DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying a drone 100 feet from an airport

detectorguy

Reactions
I went to a park yesterday enjoying the day watching aircraft as they came in for a landing just above the trees. When we was getting ready to leave I heard the sound of a drone. I located the operator of this drone, went up and talked to him. He told me that he had been flying there for years. He told me that he just had to call the airport and tell them that he was flying. He then landed his drone and disappeared. What should I do in this situation?

Get photographic evidence and his number plate then report him to the police.
Sounds like a clear breach of safety laws. Since I purchased my drone 4 weeks ago it seems like every one is against drones and their pilot's making it harder for the sensible pilot's out there to fly.
I went to a park yesterday enjoying the day watching aircraft as they came in for a landing just above the trees. When we was getting ready to leave I heard the sound of a drone. I located the operator of this drone, went up and talked to him. He told me that he had been flying there for years. He told me that he just had to call the airport and tell them that he was flying. He then landed his drone and disappeared. What should I do in this situation?

When I’m out flying with My drones I wear a neon safety vest with ”drone pilot” in black on the back that somehow tells people around me that I’m serious with what I’m doing and that I’m not sneaking around undercover.

Reactions: Roy A
Since different countries have different laws and regulations, what country are you talking about?

Is it in the US? Was it a class G airport?
If so, he was legal. Nothing to report.
Staying clear of the runways path, and having a scanner to listen to the airport frequency,might be the only advice.

There are quite a few unknown factors here to advise on what to do in this situation. Country and airspace classification are your biggest two as stated earlier. I wouldn’t actively seek out flying that close to an airport, but depending on the exact flight path in accordance to manned aircraft flight path and drones altitude it could be completely safe and legal.

Reactions: texasgrape
Since you're in the US you should look on a map (Kitttyhawk, Sectional etc) and determine what the requirements are for the area in question. If it's indeed an AUTHORIZATION zone and you see the person operating there again you can "Document" it and report it to the FAA.

Just because it doesn't seem safe doesn't' mean it's guaranteed illegal but the operator is flat out WRONG about calling the airport. Unless they have an existing Letter of Agreement (LOA) with the airport (and yes this is still a thing and legal) and the LOA mandates the phone call.... the operator is just blowing smoke . . .

Really it all boils down to the exact space the aircraft was operating in... until that is known nothing else is pertinent and just guessing at best.

What should I do in this situation?

Call the airport and see if you can fly there? Would give you a pretty definitive answer on what he was up to and possibly open up somewhere new that you can fly. I've not flown anywhere near that close to an airport, but so far the 3 airports I have had to call have all been excellent to deal with.

Reactions: sgrinavi
If he shouldn't have been there, I'm surprised the airport didn't educate him when he called them, IF he called them.

He was right on the landing/ takeoff area of the airport.
I called the tower at the airport and they told me that there had been calls on someone flying a drone there. They told me that if I see him there again just to call the police and maybe they could educate him. Maybe give him a nice set of matching bracelets along with a nice fine.

Reactions: Gindra
Since you're in the US you should look on a map (Kitttyhawk, Sectional etc) and determine what the requirements are for the area in question. If it's indeed an AUTHORIZATION zone and you see the person operating there again you can "Document" it and report it to the FAA.

Just because it doesn't seem safe doesn't' mean it's guaranteed illegal but the operator is flat out WRONG about calling the airport. Unless they have an existing Letter of Agreement (LOA) with the airport (and yes this is still a thing and legal) and the LOA mandates the phone call.... the operator is just blowing smoke . . .

Really it all boils down to the exact space the aircraft was operating in... until that is known nothing else is pertinent and just guessing at best.
I like to argue with you, but I think you hit this one right on the head.Thumbswayup

Reactions: BigAl07
Kinda sounds like he wasn't supposed to be there. Sometimes I fly at a small active (tower-less) airport that is also classified an AMA flying site. You fly from a designated spot on the runway and are required to have a spotter looking for incoming aircraft. Some of those planes can be on you fast if nobody realizes one is coming in to land.

I was out in a park in Sacramento California watching the aircraft come in for a landing when I seen this. The park was right at the end of the runway.

Interesting...in looking at the sectional chart and also maps with parks if it’s near Sacramento Exec or Mather those are in Class D surface airspace which requires authorization.

If it was the park near Sacramento McClellan that’s Class E - also requiring authorization.

Authorization is by the LAANC system...towers haven’t taken calls since the rule changes in May.

19f303510bdd926f5f9633f4c4e1b48e.jpg

I was out in a park in Sacramento California watching the aircraft come in for a landing when I seen this. The park was right at the end of the runway.
I fly out of Sac and am familiar with the area, where were you exactly? Was it the one at the approach end of 20 at Sac Executive? I wouldn't want someone flying a drone there and you wouldn't be able to get LAANC approval there.

Last edited:
Nothing

Reactions: hiflyer201
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa