DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying at a High School

ccoltmanm

Reactions
I’m a teacher in an Illinois High School. The school had a drone program before, and they flew a MP in their field house. The football coach asked if I could fly over them during practice and games. I also just want to fly around and take shots for the school. Nothing paid, obviously.

Do I need anything more ham just permission from the principal to do any of these things? What’s the law and the airspace called?

taking pictures for the school could be considered a commercial use, and you can not fly over people.

that being said, fly safe and you should not have a problem

Flying over a bunch of minors that can't necessarily give consent? Seems like a horrible idea.

Reactions: cdubNga
I’m a teacher in an Illinois High School. The school had a drone program before, and they flew a MP in their field house. The football coach asked if I could fly over them during practice and games. I also just want to fly around and take shots for the school. Nothing paid, obviously.

Do I need anything more ham just permission from the principal to do any of these things? What’s the law and the airspace called?

The law is (assuming you are flying under hobbyist rules):

SEC. 336. SPECIAL RULE FOR MODEL AIRCRAFT. (a) IN GENERAL.—Notwithstanding any other provision of law relating to the incorporation of unmanned aircraft systems into Federal Aviation Administration plans and policies, including this subtitle, the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration may not promulgate any rule or regulation regarding a model aircraft, or an aircraft being developed as a model aircraft, if— (1) the aircraft is flown strictly for hobby or recreational use; (2) the aircraft is operated in accordance with a communitybased set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization; (3) the aircraft is limited to not more than 55 pounds unless otherwise certified through a design, construction, inspection, flight test, and operational safety program administered by a community-based organization; (4) the aircraft is operated in a manner that does not interfere with and gives way to any manned aircraft; and (5) when flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation (model aircraft operators flying from a permanent location within 5 miles of an airport should establish a mutually-agreed upon operating procedure with the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport)).

A community based organization would be the AMA, and their safety rules are here: https://modelaircraft.org/sites/default/files/100.pdf

I would say that you need permission from the Principal at bare minimum, so at least he's informed of what's going on.

The law is (assuming you are flying under hobbyist rules):

A community based organization would be the AMA, and their safety rules are here: https://modelaircraft.org/sites/default/files/100.pdf

I would say that you need permission from the Principal at bare minimum, so at least he's informed of what's going on.
One of the BIG no no's is to fly over stadiums/large crowds of people. You can't get permission from anyone on this idea. Least of all a school principal. The FAA forbids it.

Reactions: mortenf
The rules for stadiums are NFL games, MLB games, NASCAR and Division 1 football.

The students are in public, cripes the public is there to watch them, they have no reasonable expectation of privacy, so lets not even go into that BS.

There are lots of ways to fly over a HS football game or practice and take pictures or video, just don't be directly over them or anyone else, don't fly over a public way.

If you ask the Principal, you bet it will end up in the Superintendents office, before the School Board, the Lawyers will get involved, the Police, Fire, and the folks that buy the cleaning supplies.

I can think of 100 ways I would do that shoot..... down the sidelines sideways, from behind the line of scrimmage moving forward in tripod mode, turn around a point doing a full circle around the field ....

One of the BIG no no's is to fly over stadiums/large crowds of people. You can't get permission from anyone on this idea. Least of all a school principal. The FAA forbids it.

As a hobbyist, the FAA can't forbid JACK. That is what this part of Sec 336 means (emphasis mine): "Notwithstanding any other provision of law relating to the incorporation of unmanned aircraft systems into Federal Aviation Administration plans and policies, including this subtitle, the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration may not promulgate any rule or regulation regarding a model aircraft, or an aircraft being developed as a model aircraft..."

Reactions: Drgnfli
What you are describing requires a 107 commercial license. Payment (or lack thereof) doesn't have any bearing on how a flight is classified. A commercial flight is any flight where the the intent is for anything outside of personal recreation. Since you were asked, that classifies the flight as commercial - the same principal applies to the more general use case scenario you described, it's for the school.

As a hobbyist, the FAA can't forbid JACK. That is what this part of Sec 336 means (emphasis mine): "Notwithstanding any other provision of law relating to the incorporation of unmanned aircraft systems into Federal Aviation Administration plans and policies, including this subtitle, the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration may not promulgate any rule or regulation regarding a model aircraft, or an aircraft being developed as a model aircraft..."
The FAA can't forbid JACK? That could be true if you never registered your uas. The FAA strives to keep airspace safe for all. I, as a certified 107 pilot, would not have someone's uas come crashing down on me due to inexperienced pilots.

If you are a teacher and are flying in the course of your duties or while “on the clock” it seems like you should have your part 107 as it’s clearly not flying purely as a hobby.

Reactions: Bakasura
In Australia CASA define the need for a commercial license is if you fly "For economic gain" Clearly not the case for the OPs example.

The FAA can't forbid JACK? That could be true if you never registered your uas. The FAA strives to keep airspace safe for all. I, as a certified 107 pilot, would not have someone's uas come crashing down on me due to inexperienced pilots.

I guess you don't quite understand what "may not promulgate any rule or regulation regarding a model aircraft" means? I fly under section 336, not part 107, which was plainly stated at the beginning of my post. A UAS pilot is under more regulations under part 107 than section 336, as well it should be, since it's a for-hire situation. As a hobbyist, as long as I follow the 5 rules in sec. 336, I'm golden.

1) You stated it is for the school, 2) The coach requested them, so it is assumed the photos will be used for the school, and or printed, used in the school year book which is sold, etc. So it would fall under 107 and you would have to follow 107 rules.

We all know that absolutely nothing could ever go wrong.

If someone had a bad dream and something did go wrong and a student did get hurt I am certain the parents would not involve you because you had a verbal agreement between you and the Coach. Employee of the school system or not.

Reactions: EvoJones
We all know that absolutely nothing could ever go wrong.

If someone had a bad dream and something did go wrong and a student did get hurt I am certain the parents would not involve you because you had a verbal agreement between you and the Coach. Employee of the school system or not.

The parents MAY not, but probably will, and if they have an attorney, he/she would involve everyone connected to the flight, school district, actual school, principle, coach, PIC, and anyone else they could connect to the incident in order to get a judgment/settlement.

Vote for the "Right" side next time and get these stupid laws repealed.

My question is . . . Who will pay the insurance to be able to fly over people? When a rock falls off a cliff due to Mother Nature, you assumed the risk of being where the rock could fall. There were absolutely no human forces to make the rock way up there in the first place. Now give that rock some wings and connect it to a human with the controller. This new rock falls and (we would all hope this would not happen) it severely injuries another person, who is at fault on the liability? Even though you may have the idea to fly recreationally, be prepared for the absolute worst. Can you ensure insurance coverage for such an incident. Another thing to consider, before attempting, is learning if the school (school property) is under an umbrella NFZ. Many are just to prevent Remote Pilots from flying over sporting events. Probably helps to stop some pedofiles as well. You could certainly ask all people in attendance if they grant permission to fly overhead, but as soon as one says no . . . I can read on this very forum far too many accounts of fly-a-way and drop like a rock stories. Personally, without adequate training and insurance, I would be content to wait for Hell to freeze over before jeopardizing the health and safety of others. Bottom line, unless you have a COA from the FAA and are part 107 certified with the insurance . . . Stay away from placing yourself in such a predicament. All said and done, does your state department of education permit, do your city ordinances permit, does your school board of directors permit, does the principle permit, do all participants permit, do you have adequate training, do you have adequate insurance, are you prepared to accept potential consequences? I am not trying to paint the dismal picture and tell you NO! I am telling you to cross all your T’s and dot all your I’s before attempting. Think of every possible contingency and have a plan. Best of luck

What you are describing requires a 107 commercial license. Payment (or lack thereof) doesn't have any bearing on how a flight is classified. A commercial flight is any flight where the the intent is for anything outside of personal recreation. Since you were asked, that classifies the flight as commercial - the same principal applies to the more general use case scenario you described, it's for the school.
To be commercial he needs to get paid and that is not the case.

What you are describing requires a 107 commercial license. A commercial flight is any flight where the the intent is for anything outside of personal recreation. Since you were asked, that classifies the flight as commercial - the same principal applies to the more general use case scenario you described, it's for the school.

Not true. If my neighbor asks me to take a pic of his car, kid, house, etc, and to your knowledge, he is not publishing it, it’s not commercial any more than when a full scale private pilot is asked by his neighbor to go for a ride. In this case it could be commercial only because of the work related relationship and use of photos.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54