DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fly away case: Do you suggest me to sue DJI? Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.
"There is no sign of pilot error".
Nor was there any sign of electro-mechanical failure either.
Sometime, our hobbies and interests are expensive. Insurance is the only way but even then, you can pay several times the amount of a new bit of kit and never ever need the insurance.

Reactions: faceman
Here's a summary of this thread.

corgi.gif

Your comment is legit and totally agreeble.
I have a doubt though.
From the video and the flight record you can see the drone was hoovering in place. I was shooting a 360 view.
You can also see that the scenario is a waterfall in the jungle.
You can also clearly see there are no obstacles around the area. You can also see a river down below.
Stating that there is no pilot error that drone is right in front of me VSOL that no action triggered, could I please know why video interrupted and I saw a ready to fly on my app and the drone fell in the river?
If you have the log, the flight record and the video and moreover the GPS coordinates, that shows drone fell off in the river, how do I retrieve the AC? Shall I swim in the current ?
Why not 70% to me ?
This is your technology and if accurate the drone is in the water and there is no evidence of pilot error.
Why people keep saying that 30% discount?
Are we all becoming a bunch of corporate slaves?
I paid 1599€ for this device, for me a lot of money.
And it's not like a car or a phone. Here we know everything happening.
I am truly mad at DJI

From what you say it sounds like the DJI GO 4 app went back to home screen ( As it said ready to fly, it was at that time, connected to the drone) on your smart device. That sounds like operator error to me. What is your smart device iOS / android. If android what model?

You were traveling in a foreign country. Does that country have reserved bandwidth for commercial use in the 2.4 5.8 Ghz range?

Are you flying FCC or CE equipment. What are the regulations for the country you were in?

Did you have matching current FW and DJI Go 4 releases?

If you are traveling you must recalibrate the compass at each new location. Did you recalibrate the compass.

If you were near a river were there any commercial watercraft in the river at that time that were equipment with Radar?

While it may not be a Pilot error it could well be an operational error by the operator.

I can sympathise that you lost your drone and are upset. The real bottom line here though, in this hobby, "if you cant afford to lose your model then you cant afford to put it in the air".

Cheers

If DJI has a corporate office in your area. You can do a small claims naming The highest ranking official on the summons and they will have to appear they cannot send a representative if they do you win. The only satisfaction you will get is they will have to take a morning out of their day to go to court Good luck. This only works if you live in the US

I had the same issue with DJI. I was flying under perfect conditions, strong GPS, no wind, sunny and clear, no issues at all. I actually had the drone in VLOS, then all of a sudden I lost connection, i looked at tablet screen to see what the issues were, blank screen...so then i pushed RTH button. I looked up from controller to find the drone, visually and I could not locate it. the app showed the drone's last location, falling in the ocean 50 yards from shoreline.

I tried return RTH, no response. I tried find my drone and it simply showed off the coastline, so I assumed it was inappropriate watery grave for good. I looked for another hour or so and kept trying to reconnect but nothing.

I was on vacation in the outer banks, NC. When I returned I called and reported all this to DJI. I got the same deal the could not confirm hardware failure so I got the 30% off deal. I was pissed but what could I do.

Be sure to look at the 30% off deal they give you. Mine had a 30 day expiration date which I did not notice, they stayed in an email at the very end. I had to save up money to make the purchase on day 33 I tried and the coupon code had expired. I called bullshot loud enough and DJI finally caved after another month went by and I was finally able to get my replacement.

3 weeks later, a day before father's day I got a text from a vacation in OBX. She found my drone in a sand dune next to the rental property she was staying at. The same place we stayed at. So in hind sight the return to home worked. I got the original drone back and the final video that I got from SD card showed coming to home point and hovering. I never saw it or heard it (ocean noise is loud). It did take a wide flight pattern out away from the home point before returning though.

DJI did not want to have anything to do with the recovered drone unless I sent it back to them. I dont trust them and I am sending it to thunderdome for repairs as soon as the flying season is over with in Central, New York.

But I do have 2 drones now though!!!

Reactions: Underdog1964
Just remember if you sue them you will have to prove beyond 50% that there was a manufacturer error. And i think that is what DJI is saying that there is no proof that they are at fault. Only two crashes i have had were both my fault.

If you lived in the USA, it will cost you more to get a lawyer's attention than you could possibly recover.

It's hard to say what happened. We've all heard multiple reports about Mavics that do a fly away. I was was leery when I took my bird up the first time. Thus far, I have not had any problems. But next time? Who knows.

DJI has a very long history of unexplained fly-a-ways going way back to their stand-a-lone flight controllers. Ya pays ya money and takes ya chances I guess.

DJI has a very long history of unexplained fly-a-ways going way back to their stand-a-lone flight controllers. Ya pays ya money and takes ya chances I guess.

Actually there are very few documented unexplained flyaways within the last 2 or 3 years on this forum or on PP. In fact I can't recall any.

Completely agreed with you. The guy doesn't understand that in every drone accident and failures there is always the logs that can explain what happened to the aircraft.

Well that doesn't seem to be the case here does it. Why is DJI not concerned that the logging just ended. Isn't their design to make a log so this type of situation can be explained and understood. I would think they should replace the Mavic based on the log being incomplete as they are the ones that control that function via the firmware and software not the end user, right?

Just MHO of course....

I see. So my word, my time, my 2/3 of the holiday spent without drone worth nothing. Paying 1299€ cash does, correct ?

You are writing about logs and the user who commented you is writing about insurance. Great.

We are taking about latest technology which is supposed to be tracking everything.
Logs, flights records, can't established what happend after the video stopped and you blame me?
What about the GPS coordinates of the drone, clearly showing that it fell in the river?
Please tell me what I did wrong? Please give me a reason why I should have wanted to simulate something like this with a 1299€ drone. Please, give me a good reason to set it up.

This is a new commercial technology. You allow everyone to buy these drones. The commercial business is relatively new Vs cars or similar. Technology is advanced. So something crazy happens and you give 30% to the consumer?

So long term you will always back these guys because they produce the drone and they have the last word?

Pilot cancelled the RTH. It is your fault. Ok. I pay.

Pilot pushed drone over range and got lost. Ok your fault. I pay.

Drone falls from the sky with and unclear situation, no pilot error, coordinates state drone fell in a river. 30% off?

And most of you are agreeing with DJI or finding silly excuses. Corporation totally won your common sense guys.

I agree you have every right to be pissed at DJI. Especially, considering their firmware/software didn't do it's intended job by logging the entire flight. In the spirit of good customer relations DJI could have replaced the Mavic, the out of pocket $ to them would have had no impact on their companies bottom line and they would have made a supporter out of the buyer that lost his drone. Instead they have caused all sorts of people who will read what happened here to question a purchase of any DJI product.

Very short sighted on DJI's part. If the logs had been complete I wonder if DJI would have found a reason to not honor the warranty as well?

Does anyone here know of a fly-a-way case where DJI has stepped up to the plate and made it right for the buyer, I have never heard of one myself, so what does that day?

Well that doesn't seem to be the case here does it. Why is DJI not concerned that the logging just ended. Isn't their design to make a log so this type of situation can be explained and understood. I would think they should replace the Mavic based on the log being incomplete as they are the ones that control that function via the firmware and software not the end user, right?

Just MHO of course....

DJI may be very concerned that logging just ended. Unfortunately the most common causes are not hardware failure - the battery may have become dislodged or the RC lost connection with the mobile device. Both those stop the logging immediately, for obvious reasons.

Good afternoon,

I am feeling very disappointed about the DJI Supervisor decision of my case.

I was piloting my drone in Ecuador. No GPS, VLOS, great weather conditions. Not alert prompted on my rc, not disconnection issues, no RTH triggered. No obstacles on my way. Crystal clear sky.

I was shooting a footage and hovering on position just, 34m high and 20m away from home point. Everything seemed perfect and my idea was to bring the drone back soon after ending the footage.

All of sudden footage stopped and I got a "Ready to fly" alert on my mobile. When I lifted my eyes drone wasn't there any longer.

For some reason it fell off the sky.

These are the last coordinates:
-1.4017647 -78.2957640

I have checked the all area for hours and didn't manage to recover the aircraft. As you may see from the above coordinates in google maps, it ended up in the river. Still, i decided to give a chance around the latest gps point considering also that it was hovering in place so it was accurate enough. Nothing.

I wrote DJI and explained everything to them, confident that not being a pilot error and not having done anything wrong, this would have been certainly a fly away case, with some malfunctioning error not depending among the consumer.

I was totally wrong, as the outcome left me speechless and very disappointed. 30% off for the next purchase.

This is what the supervisor wrote:

have begun by looking into your case and, logically, your analysis conclusion. I will share it below for both our convenience and reminder of what we are talking about.

“Fly051 Date and time of the flight: Jul 13, 2018 at 06:12 UTC+8.

1. The aircraft was piloted under GPS mode after took off, and responded to the pilot's control well; The home point coordinate: -1.4017647 -78.2957640

2. T=05:05, H=34m, D=18.7m, Battery 30%, the flight record ended and the last recorded coordinate: -1.4019035 -78.2956881

3. From the view of the Google Earth, there is no obvious obstacles at that height between the last point and the home point and the collision would not happen during failsafe RTH. (RTH height: 50m)

Conclusion: Interrupted flight records on the app without possible collisions. Inconclusive.”

As you can see we could not discover what happened to your aircraft. This is not because we do not understand a certain phenomenon, but because information is literally missing. Your record seems to have cut off, for reasons that could not be discerned.

There are multiple potential reasons, but not all of them are a manufacturers error, actually.

Because we do not know what cut off your record, and due to that it also keeping your actual accident reason in this veil of secrecy, we can’t provide you with a full warranty service.

We need to know that the issue that has caused your aircraft to experience its incident has indeed suffered a manufacturers error, but we can’t determine that at this point, not from the data we have. Having the drone itself would surely help a lot, if possible.

Because we understand situations like these are sensitive and we do sympathize we offer a 30% discount on a replacement. It sounds wry, and I understand that, but it’s better than the outright denial of warranty which would otherwise happen. I hope you understand that.

If you have any other questions I will be happy to assist you further.

Kind Regards,"

I think this is very unfair as the flight record clearly states the drone didn't come back home. Why didn't the RTH triggered ? Why don't I have a landing message?

What do you suggest me to do?

Thanks
Good afternoon,

I was piloting my drone in Ecuador. No GPS, VLOS, great weather conditions. Not alert prompted on my rc, not disconnection issues, no RTH triggered. No obstacles on my way. Crystal clear sky.

I was shooting a footage and hovering on position just, 34m high and 20m away from home point. Everything seemed perfect and my idea was to bring the drone back soon after ending the footage.

All of sudden footage stopped and I got a "Ready to fly" alert on my mobile. When I lifted my eyes drone wasn't there any longer.

-1.4017647 -78.2957640

I have checked the all area for hours and didn't manage to recover the aircraft. As you may see from the above coordinates in google maps, it ended up in the river. Still, i decided to give a chance around the latest gps point considering also that it was hovering in place so it was accurate enough. Nothing.

I wrote DJI and explained everything to them, confident that not being a pilot error and not having done anything wrong, this would have been certainly a fly away case, with some malfunctioning error not depending among the consumer.

I was totally wrong, as the outcome left me speechless and very disappointed. 30% off for the next purchase.

have begun by looking into your case and, logically, your analysis conclusion. I will share it below for both our convenience and reminder of what we are talking about.

1. The aircraft was piloted under GPS mode after took off, and responded to the pilot's control well; The home point coordinate: -1.4017647 -78.2957640

2. T=05:05, H=34m, D=18.7m, Battery 30%, the flight record ended and the last recorded coordinate: -1.4019035 -78.2956881

3. From the view of the Google Earth, there is no obvious obstacles at that height between the last point and the home point and the collision would not happen during failsafe RTH. (RTH height: 50m)

Conclusion: Interrupted flight records on the app without possible collisions. Inconclusive.”

As you can see we could not discover what happened to your aircraft. This is not because we do not understand a certain phenomenon, but because information is literally missing. Your record seems to have cut off, for reasons that could not be discerned.

There are multiple potential reasons, but not all of them are a manufacturers error, actually.

Because we do not know what cut off your record, and due to that it also keeping your actual accident reason in this veil of secrecy, we can’t provide you with a full warranty service.

We need to know that the issue that has caused your aircraft to experience its incident has indeed suffered a manufacturers error, but we can’t determine that at this point, not from the data we have. Having the drone itself would surely help a lot, if possible.

Because we understand situations like these are sensitive and we do sympathize we offer a 30% discount on a replacement. It sounds wry, and I understand that, but it’s better than the outright denial of warranty which would otherwise happen. I hope you understand that.

Kind Regards,"

I think this is very unfair as the flight record clearly states the drone didn't come back home. Why didn't the RTH triggered ? Why don't I have a landing message?

Thanks
Good afternoon,

-1.4017647 -78.2957640

Kind Regards,"

Thanks
If you lived in the USA, it will cost you more to get a lawyer's attention than you could possibly recover.

It's hard to say what happened. We've all heard multiple reports about Mavics that do a fly away. I was was leery when I took my bird up the first time. Thus far, I have not had any problems. But next time? Who knows.
Good afternoon,

-1.4017647 -78.2957640

Kind Regards,"

Thanks
Good afternoon,

You

-1.4017647 -78.2957640

Kind Regards,"

Thanks

There is another log, in the RC, in the AC (gone) and the one submitted already, from the device.
If the log abrubtly ends, then DJI cannot determine cause. There is no evidence to prove failure of the AC. There is no evidence of Pilot error.
There is no evidence at all except the word of the operator....
I dont see what is so hard to understand here...

The question is who can better afford the lost, a consumer or a "multi-billion dollar" company. What every happened to " the customer is always right" attitude? If there were complete logs and it was clear the pilot screwed up then fine. But in the case, once again, the cause can't be determined because DJI's product failed to complete the log of the flight so why is the consumer left holding the bag. DJI owns the majority of the responsibility for the loss of this AC because the logging stopped for some unknown reason.

Shame on DJI!

Last edited:
Good afternoon,

-1.4017647 -78.2957640

Kind Regards,"

Thanks
Next time, skip the DJI Care and check out State Farm. I have a $1000 policy specific for the drone, with no deductable. Have not had to use it yet, but supposedly the policy covers any loss even it it flys off into the sunset never to be seen again.

The question is who can better afford the lost, a consumer or a "multi-billion dollar" company. What every happened to " the customer is always right" attitude? If there were complete logs and it was clear the pilot screwed up then fine. But in the case, once again, the cause can't be determined because DJI's product failed to complete the log of the flight so why is the consumer left holding the bag. DJI owns the majority of the responsibility for the loss of this AC because the logging stopped for some unknown reason.

Shame on DJI!

Since when did business best practice depend on "who can better afford the loss?

not understanding that DJI is a consumer driven company with a great product

in a corner of a market, from a country with practices that do not align with a western idea of what a 'customer service experience' is

in all truth yes, they should be 'more willing' to offer replacements for uncertain situations, this is a culture of business you CHOOSE to be complacent in.

so, if something goes wrong with your DJI product (and I personally feel bad for the guys who bought inspire who have these similar stories) understand when the time comes you are dealing with a culture of customer service that uses data to claim its liablity, not your 'experience'

hence a 'customer service experience'

Your comment is legit and totally agreeble.
I have a doubt though.
From the video and the flight record you can see the drone was hoovering in place. I was shooting a 360 view.
You can also see that the scenario is a waterfall in the jungle.
You can also clearly see there are no obstacles around the area. You can also see a river down below.
Stating that there is no pilot error that drone is right in front of me VSOL that no action triggered, could I please know why video interrupted and I saw a ready to fly on my app and the drone fell in the river?
If you have the log, the flight record and the video and moreover the GPS coordinates, that shows drone fell off in the river, how do I retrieve the AC? Shall I swim in the current ?
Why not 70% to me ?
This is your technology and if accurate the drone is in the water and there is no evidence of pilot error.
Why people keep saying that 30% discount?
Are we all becoming a bunch of corporate slaves?
I paid 1599€ for this device, for me a lot of money.
And it's not like a car or a phone. Here we know everything happening.
I am truly mad at DJI
your truly upset but not so that your comments should gets skewed,first you said 1299 for the drone,now you say 1599?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman