DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flyaway. Sudden total loss of satellites ???

I would like to know how switching to sport mode would suddenly give you responsive controls.

I was thinking the same.

Were you locked to satellites when you switched to Sport? I'm guessing that you regained connections to satellites at the same time you switched to sport.

I wouldn't want to lose my drone in that area :eek:

I was thinking the same.

Were you locked to satellites when you switched to Sport? I'm guessing that you regained connections to satellites at the same time you switched to sport.

I wouldn't want to lose my drone in that area :eek:

See post #7 - that's not what happened. This had nothing to do with a loss of GPS.

Just a side note. I see you have an all metal roof at the cabin. IF you decide to calibrate there, I would move away from the cabin.

I did not recalibrate there. Once up i thought i lost all satellites, the drone went into atti mode and immediately started to drift away uncontrollably away from the home point and across the river. I didn't notice any irregular things on my app upon preflight check out takeoff. Everything seemed fine until around that 4:30 mark. I didn't really think about the steel roof being an issue until someone mentioned it.

I have a app that I check my launch site for magnetic field’s or excessive steel or iron in the area . It was a free app for my iPhone
I have that same app and I always check it for magnetic fields before I put my bird up in the air just to be safe and know if there’s a magnetic field around the area I am flying in.

33cec693c181a2b0723e4859a87a58de.jpg

This time I had a very small magnet 3 feet away from the phone .
Interesting. But, there is a much better app that can be used. That's the DJI Go App itself. The problem with a phone App like this is that it can miss geomagnetic distortions that can cause a fly away. The distortion caused by a small washer, screw, etc will extend only 2 or 3 inches and will be difficult to detect using this App. It's also difficult to determine if the geomagnetic field is distorted but the field strength is close to normal. Both of these problems can be seen just by looking at the red triangle heading indicator in the Go App map display. If that heading indicator isn't consistent with the actual AC heading then there is a geomagnetic distortion that can cause a fly away.

Reactions: sar104
Interesting. But, there is a much better app that can be used. That's the DJI Go App itself. The problem with a phone App like this is that it can miss geomagnetic distortions that can cause a fly away. The distortion caused by a small washer, screw, etc will extend only 2 or 3 inches and will be difficult to detect using this App. It's also difficult to determine if the geomagnetic field is distorted but the field strength is close to normal. Both of these problems can be seen just by looking at the red triangle heading indicator in the Go App map display. If that heading indicator isn't consistent with the actual AC heading then there is a geomagnetic distortion that can cause a fly away.

I was just about to post the same advice.

Reactions: BudWalker
One take away fromt his is that you should always be super comfortable flying in atti. Practicing atti when you don't have too is the key from this being a harrowing, scary experience, to this being a "hmm, wonder what that was".

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998