DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fluidity FT Aviator Feedback

I'm waiting and hoping for the ability to integrate my Moverio BT-300 glasses. Anyone hear anything on that potential?

I thinking you are looking for the BT-300 the the BT35Es is discussed five responses above yours on this page.
He might have some insight for the BT-300...

DigitalDoyle
"Hi All. Life got in the way, but I just got everything up and running at the same time using that tablet mentioned above and it does work! I have the M2 RC connected to the tablet, the tablet's hdmi out port connected to the Moviero BT35Es, and a usb-c cable connecting the BT35Es to the tablet to serve as the BT's power supply, (so I don't have to buy a separate one), and I can see the FT Aviator app in the BT35Es and can control the M2Z's gimbal with the front rocker on the FT Aviator! Woot! The display on the tablet is a little laggy, but I'm about to head out to the park and give it a test. I think it might be good enough until I can find a better solution. Will report back on results."

I find it interesting that some are willing to spend serious money on the smart controller to have a quicker setup with less stuff and some are willing to spend serious money and fabricate stuff to have an even more convoluted setup.

Different strokes for different folks.

Valid observation. Personally, I don't really see much of an advantage to using the FT Aviator for folks who fly mission and/or mostly freehand at significant distances. I think the Aviator's admittedly narrow niche is in applications where you want/need to capture very close up and smooth motion crane and dolly moves, which is exactly why I'm so driven to build my special-purpose rig. It will allow me, once I attain the skill and muscle memory to be proficient, to capture shots that would otherwise take nearly the same cost in crane/motor dolly control gear and additional manpower to get something equivalent. With this rig I should be able to quickly and easily get the shot I see in my head, and do it completely by myself.

I understand the wisdom of minimizing the rig in the vast majority of drone use situations. The one I'm working on will eventually be mostly 3D printed and fully modular and break down so everything fits in the smallest case I can make work to transport the entire rig.

Nice and comfortable looking.
One unrelated question; How did you mount the warning flag to your gimbal? I've been struggling with an effective way to that.
Annotation 2019-08-28 062322.jpg

Here are a few photos of the prototype in progress. The platform is currently .25" mdf, but will eventually be 3D printed ABS with device holders that will be modular, interlock, and be lightweight and stable.

Top of the Manfrotto tripod showing aluminum collar and the ball head disassembled:
20190825_181544_1080.jpg

Decided that a .125" thick aluminum plate would provide more than enough strength for the platform, without the need for gusset bracing underneath. Worked great:
20190825_181538_1080.jpg

Shots of the assembled prototype with the Aviator mounted. This rig keeps the platform stable and level, while allowing the freedom to easily set the Aviator at exactly the most comfortably neutral position so that both hands only concentrate on control rather than also support, and the stationary position provides stability and makes the acquisition of muscle memory quicker and more reliably repeatable. Exactly like learning a musical instrument:
20190825_183628_1080.jpg
20190825_183654_1080.jpg20190825_183706_1080.jpg

Will post R&D progress as I make it, and also links to the 3D STL files so that anybody that wants to can download and modify/print their own custom versions.

Reactions: Waldo Pepper
Always another way I guess! Next size down. The controller and screen I believe have to point the same direction for situational awareness display to be accurate I believe. I might be wrong. I prefer not to stick the controller handle in my pocket. This setup has two Handels. the left one makes the FT controller rock steady. unlike holding it in your hand when you bank and yaw. the FT is also installed on an angle that feels better on the hands. if you are right-handed your hand if facing to the left of you. so when you mount the controller straight. when you yew right there is no felt problem. but when you yew right your hand and wrist goes beyond the center. I am trying to do the best with what I have to work with.IMG_0750.jpgfile-8.jpeg
it also holds my Elf GPS for use with all my IPads I prefer the bigger screens Mini 4 and Pro 10.5. everything comes apart. just old stuff around the house. but it works for my pro and zoom and my older Mavics that I still love. I would love to see some others setup.file4.jpeg

Attachments

• file1-3.jpeg
    file1-3.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 15
  • file-7.jpeg
    file-7.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Very creative DW,

All self contained, impressive!

Paul

Always another way I guess! Next size down. The controller and screen I believe have to point the same direction for situational awareness display to be accurate I believe. I might be wrong. I prefer not to stick the controller handle in my pocket. This setup has two Handels. the left one makes the FT controller rock steady. unlike holding it in your hand when you bank and yaw. the FT is also installed on an angle that feels better on the hands. if you are right-handed your hand if facing to the left of you. so when you mount the controller straight. when you yew right there is no felt problem. but when you yew right your hand and wrist goes beyond the center. I am trying to do the best with what I have to work with.View attachment 80539
it also holds my Elf GPS for use with all my IPads I prefer the bigger screens Mini 4 and Pro 10.5. everything comes apart. just old junk around the house but it works for my pro and zoom and my older Mavics that I still love. I would love to see some others setup.View attachment 80537

I also have an FT Aviator, and love it. Got it late July, and I've been working like a mad dog the first half of August, so didn't get a chance to fly with it much - only 2 outings - then spent the last 2 weeks on vacation in Europe.

Now I'm back in the saddle so should be able to post more details and video soon ... but suffice it to say, I was VERY pleased with the controls. It really is super intuitive.

Reactions: DigitalDoyle
Nice setup. But for me, this goes against my desire to minimalize gear, hence why I bought a folding drone over a larger more capable unit. I fly landscapes and events, requiring a similar setup would preclude 90% of my flying.
Hi,
I feel the same way most of the time. I desire to minimalize gear more than most I think. Have 6 birds. Little overboard, I know. I also fly with the smart controller. great because it works with all my stuff. drone and the smart controller in a fly more bag small enough? problem is with me, I prefer a larger screen.I'll use the SM controller for the zoom but I prefer to use a larger screen for the pro. The truth is I like to fly all different ways. I fly in all-season just not in the rain. I built a few amped ground stations two screens. that took up some space. I used Mavmount, LiftThor and so on, with different screens sizes. and it all works good or OK. But I really prefer droning from in my car the most. 10.5 in screen mounted on the steering wheel right in front of me. and the only thing in my hands is the DJI controller itself. with a 3 ft USB cord to iPad. I take off and land on the roof of my car 2x2 ft landing pad. No sun, No bugs, No people. I also fly landscapes, race tracks, trains, rivers, ocean, lighthouses, wind surfers. I love where I am. at the shore, with so much, I can get to. I enjoy just flying as much as taking videos and photo. Been into RC for over 50 years and still love it. Smart RC just brought the rest of the world in.
Happy and Safe flying and stay light!

Super nice looking rig DW,

After viewing your self contained setup, dug up a busted Parrot SkyController 1 and hacksawed off right handle, next I’ll removed the innards and Mount a bracket to easy mount on/off FT Aviator handle. Mavic controller will mount behind tablet, I’ll post pictures when completed.

This is for grab and go flights, quick setup. Have the tripod for more relaxing flights.

Excellent job, outstanding Workmanship with your rig.

Paul

3327B184-545F-4608-B105-332C0542098F.jpeg

Always another way I guess! Next size down. The controller and screen I believe have to point the same direction for situational awareness display to be accurate I believe. I might be wrong. I prefer not to stick the controller handle in my pocket. This setup has two Handels. the left one makes the FT controller rock steady. unlike holding it in your hand when you bank and yaw. the FT is also installed on an angle that feels better on the hands. if you are right-handed your hand if facing to the left of you. so when you mount the controller straight. when you yew right there is no felt problem. but when you yew right your hand and wrist goes beyond the center. I am trying to do the best with what I have to work with.View attachment 80649View attachment 80538
it also holds my Elf GPS for use with all my IPads I prefer the bigger screens Mini 4 and Pro 10.5. everything comes apart. just old stuff around the house. but it works for my pro and zoom and my older Mavics that I still love. I would love to see some others setup.View attachment 80537

Super nice looking rig DW,

After viewing your self contained setup, dug up a busted Parrot SkyController 1 and hacksawed off right handle, next I’ll removed the innards and Mount a bracket to easy mount on/off FT Aviator handle. Mavic controller will mount behind tablet, I’ll post pictures when completed.

This is for grab and go flights, quick setup. Have the tripod for more relaxing flights.

Excellent job, outstanding Workmanship with your rig.

Paul

View attachment 80662
@ Paul,
I love to plant the seed and see where it goes. And it did not take long! A doer and it looks great. Now, all you have to do is to get all those other buttons on the left to work with DJI and FT. tilt, zoom, and so on. Just kidding but it would be something. Have you tried your new setup yet? for me, the game-changer was the other handel I install on the opposite side . The FT controller is just too tight for my liking. So I prefer a steadier platform/base to mount it on other than my left hand. I found the controller base rocks side to side in my hand. when doing side movements because the return spring is kind of stiff! I feel I am fighting against it all the time causing oversteer/ movement. I really like the feel of my set up now. I am even able to change the pitch/ angle of the other Handel. plus It can also be put on a tripod. Tho, I don't think I will be using that much. Maybe best used allowing a friend to try on the tripod to fly. Much more freedom without it. A little hint, I have spent a few hours testing with all my different Mavics amped and not. all different ways and mounting system to see what works the best with the smallest footprint. As is, is easy to carry because it's all contain. Or it can also be taken apart. Both handles can be taken off. I carry the whole thing by the left Handel. A though, Tho a neck strip even with padding works great. in time it will bug you the padding on your neck gets hot and clammy if you are in the sun. One tends to just let it hang there on the neck. It's ok for a few flights. But I found that a shoulders harness set up system works the best again for me. Not very pretty to look at for sure, but it is the best because the weight is balanced and distributed between both shoulders and not on the neck. I now use only the other type and I don't even feel it on me even with the other gear on.
So if you have not tried your new set up, try it and let me know. if it was worth your time? Did it change? Do you feel you get more physical control of the FT controller after the upgrade? Not just the base but the counterbalance Handel on the left side? Try flying once (without) touching or holding the left handel. Then try using both hands on the handels.
One last thing, I also made an add-on piece that attaches to the base. I don't like the screen right under my nose or too close to me or have to push the unit forward to get to that sweet spot and have to hold it there. I am lazy but like comfort and reliability. That attachment with rubber foam lay across my belt area. It pushes and holds the whole rig. screen, DJI and FT controllers and all of it out forward and away from me to where it needs to be without a thought.
When rigged correctly even without a tripod. ( One ) hand flying is possible! I can drink or even eat while flying with this setup without a tripod. Not that I ever would. OK, maybe a drink with a PAPER straw and that's only after I install a cup holder made from recyclable material right next to my solar power GPS.
I see people here either love or hate this item. I reserve my opinion on the controller itself until the first update. Hoping that it is sooner than later. software tweaking enhancing issues with updates would be great and no problem. but if it is hardware/design, Well, I don't think there will be a recall. Here is to them and I wish them well and can only hope they get it right in the end. I am just here to see what others are doing with their setup like yourself. I was looking for a contain rigs get more ideas from. Dam you, why did you have to show me a left handel with a joystick and all those bu---ttons? LOL

Safe Flying
file-10.jpegfile1-6.jpegfile-11.jpgIMG_0754.jpgIMG_0752.jpg

Hello DW,

Thanks and I completed the shoulder strap rid today, gutted out the older circuitry from the Sky Controller. I’ll test it out tomorrow, then work on my 3rd FT Aviator setup. I do have a tripod setup, I’ll eventually add the FT Handle to the tripod setup, it’s easier to control as I see you already noticed this from your recent pictures. It’s great knowing the FT Aviator handle can easily be removed and placed on another setup.

Nice pictures, you’re an artist. Hopefully others can learn from these pictures, I’m sure they will a lot of creative aviators on this forum.

Here’s today’s creation, I’ll test it out tomorrow.

Thanks Again DW,

Paul

D6E3E3A6-D9ED-47C4-99D3-28103CC699DC.jpegF4BFCD74-0ED1-468A-B1CA-70ADBA5780FA.jpeg0FF63D2C-8905-4B9F-B45C-55A12DFB9F75.jpeg

QUOTE="Don't Wanna, post: 817220, member: 16965"]
@ Paul,
I love to plant the seed and see where it goes. And it did not take long! A doer and it looks great. Now, all you have to do is to get all those other buttons on the left to work with DJI and FT. tilt, zoom, and so on. Just kidding but it would be something. Have you tried your new setup yet? for me, the game-changer was the other handel I install on the opposite side . The FT controller is just too tight for my liking. So I prefer a steadier platform/base to mount it on other than my left hand. I found the controller base rocks side to side in my hand. when doing side movements because the return spring is kind of stiff! I feel I am fighting against it all the time causing oversteer/ movement. I really like the feel of my set up now. I am even able to change the pitch/ angle of the other Handel. plus It can also be put on a tripod. Tho, I don't think I will be using that much. Maybe best used allowing a friend to try on the tripod to fly. Much more freedom without it. A little hint, I have spent a few hours testing with all my different Mavics amped and not. all different ways and mounting system to see what works the best with the smallest footprint. As is, is easy to carry because it's all contain. Or it can also be taken apart. Both handles can be taken off. I carry the whole thing by the left Handel. A though, Tho a neck strip even with padding works great. in time it will bug you the padding on your neck gets hot and clammy if you are in the sun. One tends to just let it hang there on the neck. It's ok for a few flights. But I found that a shoulders harness set up system works the best again for me. Not very pretty to look at for sure, but it is the best because the weight is balanced and distributed between both shoulders and not on the neck. I now use only the other type and I don't even feel it on me even with the other gear on.
So if you have not tried your new set up, try it and let me know. if it was worth your time? Did it change? Do you feel you get more physical control of the FT controller after the upgrade? Not just the base but the counterbalance Handel on the left side? Try flying once (without) touching or holding the left handel. Then try using both hands on the handels.
One last thing, I also made an add-on piece that attaches to the base. I don't like the screen right under my nose or too close to me or have to push the unit forward to get to that sweet spot and have to hold it there. I am lazy but like comfort and reliability. That attachment with rubber foam lay across my belt area. It pushes and holds the whole rig. screen, DJI and FT controllers and all of it out forward and away from me to where it needs to be without a thought.
When rigged correctly even without a tripod. ( One ) hand flying is possible! I can drink or even eat while flying with this setup without a tripod. Not that I ever would. OK, maybe a drink with a PAPER straw and that's only after I install a cup holder made from recyclable material right next to my solar power GPS.
I see people here either love or hate this item. I reserve my opinion on the controller itself until the first update. Hoping that it is sooner than later. software tweaking enhancing issues with updates would be great and no problem. but if it is hardware/design, Well, I don't think there will be a recall. Here is to them and I wish them well and can only hope they get it right in the end. I am just here to see what others are doing with their setup like yourself. I was looking for a contain rigs get more ideas from. Dam you, why did you have to show me a left handel with a joystick and all those bu---ttons? LOL

Safe Flying
View attachment 80680View attachment 80679View attachment 80681View attachment 80682View attachment 80683
[/QUOTE]

@ Paul.
Just saw the back/front of your rig. Remember you need to get to the DJI joystick themselves when the FT controller goes down. And it will, sorry to say. you might want to mount the DJI controller itself outward instead of up. so you can get to the sticks when needed. just to be on the safe side.. Just did another setup. From my car which is the way, I like to fly most of the time with just a stock DJI controller and a 3 ft USB cable to the 10.5-inch screen.until I got this. I can't believe they build a joystick holder in my car.file7.jpegcar-4.jpgcar-5.jpgcar-ft-s.jpg

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242