DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying for DroneBase

WWF

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I started getting communications from Drone Base last year. Seems cool, you sign up and then you get assignments for drone gigs in your area. So I did, but then i read that they my Air 2s wasn't on their approved equipment list so i just forgot about it. I checked my personal email account last week and saw they has sent me an assignment. I was out of town and couldn't do it but i read the details anyway. It was to cover a property that had been foreclosed on and it went on to say the owners were not aware of the drone flight and to leave the area promptly if confronted. I'm always up for adventure but it's one thing to get yelled at in a park but another to get confronted by someone getting kicked off their property. Thoughts?

Reactions: DougMcC
This is similar to a previous DroneBase thread for a property.
For the OP could you please provide details as to how you found this "job".

Last edited:
Here is the email. The Details button didn't work as i was too late in opening it.

That sounds really sketchy. Isn't that part of the deal if you work for them to check that the flight is legal AND ok with the owners of the property? This is just a guess. I am not the best person to ask about foreclosures but I think until the owners actually vacate the property, they have some rights as legal owners. It could be that the bank or Realtor is too impatient to wait and wants to jump the gun before the transfer of ownership has fully taken place.

Ask yourself this: Why should the existing onwers not be informed of the flight? If it's all on the up and up then the bank or whoever should have sent them a notice informing them of the step they are taking during this process one of which is araial photos of the property. Why the secrecy?

I personally would not take that job, your call. But just on a practical level, assuming your photo site hostile to drone flights, why put your drone in that kind of danger of possibly being shot down? Will DroneBase pay for a new one using THEIR insurance and not yours?

Reactions: n5fxx
Thanks, everything you said occurred to me. And even though I was too late to accept the mission i had already gave it a big heck no in my mind. Aside from the risk, i would just feel slimy.

I started getting communications from Drone Base last year. Seems cool, you sign up and then you get assignments for drone gigs in your area. So I did, but then i read that they my Air 2s wasn't on their approved equipment list so i just forgot about it. I checked my personal email account last week and saw they has sent me an assignment. I was out of town and couldn't do it but i read the details anyway. It was to cover a property that had been foreclosed on and it went on to say the owners were not aware of the drone flight and to leave the area promptly if confronted. I'm always up for adventure but it's one thing to get yelled at in a park but another to get confronted by someone getting kicked off their property. Thoughts?
Hello,
This is not uncommon to get those missions. If you accept these types of missions, they are pretty much straight forward.

That sounds really sketchy. Isn't that part of the deal if you work for them to check that the flight is legal AND ok with the owners of the property? This is just a guess. I am not the best person to ask about foreclosures but I think until the owners actually vacate the property, they have some rights as legal owners. It could be that the bank or Realtor is too impatient to wait and wants to jump the gun before the transfer of ownership has fully taken place.

Ask yourself this: Why should the existing onwers not be informed of the flight? If it's all on the up and up then the bank or whoever should have sent them a notice informing them of the step they are taking during this process one of which is araial photos of the property. Why the secrecy?

I personally would not take that job, your call. But just on a practical level, assuming your photo site hostile to drone flights, why put your drone in that kind of danger of possibly being shot down? Will DroneBase pay for a new one using THEIR insurance and not yours?
This is extremely common. I was a Licensed Real Estate Appraiser and we had to do this all the time for foreclosures and we called them drive bys. You take the pics and get away fast. There is a reason for that. The people living in the home could be very angry that they are being foreclosed on by the bank. The people living there are not the owners of the home. The bank "IS THE OWNER" until it's paid. I've appraised homes like this and with some of them the people being foreclosed on would completely trash the place. Destroying everything inside and out from anger. The bank is just making sure their investment is not being trashed. If you get confronted, you leave. The last thing you want is to get harmed for a few pictures. I would usually leave then come back later and literally take pictures on a roll in my truck and i'm gone. I'd take these jobs in a flash with a drone. Would you rather be confronted by someone with a gun face to face standing there taking pics of the house? You can park away from the place and they won't even know where the drone came from.............. If they even see it. Easy money imho.
An example of one of my worst moments is when the bank called the residents and asked them to leave the home and take their dogs at a certain time so I could go do my appraisal. Well, when I opened the garage door their two pitbulls were in there and almost got me. The residents did this on purpose. I called the bank and told them and they said just leave and I still got paid.

Last edited:
This is similar to a previous DroneBase thread for a property.
Was it this thread ?

Was it this thread ?

Probably. I only found one with a search because I had remembered reading a similar proposal.

I just rejected a very similar job ($50). DroneBase or the listing agency should notify the owner.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom