DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Fly between coordinates?

faceplant

Reactions
My buddy bought some land. He was asking me if I could fly from one property marker to another. It's 400 meters long heavily treed. He'd like to put flagging tape along his property line. There is no cell signal in this area.
Is there a way to do this with an app?
Thanks

Are trying to fly through the trees or above them? If you're going through the trees OA would be going nuts. Another issue would be that GPS is not entirely accurate nor repeatable. When I re-fly patterns on different days the drone may be 5' or more off the original course which may or may not be the course I entered off the map (I use Drone Harmony). So, if you set the coordinates manually from a map, those may not turn out to be exactly where you wanted them in the real world.

Not trying to fly through the trees. Even if I could input the coordinates onto a map, and manually fly the drone slowly above the trees as I fly as straight as I can from A to B, we could walk beneath it and mark the property line.
I'm not sure how heavily treed it is. If I don't have a clear take off and landing spot and great gps signal I won't even attempt it.

Check out the Litchi app, which has a great waypoint flight mode that would allow you to preprogram the flight route. You can even login to the Litchi Hub website to refine your waypoints on a map.

Reactions: MadValley
Here is a video I just created to show you how Lichti can be used for a project like this.

I will give a brief overview of what I am doing in the video.

My goal is to plan a mission that flys my Mavic right along a sidewalk that is next to a local school and down the street maintaining the perfect line right next to the sidewalk.

I first open the online web page that Lichti makes available to preplan flights known as "missions".
Then I click in the lower left hand corner on New to create a new mission.
Then I just click on the map kinda close to where I want my first waypoint to be set.
Notice that the way point is not perfectly positioned right above the edge of the sidewalk. Its off a little. No worries!
Then there is a dialoge box that is presented to the right that has alot of values within it. The upper two relate to the Latitude and Longitude
Since I want the first waypoint to be closer to the edge of the sidewalk I click in the Latitude box directly and remove everything while leaving 39.16 I then enter a 2 that replaces the 1. So the Latitude becomes 39.162
When I press enter then the waypoint shifts upwards and aligns itself with the edge of the sidewalk. Then its just a matter of clicking on down the street to add more waypoints on the Longitude ( I intentionally click off the straight line as I know I can just bring it back to be straight) and not worrying about the position too much on the Latitude as I just click in the box for Latitude and adjust it to be 39.162 and it gives me a perfectly straight flight path that flys along the sidewalk.

There are all kinds of other things that one can adjust like - hard 90 degree turns or radius-ed turns position of the gimbal/camera in relation to a point of interest. etc.

Here is the example video

Lichti is a paid app so choose your platform carefully. If you fly mostly with Android devices get that variant. Likewise with iOs. Each platform is charged independently as the author of the program developed two separate versions.

If you do go with Lichti then there is a member developed tool that will allow one to visually fly Lichti planned missions in Google Earth Pro. Its nice to be able to view the flight before actually putting the bird in the air.

My buddy bought some land. He was asking me if I could fly from one property marker to another. It's 400 meters long heavily treed. He'd like to put flagging tape along his property line. There is no cell signal in this area.
Is there a way to do this with an app?
Thanks
Checkout www.dronedeploy.com (free)You can pre-define an aerial photo session for large areas can be used for Mapping. You send the drone off on an autonomous mission to map out the area from about 300 ft.

I would think it easier to just walk the line with a phone that has GPS and use that to place break crumb markers. There are several apps that display a trace of your devices route just like DJI does for the drone.

I use an iPad with GPS and it works fine when out of cellular range. I used it to plot a new dirt road on my farm recently. I cached the map display before starting so I had an overhead "google earth" photo to help guide me as I walked the path and I used a can of spray paint to mark the ground.

I would think it easier to just walk the line with a phone that has GPS and use that to place break crumb markers. There are several apps that display a trace of your devices route just like DJI does for the drone.

I use an iPad with GPS and it works fine when out of cellular range. I used it to plot a new dirt road on my farm recently. I cached the map display before starting so I had an overhead "google earth" photo to help guide me as I walked the path and I used a can of spray paint to mark the ground.

That might not be accurate enough if the line is heavily treed, as indicated by the OP. Most GPS receivers will struggle for lock, let alone accuracy, under thick canopy.

Reactions: TheFarmer
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan