DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

flying below the mountain

redserv

Reactions
Hi Guys this weekend I am going to be flying my bird from a mountain top with the sea below the mountain. I was wondering what will happen if I decide to lower the drone below my ground level which is on the mountain. Will the DJI GO4 app read a negative altitude and try to force landing? I will like to get close to the ocean as possible however I am not sure if its a good idea. should I just stay above the mountain top? Hope to hear from anyone who has experience with this?

I was wondering what will happen if I decide to lower the drone below my ground level which is on the mountain. Will the DJI GO4 app read a negative altitude and try to force landing?
If you fly below the takeoff point, the altitude at the bottom of DJI GO will be negative. The drone will not attempt to land if the altitude is negative.

If you fly below the takeoff point, the altitude at the bottom of DJI GO will be negative. The drone will not attempt to land if the altitude is negative.
Thank you very msinger. You do an extremely awesome job answering questions everyday from new and old pilots like myself. I thank you for that

Reactions: msinger
You mentioned flying from a mountain top to the sea. This implies a substantial altitude difference. Make sure you have enough battery to make the climb back up. I would scope out accessible landing sites on the way down.

RTH settings.

If there is little above you, it is quite safe to set your RTH height at say just above the highest tree etc around you up there.
That way you won't be climbing to an unnecessary height on the return flight (if using RTH), keeping out of too high a wind.

It might even be a case it is better to fly home manually, staying behind the mountain (if head winds or simply at the lower altitude with less wind from any direction) and carefully monitoring your screen, manually flying with increasing height as needed . . . very careful watch of the monitor.

If wind is an issue, I would consider not doing the flight until you can get a still early morning or whatever time.
Remember 'mountains make their own weather', precipitation, winds can be very erratic and change quickly.

I would definitely scope out a good emergency landing spot, maybe even by vehicle / on foot on the way to check landing areas surfaces for suitability.

Maybe fly like you're flying out over an ocean, try and fly with a head wind to start, or only go down to a safe battery level to suit the winds and altitude gain for return.

It may be only a short distance, hard to tell, but enjoy your flight and be sure to post some footage, should be cool to see.

Thank you very much guys for all your suggestions and feedback. I will definitely keep them in my mind before flying.

Reactions: Dur8an Poison

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada