DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Florida - Disney Parks

Lubelaczek

Reactions
Hello,
Please read first and understand what I have in mind, before you judge my question.
We are going to visit Florida soon. Disney's and other parks are our targets. And again, plz don't start about NFZ and No-Drones before you understand my intentions.
Most likely we will leave our hotel room in early morning and come back after sunset. I hate to loose time to go back and forth just to pickup my bird. There will be more than sure, a chance to take some legal flyovers, away from parks.
It is not recommended to leave drone and batteries in oven-hot-car. It is more than sure, that car will heat up to dangerous point, down there in Florida. I don't want take that risk.
So my question is:
If I have it dissembled, no propellers, no battery installed on drone, will it pass security check point at the gates? Is this possible?
If not, than my other idea is to have Styrofoam cooler in the car. Keep it in there, with hope that it will not heat up too much or blow up. What do you think about that idea?
Any experience or ideas that you can share with us, responsible pilots. I don't mean to give ideas and tips to those reckless casual fliers. They will always find a way to ruin it for others, without our tips.

I find that the trunk of my car is very cool in the Texas heat. Even more if I just have objects in a bag. In our suv the same. In addition my pelican case is impervious to the heat.

I think the glass is what transfers the most heat into the car.

The literature states the batteries and RC because it has a battery in it have a problem with heat. The drone itself should be fine.
Put the batteries and the RC in one of those little insulated bags and put them all in the trunk.

Reactions: Inspirephil
Assuming you are renting a car- Get a white or light colored car. Problem solved.
No. We will drive there in our dark burgundy suv. Not best color to keep it cool... But it looks cool :cool:
Little aside of main question. Any places you recommend in Florida, south/east of Orlando that are safe and worth to see from above?

Last edited:
Put it in a styrofoam cooler with a 6 pack of something cold, preferably inside it's flight bag. It might fog up on you if you take it out directly in the humid heat. If it does, don't power it on until it warms up and is completely dry. No ice, just something cold to keep it from getting too hot. Maybe just a couple of cans. Experiment now, before you leave on the trip.

The entire area is a no fly and that includes the hotels. Unless you plan to drive a few miles away from Disney property there really isn't any point in bringing it. But I dont think you need to worry about the heat to much. Think about it, how do they get these things to stores and to your door. It gets delivered in a truck.

Reactions: Beachboy
The entire area is a no fly and that includes the hotels. Unless you plan to drive a few miles away from Disney property there really isn't any point in bringing it. But I dont think you need to worry about the heat to much. Think about it, how do they get these things to stores and to your door. It gets delivered in a truck.
Yes. We do plan to move around. Possibly go all the way to Keys which by the way are also NFZ for me. ?
You helped me to get an idea. Just looked at "know before you fly" maps. Unless we will be going away from "crowds", parks etc. there is no point to even put it in the car. Between hotel and parks there will be no chance to use it.

From what I understand, if I cannot use it on my way to the park ("know before you fly" maps explain why) what will be the point to bring it in at all. Just answered my own original question ?

Ah yes, I understood you wanted to fly later after the parks (outside any NFZ's) and just had the issue of batteries in the vehicle while in Disney.
No doubt if the air restrictions surrounding are that bad, yes sadly it might as well be left at home or at your accommodation.

Enjoy the outings regardless :)

Reactions: Lubelaczek
I live in Orlando ;)
Disney security is notoriously over zealous, I worked at Disney as an IT contractor.
Don't even consider taking your drone or controller into any park, that's just going to get uncomfortable for you. The best is to leave it in the hotel room, but I understand you may want to visit places and have your drone. Leave the drone and controller (it will raise too many questions) in your car in a cooler with an ice pack. Take the batteries with you and store them in lockers that are at the entrance of each park, it should be cooler than the car. You can't store the drone there because the lockers are located after you go through security.
Locker Rentals

I see you answered your own question.
Florida is a flat boring landscape, unfortunately. You can head out to the beaches or visit one of the many lakes or swamp areas. I see drone shots taken at Celebration located near to Disney.
This video will give you some idea of what you might see https://youtu.be/403fr856ANs

I see you answered your own question.
Florida is a flat boring landscape, unfortunately. You can head out to the beaches or visit one of the many lakes or swamp areas. I see drone shots taken at Celebration located near to Disney.
This video will give you some idea of what you might see https://youtu.be/403fr856ANs
Wow "this video has been removed..."

I really like my Mavic, but questions about DJI are why I'm going to start building my own from scratch. I just feel a serious lockdown coming and want to make sure that I have something, that I intend to use sanely and safely (I've never been over 400' or beyond VLOS, really) that isn't phoning home with whatever it feels it needs to send to China, or the feds, state, county, local PD, or my mom for that matter.

Interesting... wonder why? But I was able to see it before disappeared. Thx.
Probably got death threats from the self-appointed FAA police on YouTube. There's quite a large area designated as a TFR over that part of the state.

Honestly... The trunk stays cool. I think you said SUV though. If that's the case, look in the back where the spare tire is. That area stays cool.

Apologies for the video taken down, the meetup (mentioned in the video) was cancelled due to bad weather.
Here's another video

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ehj147