DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Flying in and around Whistler

Defens

Reactions
My wife and I are heading up to our timeshare in Whistler for the next few days and I'm wondering what the flying opportunities might be. I've seen seaplanes landing and taking off at Green Lake, so that pretty much wipes out flying around the Village (which by itself is probably forbidden). What about around the X-C ski trails and MTB trails just SE of the village? On Whistler or Blackcomb mountains themselves (take the gondola up and fly around in the alpine? Perhaps do a flyover around Nairn Falls on the way to Pemberton?

I've read through the basic recreational rules for distances from this and that - now trying to scope out specific prohibited areas.

Thanks!

My wife and I are heading up to our timeshare in Whistler for the next few days and I'm wondering what the flying opportunities might be. I've seen seaplanes landing and taking off at Green Lake, so that pretty much wipes out flying around the Village (which by itself is probably forbidden). What about around the X-C ski trails and MTB trails just SE of the village? On Whistler or Blackcomb mountains themselves (take the gondola up and fly around in the alpine? Perhaps do a flyover around Nairn Falls on the way to Pemberton?

I've read through the basic recreational rules for distances from this and that - now trying to scope out specific prohibited areas.

Thanks!
I literally just made a post about this, check it out. Places to fly are easy to find. I follow Transit Canada's Tool Map: Drone site selection tool | National Research Council Canada Cheers, and nothing but the best flight experience!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-11-25 at 1.13.22 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-11-25 at 1.13.22 AM.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 3
Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks!
Mini - fly responsibly ref: Canadian Aviation Regulations Sec. 900.006. $1,000 fine for infractions
Mavic Pro - above + (all are Canadian Aviation Regulations)abridged summary:
Aircraft must be registered. ref. Sec. 901.02. $1,000 fine
Aircraft must have registration number must be visible on aircraft. ref. Sec. 901.03. $1,000 fine
Must be in Visual Line Of Sight. ref. Sec 901.11. $1,000 fine
Not endanger any person. ref. Sec 901.16. $1,000 fine
Maximum altitude. ref Sec. 901.25 $1,000 fine
Minimum from any other person. ref. Sec. 901.26. $1,000
Not operate from a moving vehicle or vessel. ref. Sec. 901.37. $1,000
Keep a log of all flights. ref. Sec 901.48. $1,000
Keep the logs for between 12 & 24 months. ref. Sec 901.48. Another $1,000
Must hold a valid Pilot Certificate. ref. Sec 901.54 $1,000 & Sec. 901.56. Another $1,000,
Keep a record of Pilot Certificate. ref. Sec. 901.56 (2) $1,000
Easily accessible Pilot Certificate Sec. 901.57. $1,000
Operating without Pilot Certificate. ref. Sec. 901.63. $1,000
Operating without current, (24 months), Pilot Certificate. ref. Sec. 901.65. $1,000; Available. (2). $1,000

It could cost quite a lot to lift that Mavic Pro off the ground. I have left out the obvious distance from airports emergency zones and alcohol consumption. The Pilots license costs $10 and the exam is written online. Registering the Aircraft costs $5.
Getting a drone pilot certificate - Transport Canada
How to apply for a drone pilot certificate.
www.tc.gc.ca
www.tc.gc.ca

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+