DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying a Drone in Thailand

LeRoytheBoy

Reactions
I have been told that to fly my Drone in Thailand I need to be Licensed.
I have twice emailed the "Civil Aviation Authority" in Thailand and can't get them to respond.
Would anyone have a link or knowledge of where I have to apply.??

Well I'm not as smart as you because I only have 19 messages and you have 1,006.
Obviously you are here only to build on your fantastic advice with a high rating.
The mere fact that I joined here on July 14th would indicate that I'm a 69 year old newbie here, who is finding his feet.
I'm also new to this type of forum thingy.
For your information I have tried a search on the www to come up with pages that are in Thai and forms that cannot be loaded.
What I learnt from this is - Your never to old to learn, but sometimes when you ask for good advice, you end up with a Smrt Rrrrr's like you.
I thank you for your wonderful help and I aspire to be as clever as you one day.

Reactions: jimlips
Well I'm not as smart as you because I only have 19 messages and you have 1,006.
Obviously you are here only to build on your fantastic advice with a high rating.
The mere fact that I joined here on July 14th would indicate that I'm a 69 year old newbie here, who is finding his feet.
I'm also new to this type of forum thingy.
For your information I have tried a search on the www to come up with pages that are in Thai and forms that cannot be loaded.
What I learnt from this is - Your never to old to learn, but sometimes when you ask for good advice, you end up with a Smrt Rrrrr's like you.
I thank you for your wonderful help and I aspire to be as clever as you one day.
Really? I gave you the information I suspect might have proved to be what you needed. Did you click on the link? The second or third post is a fellow Aussie who just went through the exercise in Thailand.

I wasn’t being snarky. The fact is the search function on this forum is excellent- 9/10 times you will get what you need without having to post and wait for an answer.

Forgive me if I might be reluctant to try and assist you in future. It seems it is in fact you with the attitude problem.

Dont expect a reply from CAAT, they really cant be bothered.

As for obtaining a permit, it depends. Even as a local or a resident with all the required permits its like pulling teeth, i know of people who have been trying for over a year and received no or useless responses.
As a tourist on a standard tourist visa i dont know of anyone who has tried managing to get one.

There is one thread on here about someone managing to get one, albeit at huge cost but i dont know of anyone else that managed.

Drones are everywhere in Thailand - nobody cares. They've banned in national parks and provide good money for the NP with the fines as 100s of chinese violate that rule daily.

It IS possible.
I went to CAAT with proof of insurance, copies of ID card, house registration, drone details, paid the fee, and 6 months later my licence arrived in the mail.
No payoffs. All legal. A long time yes, but I understand renewals are much faster.
You can feel good when you're flying legally.

Ive been trying for 14 months so far with absolutely no joy. Seems most dont respond to emails or answer the phone.

NBTC at police station failed as not a single person there had even the slightest clue about what to do and issue. CAAT havent responded to anything sent.

After a search you can find an answer but does it always contain the "latest" information. By asking the question again someone might have more-to-date information.
The other option is- with respect to a recently addressed issue/question- people will simply ignore the post.

A simple search is the solution. You get an instant answer in most cases.

I can see why people don’t suggest it often however- ignorance of the feature or competence in its use might illicit a hostile response.

I was there recently, in the Phuket area. Just made sure I was away from crowds and not in national parks. Checked if it was OK with locals and never had problems
Thanks Bushie,
As I am also going to Phuket, Can you advise where did you fly.?
What constitutes a National Park.?
Are they sign posted as a National Park.?
Thanks if you have to time to answer.
LeRoy

Thanks Bushie,
As I am also going to Phuket, Can you advise where did you fly.?
What constitutes a National Park.?
Are they sign posted as a National Park.?
Thanks if you have to time to answer.
LeRoy

The videos I took

National parks are usually well signposted with plenty of "No Drones" signs

I found a kiosk in the Mall that offers registration, license and insurance. Today I walked down to the kiosk expecting to have that done. the process to do this costly but the Penalties could be 100,000 baht fine or five years in prison.
It takes weeks to get everything back. The entire process focus around whether I have a long or short term Visa and if I bought the drone in Thailand or someplace else.
I decided not to fly.

Last edited:
No, the Mall in Pattaya. I believe their page on FB is there on the flyer. Maybe message them and ask if they have a place Phuket that will do it also.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AVI Drones