DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fly away immediately at launch

Ahh you might need to use the I tunes thing, HOW TO: Retrieve DJI Phantom Flight Logs from an Apple Device | Phantom Help

I think Meta4 will need the DAT file which should be in the MCDatFlightRecords folder. From what I can see the text file your flight went bananas and reached 964m at its highest. I think you did stop the motors because the data seems to stop at that height and if memory serves me correctly the txt flight logs is recorded only whilst the motors are running. Likewise the DAT file is recorded from drone power on to power off.
After some googling I found that same article.
I got the log and posted it on here ?

yeah I killed them cause it was veering way off towards wooded area that would be impossible to get into. I did have to go through the woods to get it, but I found it. At that point I was only concerned with getting a broke drone and finding it. I considered letting it do it’s thing and go dead, but I didn’t.

I’ll see if I can get the other file.

After looking, the MCDatFlightRecords is within the FlightRecords folder, however the folder is empty. The only thing I can seem to find are the text files within the FlightRecords folder.

Here are the other folders available though.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    64.5 KB · Views: 78
Dar n, can you do a search for ".DAT"? I don't know if an Iphone permits that.
There is a slim chance that there might be a suitable or partial DAT file on the mSD card, have a look at post #13 in LOGs inside the SD card - I WANT TO KNOW
Yep theres nothing on the SD card, except the whole recording of it free falling and me finding it.

The SD card only has a couple of videos on it. I did enable View->Hidden Files with no luck. So thats everything. I do think it might be because I didn't allow it to find enough GPS satellites when I launched earlier. I just took off.

Still cant believe that thing fell over half a mile and I don't even have to replace a single blade.

Just... Wow.

Attachments

• 11.PNG
    11.PNG
    73.6 KB · Views: 90
  • 12.PNG
    12.PNG
    83.6 KB · Views: 90
That is a heck of a drop! Kudos to DJI for durability. If they are going to fall from the sky at least they tried to make them tough enough to take the fall. It will be interesting to see what the stick logs say in relation to the flight logs. Maybe it was a stick but I think it may be DJI's issue in the end.

That is a heck of a drop! Kudos to DJI for durability. If they are going to fall from the sky at least they tried to make them tough enough to take the fall. It will be interesting to see what the stick logs say in relation to the flight logs. Maybe it was a stick but I think it may be DJI's issue in the end.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but if you don’t have the broken drone in hand, you can’t file a claim can you?

Could you try a file search on the phone for FLY0, that is FLY and the number zero, or FLY032?

Could you try a file search on the phone for FLY0, that is FLY and the number zero, or FLY032?
No Luck

Here's a link to my flight records folder. I originally made a zip file of everything, however it was too large to upload through the website.

I launched from the same usual spot I normally launch from - directly in front of our house. We live in a very grassy area so I launch from the palm of my hand. Once it took off... it was gone. All controls worked with the exception of the down control on the left stick.
Your flight data is showing something unusual and not the usual yaw error situation at all.
I can see why you thought it was 800 feet up (but I doubt it really was).
There's a lot of false data in the flight record.
The battery data shows one cell impossibly low and two are impossibly high.

It does look like the drone shot up vertically but the altitude data is screwy too.
It hasn't zero-ed at the start and is showing -128 ft.
As it rockets upwards, it's climbing at an indicated 5.7 metres/sec but the Velocity Z data shows numbers between -1 and +1 m/s.

Immediately it had good GPS and recorded a home point, it entered Autoland, but kept shooting upwards.
At 1:51.2, RTH was initiated, but it kept climbing.
It showed no respect for the 500 metre altitude limit and continued upwards although the Flight Mode showed Autoland.
The flight data ends at 6:55.6 with the altitude indicated as 963 metres (3160 feet) !!!
What the actual altitude was is unclear, but it will have been high.
The whole flight is upwards and within a small distance of the launch point.
Changing flight mode or moving the throttle made no difference to the climbing.
The data also indicates that the drone realised it was beyond the height limit.

Looking a litle further into the data, suggests that there are false values for the height indicated by the downward facing sensors.
They start showing zero , jump to 2.3 metresand come down to 1 metre in just a second and stay showing 1 metre for the rest of the flight.

This might be related to the cause of the incident, but there might be more as well.

The throttle was showing when you pulled it down but the drone just ignored it.
The incident was not caused by obstacle avoidance, as the drone kept climbing when the drone faced in different directions.

I'd definitely advise recalibrating the IMU on a lavel surface and seeing if the altitude starts at zero next time.
And make sure there's nothing blocking the downward facing sensors.

Thanks!

that RTH was me. I immediately updated my home point and attempted to initiate it a couple of times. It just ignored me.
I appreciate your insight. Very informative!

to answer a previous question on here. I finally watched the entire free fall video.
Roughly 1:15 seconds of free fall.

Reactions: itsneedtokno
The flight log files are DJIFlightRecord_2020-10-31_[16-31-07].txt and DJIFlightRecord_2020-10-31_[16-40-13].txt. The take off is recorded in the first one and the kill-motor action in the second one.

The drone for some reason entered autolanding mode at 28.3 sec into the flight. Did you press the autolanding button ? may be unintentionally ?

Then the drone just kept going up, up, up. The GPS data confirmed that ( ImuCalcs:VelD in the graph ). The height info on the app showed the same ( General:height in the graph ).

However, the IMU told the flight controller that the craft was going down ( General:zSpeed in the graph ) at a speed of 2.1 m/s and it appears that the flight controller only took that piece of info and ignored the rest. As a desending speed of 2.1 m/s is too high for landing, the flight controller tried to slow it down by increasing the motor speed. As the result, the drone went up continuously.

The 500m ceiling was ignored probably because the flight controller was confused by the wrong info on the vertical speed. Perhaps @BudWalker can add more

Faulty IMU is likely the reason behind the odd behavior, unfortunately the .DAT file is not available to confirm that.

View attachment 116273

Last edited:
The flight log files are DJIFlightRecord_2020-10-31_[16-31-07].txt and DJIFlightRecord_2020-10-31_[16-40-13].txt. The take off is recorded in the first one and the kill-motor action in the second one.

The drone for some reason entered autolanding mode at 28.3 sec into the flight. Did you press the autolanding button ? may be unintentionally ?

Then the drone just keep going up, up, up. The GPS data confirmed that ( ImuCalcs:posD and ImuCalcs:VelD in the graph ). The height info on the app showed the same ( General:height in the graph ).

However, the IMU output told the flight controller that the craft was going down ( General:zSpeed in the graph ) at a speed of 2.1 m/s. It appears that the flight controller only took that piece of info. As a desending speed of 2.1 m/s is too high for auto landing, the flight controller tried to slow it down by increase the motor speed. As the result, the drone went up continuously.

The 500m ceiling was ignored probably because the flight controller was confused by the wrong info on the vertical speed. Perhaps @BudWalker can add more

View attachment 116273
I pushed it because it was unresponsive to the controls. I thought maybe it would return home with the RTH button.

Reactions: uavstudmuffin
Wizard stuff boblui.

Do you think it might be an idea for TechieBrad89 to contact DJI about this, not specifically with regards to a claim etc. but to see if their tech department would be interested in the data for analysis?
Do you think it might be an idea for TechieBrad89 to tether the next outdoor flight or is this a one of fluke?

TechieBrad89 what did it land in or on and did it come down through 'soft' trees etc. that would/could have cushioned the fall?
Could you also confirm what the response mode to a CSC was set to? Either "Emergency Only" or "Anytime" (bottom of page 32 in the manual)
Do you by any chance sync the fly app with DJI?
I am wondering about .DAT Files Being Deleted.

I have sent you a PM.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: itsneedtokno
Do you think it might be an idea for TechieBrad89 to contact DJI about this, not specifically with regards to a claim etc. but to see if their tech department would be interested in the data for analysis?
Do you think it might be an idea for TechieBrad89 to tether the next outdoor flight or is this a one of fluke?

That will certainly be interesting but DJI probably will ask for the craft because the .DAT file is inside.

The problem may be caused by the IMU getting stuck for some reasons. The fall may have free it up and fixed it.

So I took off...... that’s all she wrote.
Immediately after take off it shot up, and up, and up, and up....

past it’s safety limit, until finally my controller lost connection. I could use all the controls on my controller, except the down stick for altitude.

Did it land on a pillow!!!!! That's amazing it didn't smash into hundreds of pieces.

From memory the DAT's can be downloaded using the assistant? I realise they can not be read by 'us' but it might save the drone being sent in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: boblui
@TechieBrad89 did you have any accessories installed on your drone?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31