DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying 1000m / 3000ft above Shanghai with landing on building

He almost lost it on top of that building. I was expecting it to lose connection once it landed, with the building blocking connection and the metal messing with the compass. This was done for his own adrenaline rush, nothing more. With the smog, there wasn't much to see.
He looked rather smug at the end, but I won't be surprised Chinese authorities has tracked him down.

He almost lost it on top of that building. I was expecting it to lose connection once it landed, with the building blocking connection and the metal messing with the compass. This was done for his own adrenaline rush, nothing more. With the smog, there wasn't much to see.
He looked rather smug at the end, but I won't be surprised Chinese authorities has tracked him down.

I hope not. He's just a kid!

That ain’t no kid. That’s an adult at least in his law 20s maybe early 30s

I’ve actually been to the top of that tower. It’s very nice. I don’t know what the laws are in China for this sort of thing so I will not engage in that speculation.

wow thats quite a vid, is it always that smoggy there??? grossssss. wow sure was high to be at critical battery, very cool vid dude

wow thats quite a vid, is it always that smoggy there??? grossssss. wow sure was high to be at critical battery, very cool vid dude

It’s not always that smoggy. It was fairly clear sky when I was there. Some of it is humidity I think. But most of China is smoggy unless the winds from Siberia are blowing is what the locals told me.

Reactions: genesimmons
This is about as idiotic a stunt as I've seen in a long time.
Thanks for nothing.
Hopefully you'll be found and prosecuted for whatever rules you may have broken.
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Reactions: MaviP
This is about as idiotic a stunt as I've seen in a long time.
Thanks for nothing.
Hopefully you'll be found and prosecuted for whatever rules you may have broken.
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
what rules were broken? what are the flying rules in his country? if he landed on the building and couldnt take off again, his mav is gone,pretty sure he knew that going up, iam not familiar with the landing on buildings rules, if i am flying legally and encounter some wind drift and say i cant make it back to home point, if i land on a appartment building roof, instead of crashing to the ground is that considered a "no-no" just wondering, not planning on doing it haha,

Reactions: SkyNinja and Tony56
what rules were broken? what are the flying rules in his country?
120m altitude limit in China and VLOS only. Not near airports, government/military installations etc. Basically same rules as in the US.
But it really depends if the cops stop you or not for flying too high or too far away. Probably not. No government buildings in PuDong area where the World Financial Center building the landing took place on is, just commercial. The cops will probably enjoy watching. No one gives a s%it here in Shanghai for stuff like this unless, you protest the government.

It's not like in NYC where they send a SWAT team after you if you fly a drone in Manhattan.

Last edited:
Normally, but not always. After many smoggy trips to Shanghai, I was finally there one time with blue skies. A few locals told me it was the first time they had ever seen blue sky there. Turned out the government had shut down hundreds of factories, and limited traffic in order to clear the air for a G-20 summit in Hangzhou. I took advantage by going to the observation deck at the top of the largest building in the video, the Shanghai Tower. 128 floors. Tallest building in China, and when I was there, the second tallest in in the world. Spectacular view with those rare clear skies. Another odd thing. The building had been open for about a year and the only thing in it was the observation deck. Not a single office was occupied. Not sure if that is still the case.

Shanghai, fascinating city, some wonderful people, and worst smog I have ever seen. But still not the worst in China.

Reactions: genesimmons

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54