DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flyaways are a myth, or so I thought... Although I'd appreciate a little help.

SaOuGenLa

Reactions
As per the title...

Heres the flight log DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

I still think that flyaways are a myth, it's pilot error. With that in mind what did I do wrong (Apart from being too low water on a very sunny day)? Any log analysis(No, not the Bristol stool chart log analysis) would be welcome as I'm worried that this may happen again.

Problem?

I was flying in the lake district, two successful flights down burnt through a battery each one. no problems apart from needing to calibrate the compass at each location.

I then flew very, very low level over Ullswater. Less than 3 metres, I climbed to 6 metres then the incident happened. Flight logs and video link included.

Brief description, Magic air jolted then yawed to right before setting off on its own across the lake!

Thankfully I'd read on here that switching to sport mode can often regain control of the aircraft. Thankfully it did and I brought the air home.

Was unit in a crash?

No

What have you tried so far?[/B

Looked at flight logs and control inputs on Airdata. Stick input doesn't correspond to what happend at the moment if the incident]

What device are you using ( iphone , ipad, Samsung , etc)?

Sony ZX1

What firmware are you running ( aircraft, remote controller)?

Latest

What Go app version are you using?

Latest

Any modification?
(if so what)
No Mods

Did you change anything or install any apps? (if so what)

No

Do you have a video or pictures of the problem? (if so post link)

Screen shot showing flight path: https://photos.app.goo.gl/bKswk5SJoRkP2vPP6

Last edited:
Heres the flight log DAT file: Edit, Im having trouble uploading the DAT. I'll look for solutions in meantime

I still think that flyaways are a myth, it's pilot error. With that in mind what did I do wrong (Apart from being too low water on a very sunny day)? Any log analysis(No, not the Bristol stool chart log analysis) would be welcome as I'm worried that this may happen again.
The simplest and best way to investigate an incident is to go to DJI Flight Log Viewer - Phantom Help
Follow the instructions you find there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.

Reactions: SaOuGenLa
That's what I've been trying but something isn't quite right so it's not uploading the files
It would be unusual for it not to work but if you are having trouble, post the .txt file here and I'll try to upload it.

Here's the generated report. It's identical to the ones I get in Airdata. I could've shared a link from there?

DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

Looks like the issue was with my phone, I couldn't upload from there.

Thanks for the help and your patience

It would be unusual for it not to work but if you are having trouble, post the .txt file here and I'll try to upload it.

Here's the generated report. It's identical to the ones I get in Airdata. I could've shared a link from there?
It's not identical ...it is much better for investigating an incident.
I'll get back to you.

It's not identical ...it is much better for investigating an incident.
I'll get back to you.

Ah, My mistake. Thankyou.

For anyone reading through this having trouble uploading the flight log... follow the instructions. I did not an spent way too long trying to sort it out.

I then flew very, very low level over Ullswater. Less than 3 metres, I climbed to 6 metres then the incident happened.
Are you sure that's the right flight?
That flight never went higher than 2.3 metres, straight out and back.

Are you sure that's the right flight?
That flight never went higher than 2.3 metres, straight out and back.
That's definitely the right flight, I only did one over Ullswater. It was the only one over a lake this weekend. I remember gaining altitude or at least moving forward on the left stick until the screen said 6m. I guess I'm not remembering it accurately.
Though when the bump and drift happened I was watching and there was no birds about and then the Air flew to the right with no input.
The slight drift to the right on the outward flight was also strange.

Last edited:
Brief description, Magic air jolted then yawed to right before setting off on its own across the lake!
At 1:54.7 the drone changed course to the left until 1:58.4
It only moved 10 feet to the east and the speed was very slow.
Then until 2:03.9 it moves back 30 feet to the west.
The speed went from 2 mph to 6 mph and then slowed down again before you flicked to Sport and brought it home.
During the deviation the you didn't touch the right joystick and just used the rudder.

Sorry, there aren't any clues that I can make sense of and there no error messages.
I wouldn't call what happened a flyaway.
It was slow (almost drifting) and the "recovery" was simple.

no problems apart from needing to calibrate the compass at each location.
That sounds odd.
You shouldn't need to calibrate the compass anywhere and if you get a compass error, the proper action is to move away from the magnetic interference the compass is warning you about.
Were you by any chance launching from reinforced concrete or close to steel items?

The speed went from 2 mph to 6 mph and then slowed down again before you flicked to Sport and brought it home.
During the deviation the you didn't touch the right joystick and just used the rudder.

Sorry, there aren't any clues that I can make sense of and there no error messages.

That sounds odd.
You shouldn't need to calibrate the compass anywhere and if you get a compass error, the proper action is to move away from the magnetic interference the compass is warning you about.
Were you by any chance launching from reinforced concrete or close to steel items?
First recalibration the app requested was in a field. No obvious metal nearby or underfoot. Second location was the side of a hill, again not obvious metal. Only location that didn't require a recalibration was at the lakeside where the incident happened.

I've flown this particular mavic air around Norfolk England with no issues before. But in Cumbria it acted weird, or rather I was doing something wrong.

That sounds odd.
Thank you for the analysis. I appreciate it. Sorry that there's not an obvious issue. Could or be that is from me flying so low over water?

you were way too low over water IMHO.

The downward sensors and reflective surfaces don't mix well
That's what I suspect, operator error, it appeared to be trying to decend so I pushed left stick forward and thought that I gained a little altitude, then a 'bump' occurred which can be seen in the video. After that it went off on it's own.

I've hovered over water before at less than 10m but it's been in shade.

Switching to sport disables the sensors so I'm thinking that's why I was able to fly back low and without incident?

I know with the old mavic when sitting still hovering low over water mine will try to drift and goes up and down . It reminds me of my old P2 . As soon as I put the old bird up to 30’ over water it is as solid as when it’s over land . I found that my old bird don’t like bright sun and small ripples on water at 20’ or less .

I know with the old mavic when sitting still hovering low over water mine will try to drift and goes up and down . It reminds me of my old P2 . As soon as I put the old bird up to 30’ over water it is as solid as when it’s over land . I found that my old bird don’t like bright sun and small ripples on water at 20’ or less .
Thank you, hopefully that's all that's wrong with my experience

I was trying to record blowing out a beaver dam on private property and the mavic would not hover in one spot . It was acting like a spoiled child in a toy store .

Thank you, hopefully that's all that's wrong with my experience
No ... it's correct.
The VPS will try to maintain stable height if you fly low with it enabled.
The water surface can confuse it.
If you are going to fly that close to water, it would be better to disable VPS.

I was trying to record blowing out a beaver dam on private property and the mavic would not hover in one spot . It was acting like a spoiled child in a toy store .
Sounds like an interesting job

I was recording just for pleasure but was happy for the invite to record it . I was way to close and my pro got very wet .

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djiuserjohn