DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying by a POI while keeping it centred in the frame

fcms

Reactions
Hi,

I'm trying to fly a straigth line while keeping a POI that is sideways of this line in the center of my frame. Ideally without steps in the video. I've tried multiple ideas (1) Tap Fly and then manually moving the drone but I can't manage even though I changed the EXP settings to least sensitive (2) waypoints which seems to work if the POI is not too close to the fly by line but if it is quite close it is no longer smooth (I think a known "issue"). Any other ideas how to achieve this? or is it just training and then number 1 again?

Thanks!

Hi,

I'm trying to fly a straigth line while keeping a POI that is sideways of this line in the center of my frame. Ideally without steps in the video. I've tried multiple ideas (1) Tap Fly and then manually moving the drone but I can't manage even though I changed the EXP settings to least sensitive (2) waypoints which seems to work if the POI is not too close to the fly by line but if it is quite close it is no longer smooth (I think a known "issue"). Any other ideas how to achieve this? or is it just training and then number 1 again?

Thanks!
That is one thing you have to learn manually I believe , to be a good pilot I have been working on that manuver for weeks it helps if there is no wind also . I can finally do that maneuver but still not super smooth

I have tried the POI spotlight mode and that does work but for me it did not work all the time

Reactions: BD0G
Yes there are some distance requirements, it loses the target pretty quickly when you fly out. Parrot's "cameraman" is a lot better for that.

Yes there are some distance requirements, it loses the target pretty quickly when you fly out. Parrot's "cameraman" is a lot better for that.
Is that third-party software app ?

Cameraman ? Sorry, should have specified that it's a feature of the Parrot software for its drones. I don't know why DJI can't offer something similar, i.e. spotlight that doesn't lose the target so quickly.

Cameraman ? Sorry, should have specified that it's a feature of the Parrot software for its drones. I don't know why DJI can't offer something similar, i.e. spotlight that doesn't lose the target so quickly.
That would be nice,I would use that alot. The fun part is learning those shots manually it takes lots of practice ?

Yeah it's really hard, generally I start out ok and then all of a sudden I get confused between what needs to be moved between the two sticks and the gimbal !

I cant do it and I have tried. It ends up kinda jerky. So I keep distances to the POI in mind and fire up Active Track - Spotlight Mode. If It looses target I just fly back to the point I started from and try again. Its not like I dont have more batteries.

Reactions: Drgnfli
Most of the time you shouldn’t need to move the gimble and you will get it through practicing it just takes time but it is well worth it

Reactions: PhuketAl
Ed Ricker the YouTube has a video where he flies the Mavic in a straight line and rotates the drone in a full circle manually it is hard to watch without getting dizzy

DJI do have something like that on the Mavic Pro, and I don't know why they didn't take it forward to M2Pro? Mavic Pro has an IFM called 'Course Lock' which allows you to 'lock' the Mavic Pro on a heading, then move forward or backwards along that heading using the right-stick as usual, but the difference is that it doesn't matter what direction you yaw the Mavic, it maintains that smooth speed along the heading line. It's perfect for doing a fly-by as you can keep the on-course speed constant, and then just worry about the yaw on the left-hand stick, to keep the subject in the frame. Even with the Mav' aimed back at you at the end of the run, you still pull back on the right-stick to make it come back to you. It's a very useful setting ...
Here's an example of a recent attempt ...

DJI do have something like that on the Mavic Pro, and I don't know why they didn't take it forward to M2Pro? Mavic Pro has an IFM called 'Course Lock' which allows you to 'lock' the Mavic Pro on a heading, then move forward or backwards along that heading using the right-stick as usual, but the difference is that it doesn't matter what direction you yaw the Mavic, it maintains that smooth speed along the heading line. It's perfect for doing a fly-by as you can keep the on-course speed constant, and then just worry about the yaw on the left-hand stick, to keep the subject in the frame. Even with the Mav' aimed back at you at the end of the run, you still pull back on the right-stick to make it come back to you. It's a very useful setting ...
Here's an example of a recent attempt ...

M2p does the same thing with (tap fly free ) mode , i’m pretty sure it is the same thing

M2p does the same thing with (tap fly free ) mode , i’m pretty sure it is the same thing
I hope there is an equivalent, but I do know that there are a lot of posts on this forum, lamenting the loss of Course (and Home) Lock in the upgrade to the Mav 2 Pro!

Reactions: BD0G
Course Lock will work and I considered posting of its existence , but Active Track Spotlight mode keeps the target in frame for you . So its like an automated Course Lock.

Reactions: Ebi2019
Hi,
Tap to fly free is supposed to be the replacement for course lock but I found it to be hit and miss, with some practise however I have managed to quit successfully do this completely freehand by moving both sticks outward very slightly in tripod mode and keeping the sticks within the inner circle of their movement, once you get used to it it’s quite amazing, just worth a try, good luck

Have you tried the Litchi app with waypoints and a POI? With Litchi Hub you can even design missions ahead of time on your home computer then load and fly it in the field.
Notice that in this video, the tree is the POI and the controller is at my side - its fully automated.
This is just a little bumpy - maybe because its a bit breezy and I'm flying my old Phantom 3 4K, but this same mission can be loaded and flown with my Mavic Pro or pretty much ANY DJI drone and Litchi:

You need to be gentle on the rudder however if you keep the right stick the same distance from the centre detent (mode 2) the transition from elevator to aileron will keep your speed constant on the fly past. The more rudder you apply the more you need to move the right stick. From there it is a simple matter of coordination to keep your subject centred. Once it clicks in your head it will be second nature. Pinching the sticks helps with feel and control. For me anyway.

Reactions: Jet skier
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest