DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in Alaska.

owg666

Reactions
Hello
We're traveling to Alaska in June of 2020. Has anyone here flown their drone in Alaska ??
Anything I should know other than the national park
thing ?? Taking my M2P with me.
Thanks

Reactions: Madmax229
If you are going to Anchorage . Fly Baluga Point and Talketna is also awesome . If you can make the long journey try and drive out to Denali. Lots and lots of places to fly. Be aware of float planes . They can descend into a location with little or no warning.

Last edited:
Reactions: tleedom
I am leaving May 20th to Juneau then after a few days to Anchorage and will be driving to many places for 2 weeks. What I know, is there are a lot of airports in almost every small town, but they are mostly uncontrolled, so you may or may not be able to fly. Once you are away from any town, you should be good to go.

Reactions: BD0G
Thanks for info. We'll be as far north as Skagway. Taking an interior train excursion too. Hopefully they stop long enough to get some flying in. This will be my first airline experience bringing a drone. Hopefully no issues. I'll also scope out the areas before I get there for possibly geo unlocks ahead of time.

Hello
We're traveling to Alaska in June of 2020. Has anyone here flown their drone in Alaska ??
Anything I should know other than the national park
thing ?? Taking my M2P with me.
Thanks

Lots of great places to fly up here! In the Anchorage area Beluga point is good. Drive a little further south and you can fly some of the glaciers in the valleys around portage lake. I do that often. (My YouTube channel has a few examples). Further north is good until you hit Denali National Park. There are areas to fly around it but be careful to stay outside. They have been very strict about enforcing no flying over national parks up here including investigations based on video posted on social media and YouTube. Chugiak State Park (also near Anchorage) does not allow drones either. Other than that Alaska is basically super cinematic in every direction! I hope you enjoy your time up here!

Jake

Oh FYI we have more small aircraft up here than people so always be listening and watching for low flying aircraft. Loads of people fly well bellow 400’. Part of living in a state where about 98% is only accessible by small plane.

Last edited:
Reactions: pelagic_one
Thanks for starting this thread. I’ll be on a raft trip on a remote tributary to the Kuskokwim River in August. I recently bought a Mini for the purpose of scouting the river downstream for hazards. I’m aware there is no cellular service within at least 150 miles, but I hope there is sufficient GPS to establish a reliable RTH. I welcome advice from anyone who has flown in the isolated northern latitudes.

Stop by on your way. I live on northern bc.
Thanks for the offer. It will really depend on our timing.
We are on a really tight schedule.
But if it works out, I'd love too.
If you're interested in motorcycle travel videos, check out our channel

Wifey talked me into sled dogs in Skagway. Could be cool. Honestly. All the excursions we're taking are cool but I'm looking to fly !!!

I'm actually incorrect. The sled dog thing is in Juneau. We are taking the train in Skagway. In BC we do whale watching.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki