DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying drone in Edinburgh

Found this post when trying to get to the root of Edinburgh City Council's drone policy. It does indeed appear absurd https://democracy.edinburgh.gov.uk/Data/Culture and Communities Committee/20190129/Agenda/item_87_-_code_of_practice_for_filming_in_edinburgh.pdf . The CAA have created regulations aimed at being "proportionate", therefore we'll just ban all recreational drone usage :

A great deal of online guidance, which is being regularly updated, can be found on the CAA website:
www.caa.co.uk/Consumers/Unmanned‐aircraft‐and‐drones
Essentially, the person controlling a small UAS is fully responsible for the safe operation of any flight,
but it is important to consider whether permission, in addition to and separate from a licence from
the CAA or others, is needed.
The regulations are intended to protect people and / or properties that are not involved in the
activity. They are also aimed at being as ‘light touch’ and proportionate as possible, so there is a
great deal that can be done (especially for private or recreational flights) without the need to
approach the CAA at all.

City of Edinburgh Council Land Owner Stance – Drone Usage
In general terms, and in line with CAA advice, The City of Edinburgh Council (CEC) may refuse any
request made to us for recreational or commercial purposes as land owner to fly drones on City of
Edinburgh Council (CEC) land.

Exemptions will only be granted, where usage of a drone device;
- aids risk reduction in the work place i.e. working at height, building survey work
- is to undertake a professional service, i.e. Festivals & Events Media, filming, etc. whilst
working within the constraints of CAA guidance noted above.

Reasons for the Council stance for recreational or commercial requests;
- The close proximity of many of our sites to neighbouring residential, educational and
business properties and the potential risk of causing alarm, distress or harassment to
occupants.
- Potential risk of accident, injury to other site users or property as a result of user or drone
error.
- CEC granting permission could leave the local authority liable for subsequent actions
brought about by drone activity when operated from land under our ownership

not from Edinburgh, but quite tempted to FOI to get the minutes of the meeting where this was decided, and by whom.

Yeah, so I have discussed this with a few people who work for media organisations - their advice was to fly safely, with insurance but do your best not to engage with Local Authorities - something I am hesitant to do but realistically it’s the only way you can actually fly without dealing with a paperwork nightmare. CAP 722C obviously improves things for drone flyers in the city but TOAL restrictions are still off the chain from Edinburgh Council and it doesn’t look like it’s been updated to reflect the new Regs. It would be interesting to see what their rationale was though. Probably just drone = bad / drone = money for council.

What is Glasgow like if you don’t mind me asking. I couldn’t find their drone bylaws from a quick glance.

Yeah, so I have discussed this with a few people who work for media organisations - their advice was to fly safely, with insurance but do your best not to engage with Local Authorities - something I am hesitant to do but realistically it’s the only way you can actually fly without dealing with a paperwork nightmare. CAP 722C obviously improves things for drone flyers in the city but TOAL restrictions are still off the chain from Edinburgh Council and it doesn’t look like it’s been updated to reflect the new Regs. It would be interesting to see what their rationale was though. Probably just drone = bad / drone = money for council.

What is Glasgow like if you don’t mind me asking. I couldn’t find their drone bylaws from a quick glance.
So i've done more digging... the "Code of practice for filming in Edinburgh" was approved by the Cultures and Communities Committee (Contact details - Culture and Communities Committee - Modern Council) on 29/01/2019 with an agreement to review it after 6 months. I've looked through subsequent minutes and can find no review having taken place so i've emailed the convener and asked about this, also pointing out the significant changes that came into law at the beginning of this year... :)

I've not had a drone for long, and only been out a few times in a local park but not had any issues. I stumbled upon the Edinburgh CC rules whilst speculatively trying to find local byelaws - (i'm still trying to get my head around the whole "be careful of local byelaws whilst flying drones, but no, there is no register/map of local byelaws" thing). I've checked the Glasgow CC website and the only thing I can find is that if you book space in a park for an event (charity / promotional / fitness / community / etc) then drone filming is approved as long as Police Scotland don't care. From that, I can only infer that Glasgow CC have a "do what you want" policy.

Reactions: thestylishwalrus
So i've done more digging... the "Code of practice for filming in Edinburgh" was approved by the Cultures and Communities Committee (Contact details - Culture and Communities Committee - Modern Council) on 29/01/2019 with an agreement to review it after 6 months. I've looked through subsequent minutes and can find no review having taken place so i've emailed the convener and asked about this, also pointing out the significant changes that came into law at the beginning of this year... :)

I've not had a drone for long, and only been out a few times in a local park but not had any issues. I stumbled upon the Edinburgh CC rules whilst speculatively trying to find local byelaws - (i'm still trying to get my head around the whole "be careful of local byelaws whilst flying drones, but no, there is no register/map of local byelaws" thing). I've checked the Glasgow CC website and the only thing I can find is that if you book space in a park for an event (charity / promotional / fitness / community / etc) then drone filming is approved as long as Police Scotland don't care. From that, I can only infer that Glasgow CC have a "do what you want" policy.
Please keep us apprised what they come back with - although I am sure it will lead to a tightening of rules! I think the thing about CAP 722C is that it may lead to Councils trying to establish FRZ's over city centres for even sub 250g drones.

Although I believe that a TOAL app is being developed by the Drone team to deal with the high level of pointless callouts from concerned citizens....

I have taken that approach to shooting in Glasgow, I couldn't find anything regarding filming in the city relating to drones but when I have shot there I have tried to make sure that I am up early or TOAL on large open spaces out the way of foot traffic.

Reactions: AS2064
I have taken that approach to shooting in Glasgow, I couldn't find anything regarding filming in the city relating to drones but when I have shot there I have tried to make sure that I am up early or TOAL on large open spaces out the way of foot traffic.
I do the same in Glasgow, usually shooting at dawn with my M2P, but have flown my Mini 2 during the day and the late evening. I've yet to be bothered by anyone and I'm seeing a lot of other people flying in Glasgow at the same time. Two other drones down at the graving docks the other week, though it was before 7am so no one else about. I also couldn't find anything in the city bylaws about drone flights.

Yeah, I was up at 5am on the weekend to get some dawn shots - saw a police van go past and thought it was for me.

It was a real relief when they drove off (even though I am flying completely legally), I always feel a bit naughty now that I am flying the Mini 2 rather than the MP.

Reactions: Drumsagard
Yeah, I was up at 5am on the weekend to get some dawn shots - saw a police van go past and thought it was for me.

It was a real relief when they drove off (even though I am flying completely legally), I always feel a bit naughty now that I am flying the Mini 2 rather than the MP.
I'm the same lol, I've got my A2 C of C certificate, commercial insurance, fly totally legal with my M2P and Mini 2 and still feel guilty as if I'm doing some thing wrong?

I'm the same lol, I've got my A2 C of C certificate, commercial insurance, fly totally legal with my M2P and Mini 2 and still feel guilty as if I'm doing some thing wrong?
How did you find the A2 C of C? Was it useful? I had a PfCO so have already have had my fill of exams but was wondering if it would be worth getting it in case my work needs me to fly something bigger than the Mini 2.

Reactions: Drumsagard
How did you find the A2 C of C? Was it useful? I had a PfCO so have already have had my fill of exams but was wondering if it would be worth getting it in case my work needs me to fly something bigger than the Mini 2.
Hi, definitely worth getting, the exam is very easy, most people I know who sat it got 95-100%. It's all done online. Check out A2 Qualification

Did you get an answer from them?

You can always go down the 101 route, ie phone 101 tell them what your plans is ie flight, location, and time.101 will give you a ref number and will pass it on to the person who works with Caa and they will call you back and they will say yes or no.if they say no you can challenge it........ if allowed and police challenge you just give them the 101 ref number .

I received a reply to my email, and it sounds like their policies are under consideration:

Thank you for your email. I enquired about this with our Senior Film Officer. She said to me yesterday that,

“Public Safety updated the drone permit application form in line with the new CAA guidelines which came into force on 31 December. This can be found on the Council’s Culture website here:

Drones

I have been having regular discussions with the other film offices around the UK about the new guidelines and about how we manage drone filming in cities in the light of these, and am meeting with colleagues in Public Safety tomorrow to discuss whether any further changes are required.”

I hope this is helpful. Best wishes,

Hello guys.

Does it mean that flights in Edinburgh are now prohibited for both recreational and commercial use without requesting a permission and getting it approved by the Council (as mentioned in #36 -> Drones)?

I wanted to go for a flight to Calton Hill/Arthur's Seat this week, but now it looks like I should've applied for a permission...

Quite frustrating and confusing, honestly.

Bit late getting back to this but has anyone had any experience of dealing with the new council policy?
Nope, I haven't bothered to try. I shoot aerial landscape photographs so "Applications should be made well in advance" isn't helpful since weather forecasters can't seem to get the weather right day to day, never mind trying to plan a flight well in advance.

New to the forum, but read this post with interest.

Does anyone know if the laws in Edinburgh have been updated? Just about to upgrade to a Mini 3 Pro to be under the 250g limit and was hoping to fly in the city centre - TAOL from Calton Hill and possibly Princes St (although that's council owned I believe). Is this feasible?

Also, and please excuse what is probably a VERY noob question - but do you still need to seek permission to take off from a landowner if you do a from hand take off and catch landing? I would assume yes, but chancing my luck :)

Thanks!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+