DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fly away immediately at launch

amazing! weren't you worried about it landing on your head as it dropped from the sky at 800 meters!? did you have the gimbal facing downwards when you recorded its descent? would be amazing footage to see.

I am glad you still have your drone. But just for the future, a hard landing will be enough to some times jar things loose. Pilots have often experienced ESC errors after a hard landing. Problems after a crash, don't always present themselves. It may take time for that wiring that has jarred loose during the crash to finally tear,r form the motor to be affected by that small piece of broken plastic or what ever.
Each of the four motors has a ESC assigned to it, For example: if the pilot increases the height of the drone by pressing up on the left stick, more voltage is evenly sent through each of the four ESC's which in turn speeds up the motors increasing the height of the drone. If you get a message that says, ESC Error, good to find out what is causing errors. Just recently crashed mine, not from such a height, about 10 feet of the ground at night. Tried night flying, did not turn out well.

This thread has illuminated the complexity of the mavic mini, which I have. First thing I noticed was the lack of useful information in the mavic mini manual. my experience has been in fixed wing aircraft, mainly the 737 and those manuals gave loads of systems information and the maintenance manuals gave even more information about the nuts and bolts which I think are vital for safe operation of the aircraft.

I think the same should be available for the mavic mini and other drones.

so, my question is, are there any good recommendations for books or links where such information is collected? Thus far all I’ve been able to do is dig around google searches for IMUs, ESCs, batteries etc but I still have loads of unanswered questions and this thread shows that there is a huge iceberg of information beneath the surface which should be required to be more easily available. I’ve enrolled in a not inexpensive online course for a commercial permission “licence” for UAs and it barely scratches the surface. And even when I have sent them questions they either ignore them or give short sharp replies at times implying that I should have purchased a more expensive model.

any links, book titles etc would be appreciated.

i can attest to the mavic mini being a tough little drone. I was playing around in sport mode and flew into a tree, branches apparently, at full speed and it disappeared. I saw grass on the camera display. When I finally found it, (which was not possible on the iPad mini, maybe since I do not have a SIM card type, so I connected to my Samsung phone, which, unlike any Apple device, drains power from the controller) there was only a little scuffing on one pair of props. It has operated fine for several flights after that.

Last edited:
If you can catch a drone from over 800 meters, I’m sure you’ll figure out how to download the flight-log! Even better, send us the video & pics!

Glad you got it back safe and sound; I’d be interested to see what DJi say about this

it felt like three minutes. In reality I have no clue how long. I did start recording and haven’t reviewed the footage yet.

I know it was extremely high and it never stopped going up. My app kept saying you’re breaking laws being this high, but never stopped ascending. Finally after realizing my refresh plan was null and void without the actual drone in hand, I remembered how to kill the rotors. It could have been much less, I say 3 minutes cause that’s when my controller showed no connection, I’m assuming it lost connection upon impact with the ground.
The footage should give me an idea of how long the fall was once the rotors were killed.
I know how easy it is to lose track of time. When £500 is flying away uncontrollably one minute feels like 10. ?

Reactions: CamFlyerCH
This thread has illuminated the complexity of the mavic mini, which I have. First thing I noticed was the lack of useful information in the mavic mini manual. my experience has been in fixed wing aircraft, mainly the 737 and those manuals gave loads of systems information and the maintenance manuals gave even more information about the nuts and bolts which I think are vital for safe operation of the aircraft.

so, my question is, are there any good recommendations for books or links where such information is collected? Thus far all I’ve been able to do is dig around google searches for IMUs, ESCs, batteries etc but I still have loads of unanswered questions and this thread shows that there is a huge iceberg of information beneath the surface which should be required to be more easily available. I’ve enrolled in a not inexpensive online course for a commercial permission “licence” for UAs and it barely scratches the surface. And even when I have sent them questions they either ignore them or give short sharp replies at times implying that I should have purchased a more expensive model.

i can attest to the mavic mini being a tough little drone. I was playing around in sport mode and flew into a tree, branches apparently, at full speed and it disappeared. I saw grass on the camera display. When I finally found it, (which was not possible on the iPad mini, maybe since I do not have a SIM card type, so I connected to my Samsung phone, which, unlike any Apple device, drains power from the controller) there was only a little scuffing on one pair of props. It has operated fine for several flights after that.
You have those resources for full scale, manned aircraft because it has been mandated by regulations. You will never see that level of detail from the manufacturers until the (FAA, CAA, etc.) require it to be available for the owner/pilot. Right now they guard that information because it would be so easy for DIY people to copy the hardware build.

I've seen vids where people killed the rotors and then did a restart before it hit the ground. Takes little bit of luck though....lol.
Can you provide links for any MM '1's please? I have done it with a Phantom 3 and I have seen one with a Mavic or Mavic 2 but have yet to find one with a MM.

Last edited by a moderator:
You have those resources for full scale, manned aircraft because it has been mandated by regulations. You will never see that level of detail from the manufacturers until the (FAA, CAA, etc.) require it to be available for the owner/pilot. Right now they guard that information because it would be so easy for DIY people to copy the hardware build.
I understand some of that, but any recommended links or books would be greatly appreciated. cheers.

I understand some of that, but any recommended links or books would be greatly appreciated. cheers.
The Mavic Mini is still new enough that getting any in-depth information on its hardware will be a tough go. Members that are drone repair techs may have some info (IMU type, accelerometers, GPS chip, magnetometer, etc.) thus allowing you to search for more specific information.

If you can catch a drone from over 800 meters, I’m sure you’ll figure out how to download the flight-log! Even better, send us the video & pics!

Glad you got it back safe and sound; I’d be interested to see what DJi say about this
The video is on Page 2

Reactions: Otisangb

You might try a search for MM2 Teardowns.
I've seen a few for the MM1,

I know how easy it is to lose track of time. When £500 is flying away uncontrollably one minute feels like 10. ?
You summarized my feelings in two sentences. I’m fortunate I did a ton of reading up on this bugger. I didn’t remember there was an emergency shutoff until about 700 meter up. Took me 100 meters to remember the joystick commands to make it happen.
Thank goodness for the refresh plan - which I didn’t need either way. I had talked myself out of the plan at first. I had literally bought the refresh plan less than 24 hours prior to the long free fall.

I can’t stress enough how literal I mean “not a single scratch”

there wasn’t the slightest abrasion on the thing. Amazing.

You summarized my feelings in two sentences. I’m fortunate I did a ton of reading up on this bugger. I didn’t remember there was an emergency shutoff until about 700 meter up. Took me 100 meters to remember the joystick commands to make it happen.
Thank goodness for the refresh plan - which I didn’t need either way. I had talked myself out of the plan at first. I had literally bought the refresh plan less than 24 hours prior to the long free fall.

I can’t stress enough how literal I mean “not a single scratch”

there wasn’t the slightest abrasion on the thing. Amazing.

my guess is it landed on a thin branch which absorbed the energy while bending or something. Anyway great thinking on killing the rotors!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mrose