DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

.DAT Files Being Deleted.

grahamjohnson10

Reactions
I'm super pissed off with DJI deleting the .DAT files from the MCDatFlightRecords folder once the DJI Fly app has synced with the flight logs.

There are loads of posts about uncommanded assent and descent but nearly all the OP have an empty MCDatRecords folder.

Now the hell are we meant to help these poor people without the .DAT file.

I have disabled the autosync so I get to keep my .DAT files.

You have disabled AutoSync, If you manualy sync will they still be deleted?
Or you need to save them before you sync?

iOS and Android are the same for these files being deleted?

Rod

You have disabled AutoSync, If you manualy sync will they still be deleted?
Or you need to save them before you sync?

iOS and Android are the same for these files being deleted?

Rod
In the current version of DJI Fly app you can only enable or disable the flight logs sync.

Save the files first because once you sync they will be deleted.

AFAIK both IOS & Android behave the same.

At first I had auto sync enabled because I loved being able to review my flights in airdata, but airdata really only showed what I already knew.

If something should go wrong the txt file is not much help but the DAT file holds a lot more information that might lead you or someone, who knows how to interpret the information.

Wow - thank you... I had no idea the missing .DATs had to do with auto-sync.
Here I am installing old versions of DJI Go...
For as incredible of a technological marvel DJI has managed to achieve, decisions like this sure leave me scratching my head sometimes....

On the iPhone I am looking into using Shortcuts (Apple) and a Personal Automation to automatically copy all the .DAT files from the MCDatFlightRecords folder into another folder, when exiting DJI Fly. I haven't worked out the process yet, but it seems to me that this would save the .DAT files as long as the syncing process does not run before the 'shortcut' does...

On the iPhone I am looking into using Shortcuts (Apple) and a Personal Automation to automatically copy all the .DAT files from the MCDatFlightRecords folder into another folder, when exiting DJI Fly. I haven't worked out the process yet, but it seems to me that this would save the .DAT files as long as the syncing process does not run before the 'shortcut' does...

Good idea, and good luck. ;)

I'm assuming another folder on the iPhone?

Then you would still need to copy from the new folder to the computer?
But you would have a backup!!!

I like the crApple mobile device until you want to use them as an Android. ;)

Let us know, when we can get the app at the app store. :)

Seems like it could be done on a Android?

GOOD LUCK!!

Rod

That will work fine . I do it manually now but wonder why do I want to sync anyway ?

@Mrveronn,
Are you getting anywhere?

Would like to see you succeed!!

Rod
Thank you for the 'heads up' warning...without that I would have approached the task with positive expectations and been really disappointed. Instead I approached it with trepidation and was ready to manage my frustration. I have been able to setup a manual process to prompt me to copy all the .DAT files following a flying session. I have been unable to automate this process, but haven't give up, and continue to nibble away at the problem (programming) as time and blood pressure allows. I will share my results when I have worked out the bugs.

Reactions: Bbarr and RodPad
That will work fine . I do it manually now but wonder why do I want to sync anyway ?
Good question, because DJI on P2s, P3s they would sync your flight log (the .txt) files and give your flight history, etc.

If I understand this the .dat files were added with more information starting with the P4, but the .txt files are still there.

So, I now ask a new question.
Is only the Mini that the .dat files are automatically removed from your mobile device?

Rod

Good question, because DJI on P2s, P3s they would sync your flight log (the .txt) files and give your flight history, etc.

If I understand this the .dat files were added with more information starting with the P4, but the .txt files are still there.

Is only the Mini that the .dat files are automatically removed from your mobile device?

Rod
Inquiring minds ...

Reactions: RodPad

Rod

It's the DJI Fly app.

Just to clarify, is it only the DJI Fly app? or does this apply at all also to DJI Go 4 app ?

Asking as I now have a real need for these missing *FLY*DAT files but they are no where to be found on my mobile device (iPad), and having now lost my drone i am wondering what causes them to be missing (or how to disable auto-sync in the future).

The cause for me turned out to be because I also flew with Litchi and did not have DJI Go 4 set to the default app. (would just choose to "open once" every time)
When set as the default application in my Android device, .dat files were recorded again.

After a flight I immediately close my DJI Fly app. Then I run a Shortcut that auto-launches the "Files" app which remembers the last folder you were in. In my case it was the "MCDatFlightRecords".
In there, I can save the latest DAT file to a dropbox folder which then puts it on my computer.

Because the "Files" app auto-launches when I run my "finished flight" shortcut, I always remember to save it to dropbox. Then if I want to upload to AirData, I just have to go back into DJI fly and sync my logs.

Seems to work ok, but I'm all ears for an even more streamlined solution.

Reactions: ff22
After a flight I immediately close my DJI Fly app. Then I run a Shortcut that auto-launches the "Files" app which remembers the last folder you were in. In my case it was the "MCDatFlightRecords".
In there, I can save the latest DAT file to a dropbox folder which then puts it on my computer.

That's a cool workflow for sure, but I'm using the DJI Go 4 app and trying to figure if this warning about auto-sync also applies to DJI Go 4 as being the reason i'm missing my *FLY*DAT files, now that i'm in real need of one.

I located the MCDatFlightRecords directory on my iPad, but it's frustrating that it's entirely empty, and i can't see a way to disable this auto-syncing functionality i see being blamed with DJI Fly app (which isn't what i'm using). I've manually sync'd but it was empty even before i did that..

That's a cool workflow for sure, but I'm using the DJI Go 4 app and trying to figure if this warning about auto-sync also applies to DJI Go 4 as being the reason i'm missing my *FLY*DAT files, now that i'm in real need of one.

I located the MCDatFlightRecords directory on my iPad, but it's frustrating that it's entirely empty, and i can't see a way to disable this auto-syncing functionality i see being blamed with DJI Fly app (which isn't what i'm using). I've manually sync'd but it was empty even before i did that..

I don't think that the GO 4 app has auto-sync capability - just the manual sync button. The Android version has a settings button that isn't in the iOS version, but that just allows you to select the time period for which records are cached when syncing.

But syncing does appear to delete the DAT files.

General question. Why not just backup/copy DAT and txt files to a computer or external hard crive?

Last edited by a moderator:
General question. Why not just backup/copy DAT and txt files to a computer or external hard crive?

If one has them in the first place or is able to catch them before they're wiped..

I don't think that the GO 4 app has auto-sync capability - just the manual sync button. The Android version has a settings button that isn't in the iOS version, but that just allows you to select the time period for which records are cached when syncing.

But syncing does appear to delete the DAT files.

Indeed i'm starting to suspect (as you alluded to in another thread) this is NOT DJI Go 4 specific afterall.

I also checked an IOS backup of my iPad prior to manually syncing and no *FLY*DAT files were created/made there either. Curiously, i did see a file named ".DJIFlightRecordDeletListeba05eb517375032" (the dot usually significes it's a hidden file), it's contents was just an ASCII single-line CSV-type file of .txt files (no line terminator either).

The mystery of the empty MCDatFlightRecords drectory/missing App-.DAT files continues... :-/

" If one has them in the first place or is able to catch them before they're wiped.. " indeed, but if you get into the habit of doing it then a future wipe is of no consequence

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom