DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying DJI Air 2S in remote area without cell service?

Tengu_Pirate

Reactions
I’m making a trip to the Patagonia region of Argentina in March and there is very little mobile phone service in the remote area I’m visiting. I’m wondering whether I’ll be able to fly my DJI Air 2S if my phone doesn’t have service? Can someone let me know if it’s possible to fly without having an active internet connection?

I’m sure hoping to get some really cool footage of this amazing area I’m finally getting to visit!

Assuming your destination does not have restricted or controlled airspace requiring unlocking with dji (along with whatever service needed to request airspace authorization in that location) you should be able to fly just fine.

The main thing you might not get is up to date maps on the mini map.

I've flown numerous times without any internet connectivity at all (which is common when using a wifi only tablet as the drone controller). It only becomes an issue when I'm in controlled airspace that I had not previously downloaded authorization into the drone before hand. (If your destination is controlled, look into requesting authorization for the future date range so that the drone is already unlocked for it locally).

Also double/triple check Argentina and local area laws regarding drone operation and flight as well as any customs issues with drones.

You only need internet for unlocking request zones you might be in.
On DJI fly app you can now download small areas of maps to your device so it has a map for you to see when you have no internet.
:)

Last edited:
Reactions: pzampino
Cache the maps of all around Patagonia first before going there
You can adjust map radius in settings
Check airmap it is probably National park but if you fly along coast from sea long at coast should be fine

Reactions: tornadotim
I fly my Air 2s routinely without cell service in FL in uncontrolled airspace; I have data service on my phone turned off. But, I do have wi-fi service at when I turn on my Air2S and Android Fly app when I check the Air 2s for any problems or updates.

I’m making a trip to the Patagonia region of Argentina in March and there is very little mobile phone service in the remote area I’m visiting. I’m wondering whether I’ll be able to fly my DJI Air 2S if my phone doesn’t have service? Can someone let me know if it’s possible to fly without having an active internet connection?

I’m sure hoping to get some really cool footage of this amazing area I’m finally getting to visit!
Always check when you’re in a WiFi area for firmware updates before flying otherwise, except for reasons stated below, WiFi is not needed to fly.

Is it true that if you have a hotspot to your phone, you'll still get access to your phone's GPS and maps, or do you have to have cell service to populate the maps?

Is it true that if you have a hotspot to your phone, you'll still get access to your phone's GPS and maps, or do you have to have cell service to populate the m
You need internet access of some sort for you Fly app-- whether wi-fi, hotspot, or cell phone.

Is it true that if you have a hotspot to your phone, you'll still get access to your phone's GPS and maps, or do you have to have cell service to populate the maps?
You can download smaller maps when you have a connection and use offline now, not a big area but it does allow it

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard