DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying drone above own garden

As a matter of interest to all. Radio controlled model aircraft are also covered by the same code. After much lobbying of mp's and the CAA we got some exemptions as members of the bmfa. It's almost impossible to observe the 50m rule at most slope soaring sites. As is the 400ft rule, you break that within 10 seconds of launching off most hills. So we are trusted to fly above 400ft and to assess the risk when flying near people for ourselves. This has worked well. This doesn't apply to multirotors though. I'm baffled. My 6kg Carbon/Kevlar composite glider capable of speeds of 250mph+ is going to do far more damage.

Reactions: FoxhallGH
You mentioned it in your post. "People under your control". If they agree then technically they are under your control. Mind you they would probably refute that if injury or damage occurred.
Also remember that in my post that was preceded by ... " Even if you have a PfCO and fly commercially ..." - in other words, as a recreational flyer it's not an option and doesn't matter if you ask permission, or demand unconditional obedience - you cannot fly closer than 50 metres to people and isolated buildings - and you cannot fly closer than 150 metres to a built-up area.

Does anyone know what the rules are around flying a drone above your own garden? I can't seem to find anything explicit to say whether or not it is allowed. My assumption would be that it is OK but I know you cannot fly within 50 metres of people or property or 150 metres in a built up area. Thanks

The answer is in your question " you cannot fly within 50 metres of people or property or 150 metres in a built up area"

Also remember that in my post that was preceded by ... " Even if you have a PfCO and fly commercially ..." - in other words, as a recreational flyer it's not an option and doesn't matter if you ask permission, or demand unconditional obedience - you cannot fly closer than 50 metres to people and isolated buildings - and you cannot fly closer than 150 metres to a built-up area.
A lot of model aircraft clubs are blatently ignoring the rules then. Families and friends are often much closer to the action than 50m. TBH some common sense has to prevail. Most iff not all recreational UAV pilots fly outside the rules at some point. Almost all of the Land in England is owned by someone. How many go to the trouble of finding out who owns it and asking permission? This was an Argument (among others) we had with the CAA as Aeromodellors. They recognise our hobby has an excellent safety record. We as a group could have stayed quiet and accepted the new rules. However we didn't, we fought our corner and won some concessions. Such as being able to fly over 400ft ( if air traffic control zones allow). We also fly in close proximity to people. Every aspect of the flight is based on minimising risk to everyone and everything. The same is applied to flying things in my garden. I fly when no people are out and land if someone does come out. All flights are performed below fence height just in case I dumb thumb it. Iff I were asked to stop doing it I would. Iff I were asked to surrender my aircraft I would. We all have a choice. I choose to continue to offer my support to those that are prepared to fight against the organisations that would have us confined to flying in their designated areas. Flying a UAV is not a criminal offence. Thankfully our Police are more likely to educate people than arrest them. Right off my soap box now.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan