrate the IMU on a boat?

Yep, on a boat under way, so I didn’t have an option. The boat was 425’ long, though.

Doesn't matter how long it is. IMU calibration requires a completely stationary aircraft. And when you did take off and it flew into the deck chair - was the boat under way at that time too?

Sounds to me like one or two motors weren't working! try pushing both sticks down and in to start your motors,, if they start then operator error! lol if not you've got motors to look at!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlafica